• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&M x Margiela Collaboration

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
I have the full collection available near me. Almost every item in stock. Let me know if you want something and I will proxy for a fee.

Why would someone pay $300 for imitation stuff. Just spend the extra and get the real deal, if you can't then you shouldn't be wearing MMM stuff anyways.

Because every one of the items in the H&M collection is a reproduction of an OG margiela piece that is essentially impossible to find now-a-days. And if you do find the OG piece, it will cost you way more than what it originally retailed for.

skywalker

Reaction score
I'm really disappointed in Maison Martin Margiela, there is just going to be a giant flood of this stuff...

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There already is on e-bay. Tough to find mainline stuff without wading through the H&M crap.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score

There already is on e-bay. Tough to find mainline stuff without wading through the H&M crap.

the funny part is the idiots aren't even getting retail price back. :lol:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone asked for a comparison shot. i'm no expert but the H&M version seems decent to me, at £150 i might keep them as a rainy day beater.

nLIPfl.jpg

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If they survive said rainy day, congratulations.

djt00

Reaction score
Indeed, those boots are only thing that didn't look bad to me. Not sure how long they will last and their leather soles might not be decent? If you like how they look and need affordable side zips, I don't see why not buy those. What is the biggest difference between h&m and real ones? Or do you see differences at all?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
From what I saw, I don't think that's possible given the finish. Was kind of coated/painted on looking.

Obscured

Reaction score
Has anyone tried on the black side zip boots? Would like to know, if they run true to size?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Has anyone tried on the black side zip boots? Would like to know, if they run true to size?

KindOfYoung posted a review of the stuff in random fashion thoughts thread. He said they were pretty decent and ran tts.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went last night at around 6:30 to the Soho H&M, basically on a whim (was passing by on my way to a gallery opening). Had pretty much the opposite of Drew's experience. Was pretty quiet, still some people buzzing around the store but the line for check out was no longer than it usually is at Uniqlo and it wasn't a scene or anything. Most of the stock seemed to be there, but I wasn't paying super close attention. Actually most of the people there seemed to be soho/fashion people there to have a look/laugh, I felt like more than a few people had a smug kind of 'lol check this **** out' look. I took pics of the side-zips, the painted ones just looked too cheap to me, but the black ones seemed ok enough. Would not pay 300 but would consider for less. Generally was my impression of most of the stuff. If my wardrobe wasn't where it is right now I think I'd consider picking up a few things on sale. At retail it's kind of silly. I was attracted to the guitar case bag, but not for 4 hundo. :embar: :foo:

Last edited:

flyindarkness

Reaction score
The quality of the side zip is not bad at all. The suits are also pretty decent with working button holes.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Rosenrot posted some interesting thoughts about this on my site:

The leather biker is made of surprisingly thick leather, rather stiff but I'm guessing it'll get softer with wear, very very substantial especially considering its $249 price tag. It is very similar to the runway version, except for the type of leather used. I hated how it look in the photos because it came across as being plasticky, plus it didn't help that most bloggers were posting pics of it in them worn horribly (the wings at the back were meant to be cut/trimmed/pushed back) hence why it's called 'adjustable' jacket.

The suede jacket was soft, but not in a flimsy way. The red hitched up dress and black/blue sideways dress could have been made from better materials, but they drape beautifully. The plexi shoes seem to be constructed well, hence the high price tag.

Overall, many of the pieces would be better off if they were made with better materials, but I guess most of the money went towards the construction of the pieces. I did have the impression they tried really hard to convey the intelligent design Margiela is known for.

N.B.: I'm making an objective observation regarding the pieces alone, without delving into the discussions of consumerism/fast fashion collab. I was really sad when people picked up the more interesting pieces and said 'wtf is this ****, wtf is that ****'. ...

I would recommend just taking a look at the clothes, they're not as OMFG terrible monstrosity that purists (coughSZcough) are making it to be, even if it's to just satisfy your own curiosity. The sideways dress was the most interesting piece of all. It is actually a big button-up dress, with a hole in the middle of the body where your head goes through. Took me some time to figure it out, but after I did I was rather floored by how crafty the idea was.

I've been buying Margiela for a few years now, but never had the chance to peruse his archival works since most of the significant ones were made when I was just a wee lass. To be able to examine re-issues (albeit of lower quality ones) of his works in person just makes me admire the man even more, and understand why he is lauded as a visionary even until today.

I can't speak for other people's experience regarding this collaboration, but as a closet elitist I will admit that I have learnt more about Margiela's works from this 'exercise' than just reading up about his works in books. But on the other side of the argument, I feel like I'm betraying the man himself for participating in this hyped up consumerist event.

A nice, balanced take on things.

Last edited:

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Went last night at around 6:30 to the Soho H&M, basically on a whim (was passing by on my way to a gallery opening). Had pretty much the opposite of Drew's experience. Was pretty quiet, still some people buzzing around the store but the line for check out was no longer than it usually is at Uniqlo and it wasn't a scene or anything. Most of the stock seemed to be there, but I wasn't paying super close attention. Actually most of the people there seemed to be soho/fashion people there to have a look/laugh, I felt like more than a few people had a smug kind of 'lol check this **** out' look. I took pics of the side-zips, the painted ones just looked too cheap to me, but the black ones seemed ok enough. Would not pay 300 but would consider for less. Generally was my impression of most of the stuff. If my wardrobe wasn't where it is right now I think I'd consider picking up a few things on sale. At retail it's kind of silly. I was attracted to the guitar case bag, but not for 4 hundo. :embar: :foo:

+1 on most of this.

Stopped by the state st store today to browse the collection. There was absolutely no one else looking through it while I was there (at least the men's stuff) and pretty much everything was still fully in stock.

The boots were actually pretty decent- like ARW said the painted ones looked cheap but the black ones were ok... obviously not as nice as the regular MMM ones, but much nicer than regular H&M footwear. There was also a really thick navy knit (don't remember seeing it in the previews) that looked promising and felt ok but I didn't try it on so I dunno about the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads