• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&M, Zara, what's the next step up for suits

zapwnza

Reaction score
Is there anything in between these brands and something like Canali. i've searched threads for about an hour now and all i see is zara, h&m for the poor... then hickey freeman, attolini , kiton and what not for well over a grand.

is there no middle ground?
musicboohoo[1].gif

also, is there already a dedicated suit thread? like the definitive slim shirt thread? if so, where would i find it?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The owners of Zara also owns Massimo Dutti, which I believe offers a better made stuff.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million
ebay?

Hell, probably S&K or Men's Warehouse would be a lot better than Zara.

That would be a great way to add 20 years to your age!!

IMO, try Sak's Off-5th or Nordstorm Racks for discount clothing.

Clench Million

Reaction score
sure, but the items won't unravel 10 seconds after you put them on like Zara or H&M.

(Seriously, the last time I bought a Zara button-up, did it quickly because I needed one to go to a party and didn't have time to change, three of the buttons started falling off as I walked around. I had to buy a sewing kit and fix it on the street.)

Luca Brasi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
The owners of Zara also owns Massimo Dutti, which I believe offers a better made stuff.

Good shout. I own 2 and they are very good quality for the price. They don't fit as slim as an H&M though so a few alterations needed on the jacket for me.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million
sure, but the items won't unravel 10 seconds after you put them on like Zara or H&M.

(Seriously, the last time I bought a Zara button-up, did it quickly because I needed one to go to a party and didn't have time to change, three of the buttons started falling off as I walked around. I had to buy a sewing kit and fix it on the street.)

That is the worst exaggeration I've ever heard about H&M/Zara's "everything false apart" argument.

coolnite

Reaction score
There are second best as compared to my Zegnas. Good value for money and they (buttons, stitch) last..
smile.gif

Clench Million

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later
That is the worst exaggeration I've ever heard about H&M/Zara's "everything false apart" argument.

It isn't an exaggeration. It is what happened.

Granted I have a few Zara items and I've only had that happen once, but it is 100% true.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my Zara and H&M stuff is pretty well made. I won't wear the stuff for years and years but at the price it is a good deal i think.

Cut is most important anyways.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some mid-range brands that will offer excellent cuts and decent construction in the 600$ to 900$ range.

Tiger of Sweden comes to mind - nice slim suits. I remember seeing them at about 750$ retail.

Here in QuÃ
00a9.png
bec we have Philippe Dubuc that sells his suits for 850-900$ IIRC.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Thick as Thieves yet, which invariably comes up, belonging to SF's own Get Smart. Skinny suits with a mod aesthetic for 500-600$.

Also, I'm quite happy with my H&M and Zara items. They might not last a decade, but I feel that the price-quality ratio is excellent.

cancel.sing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later

I once bought an odd jacket from H&M and a button fell off as I unbuttoned it to try it on the first time after bringing it home.

snattu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw

Also, I'm quite happy with my H&M and Zara items. They might not last a decade, but I feel that the price-quality ratio is excellent.

Yes, I have couple of shirts from Zara, one of which is second-hand, and all things considering they've been keeping up with wear pretty nicely.

H&M is a bit more problematic, as the fabrics tend to suffer from washing a great deal more than items from other manufacturers. Then again, it might just be my inability to wash them correctly.

I did buy a linen suit from H&M the other day for the hefty price of 75 euros, which is what, 120 USD. And it was the first suit I've tried to fit me, at least to certain extent, right of the rack.

My need for slim-cut is not just due to what is fashionable, but because of my physique, as I'm quite tall and extremely skinny... with long arms to boot.

Boss' suits, which on this forum too, have been suggested as fitting for one after a slimmer cut, are in general turned out to be huge sacks. But I've grown accustomed to that. In this regard Zara and H&M are almost a god-send, not to mention the price point, which is almost perfect considering the quality (or lack of it).

zapwnza

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions guys though most of them point back towards zara and h&m

will take a look at tiger of sweden, thick as thieves

Luca Brasi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zapwnza
thanks for the suggestions guys though most of them point back towards zara and h&m

will take a look at tiger of sweden, thick as thieves

And Massimo Dutti, don't forget them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads