• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&M Suit

kotu

Reaction score
I just won an H&M suit on ebay and it just doesn't fit quite right. I'm about 5'5", 118 lbs., very thin. I've heard a lot of complaints about H&M pants, but actually the pants fit impecably. However, the jacket just looks and feels too big even though it's supposed to be a 34R (I would have gone for a 34S if I thought they existed). The sleeves are definitely too long by a little more than an inch, and the armpits look very low. It also fits kind of tent-like.

I was wondering if these were complaints I could take to a tailor and have fixed, or if I should just throw it back on ebay. I've heard that tailoring can't really fix armpits, and a friend suggested that I either start buying boys suits or start getting them custom made.

Neither one of those options is really plausible for me considering that: 1) style is of the utmost importance to me and boys suits are just cut so wall street (I prefer a modern slim style) with very billowy pleated pants, and 2) custom suits are certainly out of my price range. Although even if money were no object, it's not like there are tailors ready to make custom suits on every corner in America.

I can take pictures later if it helps.

Thanks so much.

StylingUK

Reaction score
You should have just bought a 34S. The tailors can shorten this one for you and take the jacket in but all together, it'll probably cost you more than the suit. And since your suit is a 34R, the suit will still not look too good after you shorten everything. You will still need to shorten it a bit if you get the 34S since you are 5'5 but it'll look better than altering the one you currently have.

kotu

Reaction score
I would have if the suit came in a 34S.
confused.gif

But I really don't mind spending a little more money on altering the suit since I got it so cheap. I'm just mostly concerned about the armholes. Do you think there's anything a tailor could do for that?

GloStiX

Reaction score
Kotu I'm in a similar situation. I'm about the same build as you, 5'7" 125.

I tried on a 34R in the H&M store, still too long for me, but I'm a 37 in the chest so I got a 36R and had it shortened. I bought pants separately, and actually had to size up 3 inches to 32 since they are so slim.

Overall, I have the same complaints as you do. Pants fit alright, suit's alright too but armholes are huge and the suit is still wide and I don't like how much it flares out under the waist.

Have you heard of CBUnitedStyle (http://www.cbunitedstyle.com/)? They make cheap ultra-slim modern suits (1-button, good for us shorter guys) with high armholes and all that. Only downside is that they don't have a walk-in store so I have no clue about the quality of material or actual fit (they also have a no returns policy).

Any input from other SF'ers?

PS show us some pics

dopamine

Reaction score
I've found that H&M's 34R is about comparable to, if a bit smaller than, most other slim brands' 36R, which might explain your problem.

GloStiX

Reaction score
Where does one get a suit like the one in your avatar?

lol a fellow Philadelphian I see

shopintello

Reaction score
the cbunitedstyle suits are really slim fit, here are the measurements for xsmall:
shoulder= 15.5in, chest=34inch, sleeve=25in, v.length=26in
they hv pretty decent feedback on eBay, there is also a phone number where to contact them on their website if it helps.

lightsaber

Reaction score
I agree with the recommendation for cbunitedstyle. I also recommend a British company called Topman. You can order a variety of 34S jackets on their website, all very slim fit, with modern single-button design, and matching 28S trousers. A two-piece suit will run you around 200 to 300 USD from them. Like cb, theirs are mostly polyester/viscose blends, but if you're in the OP's situation you have to put style, fit and design ahead of fabric...

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kotu
I'm about 5'5", 118 lbs.,

Return the suit and buy some steaks and a sack of potatoes
dl

habitue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kotu
style is of the utmost importance to me

And then you buy a H&M suit made of wool from the Polyester sheep?
baldy[1].gif

litho

Reaction score
an ebayed H&M suit. now that is saving your £ !

shopintello

Reaction score
yesstyle quality is so so, although the pictures look cool, i have hear lots of people that the brand you re buying doesn t always correspond to the brand you are receiving. i'd rather try an h&m suit at the store or at least look for a store online that accept exchange like cb

superseiyan

Reaction score
Hi (I tried to find a more current thread, there's a few splintered H&M suit threads).

I too am interested in sizing information.

Conventional off the rack suits, even “slim” from like Mens Warehouse are HUGE in 40R.

However, my actual chest is 38”. I’m an athletic build, but I’m not tiny—5’9”, 170 lbs. I wear size small/medium in my clothes, switching depending on the item.

How are these H&M black label suits running, are their chest measurements closer to the label than other brands?

I’m torn between a 38R jacket and a 40R jacket (the suit pants will be 34R regardless).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads