1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

H&S Navy Fresco

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by S. Able, May 25, 2010.

1. S. Able

S. Able Senior member

Is 333202 (9oz/10oz) the only navy fresco offered by H&S? I am looking at a remnant trying to determine if this is 333202. I think it may be a bit heavier. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I feel like they may have another navy next to it that's darker. Here's my 333202 below which give a good representation of the true color. It's an excellent "bright" dark navy if that makes sense. I believe it's now discontinued so if you want it better get it now. I highly recommend it.

[​IMG]

3. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

There are three dark navy fabrics in the crispaire book - numbered one above and below 333202.

4. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

There are three dark navy fabrics in the crispaire book - numbered one above and below 333202.

That sounds about right. But 333202 is by the far the best IMHO. The blue is the most distinctive.

5. whnay.

That sounds about right. But 333202 is by the far the best IMHO. The blue is the most distinctive.

No I would agree - the others are far to dark - almost black.

6. S. Able

S. Able Senior member

So no one seems to remember them making a heavier fresco?

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

So no one seems to remember them making a heavier fresco?

I can't reacall to be honest. One or two may have been heavier, but I'm not sure. You can try calling their showroom in New York. I'm sure it'll come up if you Google it.

8. whnay.

The entire crispaire book is 10/11 oz

9. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

The entire crispaire book is 10/11 oz

Interesting. I would have guessed 9-10oz.

10. S. Able

S. Able Senior member

FWIW, they just told me that 333202 is an end bolt and part of the only book of fresco they sold in recent memory. The confirmed for me that it is a 9/10 oz. So did crispaire replace this old fresco book?

11. George

George Senior member

In the old H&S Crispaire book there were some heavyweight Fresco's at the back of the book, 16oz IIRC.

However, there is a new book out and I'm not sure if these have been continued as I only briefly looked t the book.

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

FWIW, they just told me that 333202 is an end bolt and part of the only book of fresco they sold in recent memory. The confirmed for me that it is a 9/10 oz. So did crispaire replace this old fresco book?

I believe that 333202 is a more traditional Fresco (like Minnis) and might be a different weight at 9/10oz, but the regular Crispaire items that make up the bulk of the book are 10/11oz. Not 100% on that, but I recall that being the case.

I also heard they are coming out with a new Crispaire book this Spring if they haven't already.

13. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

The old book has both Crispaire and Fresco. The Frescos are made by Minnis, and there are some heavier ones around 13-15oz in the old book.

The new Crispaire book is out. There is no more Fresco in the new book.

14. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

At the very back of the Crispaire book, there used to be maybe four heavier fabrics. They aren't available any longer. My local tailor has an old book and you can see where these were scissored out. I can't remember if they were 13 or 15 oz. Someone told me they were woven by Minnis.

15. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

At the very back of the Crispaire book, there used to be maybe four heavier fabrics. They aren't available any longer. My local tailor has an old book and you can see where these were scissored out. I can't remember if they were 13 or 15 oz. Someone told me they were woven by Minnis.

IIRC they were 13oz, an ounce or so lighter than Minnis' own. Yes, those were done by Minnis and has the same traditional feel as Minnis Fresco.

16. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

yes, there were a few heavy pieces at the back, heavier than minnis'
    it was a 3 or 4ply
    an aquaintance had a suit made of it

17. fox81

fox81 Senior member

Im pretty sure that stuff is 9/10oz.
    Excuse my lack of technical terms, but whilst that fabric is thicker than most 9/10oz, the open weave means it is less dense, and accordingly weighs less per metre. You could always weigh it and divide by the length.

18. courty

courty Senior member

The Cispaire bunch I have is about a year old. It does not contain anything other than 9/10 cloth.

I would be interested to know what has changed in the new bunch.

By the way, I never thought of Crispaire as a fresco weave - more of a panama weave like Harrison's Frontier.

19. S. Able

S. Able Senior member

Im pretty sure that stuff is 9/10oz.
    Excuse my lack of technical terms, but whilst that fabric is thicker than most 9/10oz, the open weave means it is less dense, and accordingly weighs less per metre. You could always weigh it and divide by the length.

I think I am certainly looking at 333202. The selvege (sp?) contains the word Fresco, so I assume that H&S sourced this through Minnis. Thanks again for all of the help.

20. George

George Senior member

The Cispaire bunch I have is about a year old. It does not contain anything other than 9/10 cloth. I would be interested to know what has changed in the new bunch. By the way, I never thought of Crispaire as a fresco weave - more of a panama weave like Harrison's Frontier.
    The old book had Crispaire Fresco emblazoned on the front. If your book just says Crispaire it's the new one. From a visual point of view Harrisons Frontier is a nicer cloth. Performance wise Fresco just nudges it. Fresco's by the way are a plain weave.