1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hnwhite, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Jon 1981

Jon 1981 Active Member

Any plain grenadines on the way Harry?

2. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

Thanks Harry. I messaged you a few days ago about my order from February, would appreciate the courtesy of a reply.

3. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior member

Hi all.

Unfortunately, I feel it necessary to report a bad experience that I have had with Harry of H.N. White ties.

You might remember me posting a few months back when I had pre-ordered a tie that never arrived. After I saw other members who had receive the very same tie, I inquired into the matter. Harry told me there was a "mixup" and that, unfortunately, he had run out of the fabric, therefore I would not be able to receive the tie. I am not sure how this occurred, seeing as I had pre-ordered the tie, and received confirmation of the order through e-mail. Business mishaps occur, I guess. I e-mailed Harry about this matter, to which I had not heard back for close to two weeks. I resorted to messaging him through Instagram, seeing as he was still posting pictures on his account there. He messaged me back the next day, apologizing for the delay, which was due to his being sick from a seasonal flu. He also suggested I message him in the future via Instagram, seeing as he gets instant notifications of messages, and thus it would lead to prompt replies on his part. He offered to "make things right" by offering to order the same fabric for me and do a "one off" of the tie I had originally pre-ordered, or to offer a discount on all future purchases. He also showed me a range of nice Madders which "would arrive in February". Ultimately, I decided to reserve one of the new Madders that he said would arrive come February.

Fast forward to the end of March and I still had not heard anything about the fabrics that were supposed to be in by February. I decided to email Harry and ask for a refund. Once again, I was met with stone silence. I resorted to messaging him through Instagram once more to ask him for a refund. This time he answered a "prompt" three days later, saying that he would "of course" refund me for order, and asked me if I still wanted one of the new Madders which would be arriving "in the next couple of weeks". I told him that I would rather proceed with the refund at this point.

Fast forward to May now, roughly a month and a half after I had originally asked for the refund, during which period I had emailed and messaged Harry on Instagram multiple times asking him to please proceed with the refund. Still, no word back on his part during that period of time. Finally, he messaged me on May 9, saying that he was "v sorry for the delay, and that he would look into the order right away." I have messaged him three more times since then, and once again I have not heard back from him. At this point, nor do I expect that I will ever receive a refund. What makes this even more frustrating is that Harry has evidently returned to selling ties, which, if ever he was experiencing hardship in the past, at least shows that he has returned to running his business.

I felt the need to report my experience in order to protect future customers from what could be an unfortunate and preventable experience with him. I think it is reasonable to say that I have been up front about my expectations with Harry, and that he has done nothing but waste my time and my energy. All I have wanted was a refund in order to move on, but he has at every turn left me waiting for days, and at times months on end with zero communication from him. Like most others, I work hard for the money I earn, and when I do choose to spend some of that money on quality menswear items (which is one of my biggest joys in life), I expect to be treated fairly and with courtesy.

If I can offer one piece of advice from all of this, it would be to caution others from ordering ties through Harry. As this thread has made clear recently, I do not sit alone among those who have had dreadful customer service experiences from H.N. White.

Thank you for listening.

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 8:29 PM
  4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

That's just sad to hear. Can't believe he won't give you a refund! Just wondering did you pay with a credit card? In that case you could dispute the charge.

5. Louispph

Louispph Member

This definitely calls my caution. I have got one tie stuck as fabrics ran out. And Harry suggested a refund.
    I said I would rather get anything which was in stock but he didn't reply......