• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&S - Holly **it

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
I've been thinking about embarking on a project to attempt my hand at making a jacket, what are the chances this will end well???

Anyway, I called the H&S store in NYC and they said that don't "normally" sell to individuals but could do a one time favor if the customer really wanted it.

I know, you're wondering what the title implies . . .

. . . so after some small talk on available fabrics/designs she gave me a rough estimate of how much it would cost per yard . . . . $380/yard!!!!

Isn't this steep? Just the Fabric would cost over $1000!!!

Anyone have recomendations for decent fabric for far less than that, say in the range of $50-75, maybe $100 a yard? I don't really have a budget but ~400/yard is definitely too much for me . . .

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I've been thinking about embarking on a project to attempt my hand at making a jacket, what are the chances this will end well???

It will not end well.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fabric is expensive. Since it's unlikely this will end phenomenally well, don't spend so much on material. You are in New York. Go to Tip Top, buy some English wool for $40 or $50 or $60 or whatever it is they're charging. If you shop well, it could be better than H&S (which they usually have, by the way), and at the very least you won't be out so much. Or you could just do as your name suggests...
laugh.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In general, I think that retail prices for 100s wool or so from quality houses like Lesser, H&S and Wain Shiell are at least $130 a yard.

You can also try the ebay seller how6955 -- he has lots of ends of fabric at excellent prices from British mills.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is just an experiment at making a jacket, why not just try some crappy polyester/cotton blend at Walmart for like $2 a yard. Once you get good at it you can then try your hand at the expensive stuff.

And you can then always turn around and sell your completely handmade "artisanal" jacket on the B&S for big bucks.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
Which fabric were you interested in?

I was looking for some wool or wool blend solids

Originally Posted by Connemara
It will not end well.

laugh.gif
love your avatar btw, kinda makes the same statement you did . . .

Originally Posted by chorse123
Fabric is expensive. Since it's unlikely this will end phenomenally well, don't spend so much on material. You are in New York. Go to Tip Top, buy some English wool for $40 or $50 or $60 or whatever it is they're charging. If you shop well, it could be better than H&S (which they usually have, by the way), and at the very least you won't be out so much. Or you could just do as your name suggests...
laugh.gif

I'd though of that, but wanted to know how much the H&S would be, plus I have to go to queens (I think) right?

Originally Posted by RJman
In general, I think that retail prices for 100s wool or so from quality houses like Lesser, H&S and Wain Shiell are at least $130 a yard.

Yeah, but $380 is a far cry from 130. Its probably just my ignorance so far of prices

You can also try the ebay seller how6955 -- he has lots of ends of fabric at excellent prices from British mills.

He doesn't seem to have any decent solids, last I checked . . .

Originally Posted by lee_44106
If this is just an experiment at making a jacket, why not just try some crappy polyester/cotton blend at Walmart for like $2 a yard. Once you get good at it you can then try your hand at the expensive stuff.

It's a thought, but I wanted to be as close as possible to wool so I know whether it turns out well. For some reason, I feel that cotton would look ****** no matter how well I do for a first attempt, of course how well I do has not happened yet, so . . . .

And you can then always turn around and sell your completely handmade "artisanal" jacket on the B&S for big bucks.

Not my current intention, but its a thought, hmmm . . . me a full time tailor for the SF nobles . . . . not bad . . . .

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts

Anyway, I called the H&S store in NYC and they said that don't "normally" sell to individuals but could do a one time favor if the customer really wanted it.

I know, you're wondering what the title implies . . .

. . . so after some small talk on available fabrics/designs she gave me a rough estimate of how much it would cost per yard . . . . $380/yard!!!!

Isn't this steep? Just the Fabric would cost over $1000!!!

Anyone have recomendations for decent fabric for far less than that, say in the range of $50-75, maybe $100 a yard? I don't really have a budget but ~400/yard is definitely too much for me . . .

I'm assuming you have books and such, but if I were to do it by hand, I would also go to a thrift shop and pick out a suit to unassemble and see how it's done. Bonus if you can find an old canvassed suit with moth damage or something.

My understanding is that a place called Tip Top has suitings that may work for much cheaper, without having to resort to polyesters, which will have a different hand and take the needle differently. There's also some fabric shops on the lower east side (I remember one such near the intersection of Essex and Delancy) that may have decent deals, especially on end bolts.

70maiden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

just be careful: ebay seller how6955. I lost a lot of money and time.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=238918

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
What is with you resurrecting 4 year old threads?

At least twice I've commented on a really old thread that I saw on page one. I'm not sure, but I think somebody necro-posts. Then the post gets deleted and it looks like I'm the necromancer.

70maiden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ngredient
This guy is out for blood.

not at all. I rely on styleforum for many purchase decisions and this time I had something to contribute. That is the only reason I´m posting this.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
If you don't have much experience with tailoring, just get a pair of old curtains and use those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads