• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&M overcoat - worth a try or avoid?

MHD

Reaction score
I know H&M is poor quality, I own one of their peacoats and while it's still ok after a year I understand it's not luxurious or well-made garment. It is warm and I like the look of it, but it is a little roomy for me (I'm skinny and tall) and the fit overall isn't perfect, also the wool isn't soft, but you don't feel it much because of the lining. It contains about 50% wool.
Anyway I started looking for another coat and again I found the style that I like at H&M (haven't tried in store yet). I looked at other stores, but found nothing interesting or even worse quality (in terms of material). Second hand shops don't have a lot of items in my area and there are very few "quality" stores that I could go to. I know I could buy stuff online, but I prefer to try clothes in store.

Here is the H&M coat: https://www2.hm.com/en_eur/productpage.0880485002.html
It caught my attention because it says it contains 70% wool and 10% cashmere. Though I am curious what is "recycled wool" and if it even is wool or just plastic advertised as wool? I mainly wanted to upgrade from H&M peacoat but I'm back at H&M again :/ I don't know if more wool and label "premium quality" counts as an upgrade.

JackEst3

Reaction score
I think I have the same coat, though I bought it discounted to 75 EUR. Haven't worn it yet, so I can't say much about the warmth/quality.

Although for a slim body type it seems good, I went a size up to be able to wear a suit or a jacket undeneath.

H&M "Premium Quality" does seem better made than their standard items, I have some T-shirts from them made of nice cotton and a shirt.

What you should do depends on he weather in your areas. Since it's still autumn, you probably don't need the coat right now. I'd say look around a bit more and possibly wait for some sales.
Ebay might be a good place for outerwear too, if you can be bothered.

MHD

Reaction score
I think I have the same coat, though I bought it discounted to 75 EUR. Haven't worn it yet, so I can't say much about the warmth/quality.

Although for a slim body type it seems good, I went a size up to be able to wear a suit or a jacket undeneath.

H&M "Premium Quality" does seem better made than their standard items, I have some T-shirts from them made of nice cotton and a shirt.

What you should do depends on he weather in your areas. Since it's still autumn, you probably don't need the coat right now. I'd say look around a bit more and possibly wait for some sales.
Ebay might be a good place for outerwear too, if you can be bothered.
Yeah I'll wait for a couple of weeks and see if there's an other deal and/or sale. How was the fit of your coat (if you tried it on)? The main problem on my old H&M coat were shoulders/armholes, because I also had to size up of because of my height, but it was a little too wide.

JackEst3

Reaction score
I'm happy with the fit. I'm slim as well and it doesn't look baggy or loose, but a jacket fits comfortably underneath as well. Peacoats are usually cut a bit looser as well.

As for length, I'm 179 cm and the coat size EU 48 comes down to almost knee-length, and the sleeves go slightly past my wrists, but I don't necessarily mind that on an overcoat.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
With an item like that the thing to remember is that the majority of the cost of making it has been invested in the company's marketing campaigns and the cost of transporting the item from China or Bangladesh or wherever it was made. The actual cost of producing it is likely to be pennies (look at the price of buying clothes direct from China-based manufacturers to see what I mean) so the material will be low quality and begin to fall apart or look very worn after a short time.
That's just my experience of buying from companies like H&M/Gap over the years. And is the driving force behind why I have tried to switch to buying clothes from more heritage or artisanal manufacturers over the past few years.

Having said that these kind of clothes are obviously very successful for a reason, and that's because they fit in well with most people's lives, because they are happier to buy a new low-cost garment every year or two, rather than buying an expensive one and taking care of it for 10-20 years.
Age may have something to do with it , perhaps? A coat like the one you mentioned I would have been content with in my 20s when I might have worn it every day, day in day out, through the winter months - as my lifestyle back then would have been suited to that sort of behaviour. In my 40s, not having to go to the office every day any more (not purely due to Covid, but also due to lifestyle choices I've made as I got older to let me spend more time with my family) I don't need a "runaround" coat so much that will fit every situation I am likely to find myself in throughout a day. So I can spend a bit more on better quality products, knowing they will not be run into the ground within a year.

MHD

Reaction score
With an item like that the thing to remember is that the majority of the cost of making it has been invested in the company's marketing campaigns and the cost of transporting the item from China or Bangladesh or wherever it was made. The actual cost of producing it is likely to be pennies (look at the price of buying clothes direct from China-based manufacturers to see what I mean) so the material will be low quality and begin to fall apart or look very worn after a short time.
That's just my experience of buying from companies like H&M/Gap over the years. And is the driving force behind why I have tried to switch to buying clothes from more heritage or artisanal manufacturers over the past few years.

Having said that these kind of clothes are obviously very successful for a reason, and that's because they fit in well with most people's lives, because they are happier to buy a new low-cost garment every year or two, rather than buying an expensive one and taking care of it for 10-20 years.
Age may have something to do with it , perhaps? A coat like the one you mentioned I would have been content with in my 20s when I might have worn it every day, day in day out, through the winter months - as my lifestyle back then would have been suited to that sort of behaviour. In my 40s, not having to go to the office every day any more (not purely due to Covid, but also due to lifestyle choices I've made as I got older to let me spend more time with my family) I don't need a "runaround" coat so much that will fit every situation I am likely to find myself in throughout a day. So I can spend a bit more on better quality products, knowing they will not be run into the ground within a year.
Yeah, I'm 19 so I guess I look for more modern cuts because I don't want to stand out too much. Most people in school wear sweatpants and hoodies and I often feel overdressed in a collared shirt. I would like to buy a quality coat someday, but there are only fashion shops around here - h&m, zara, pull&bear.. Everything is low quality. Buying online would be probably the best shot but I want to try things on otherwise it's time consuming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads