• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

h&m buys cheap monday

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting from businessweek dated 6 March 2008

H&M buys Cheap Monday jeans maker

STOCKHOLM, Sweden

Fashion retailer Hennes & Mauritz AB said Thursday it has signed a deal to buy privately owned Swedish fashion company Fabric Scandinavien AB, maker of Cheap Monday jeans.

H&M said it has bought a 60 percent stake in Fabric Scandinavien for 564 million kronor ($92 million) from the founders of the company, Adam Friberg, Lars Karlsson, Orjan Andersson and Linda Friberg. It also has the possibility to acquire the remaining stake within three to five years.

Apart from designing Cheap Monday jeans, Fabric Scandinavien also runs the store chains Weekday and Monki in Sweden.

Weekday is an urban unisex concept with a total of six stores, while Monki's 12 stores are aimed at young women.

With their punk-rock style, trendy tight fit and affordable price, Cheap Monday jeans have become a hot commodity in recent years and are now sold in more than 1,000 stores globally.

H&M said the company will be run as a stand alone subsidiary within the H&M Group.

In the financial year ended 2007, Fabric Scandinavien had revenue of 250 million kronor ($41 million) and an operating profit of 67 million kronor ($11 million).

H&M said it expects revenue for 2008 to reach about 400 million kronor ($65 million).

"We have been impressed by Fabric Scandinavien's development for a long time and we see a potential to develop stores and concepts in other markets. By working together we can accelerate the growth further. We can also do it in a more efficient manner by drawing on H&M's experience and knowledge of, for example, production, logistics and establishment," H&M Chief Executive Rolf Eriksen said.

crush

Reaction score
and another small one gets swallowed
frown.gif

crush

Reaction score
also, look at the numbers:

2007: 41 million revenue(with a remarkable 11 mil profit)
2008: should reach 65 million

more than 50% up in 1 year?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
so i wonder if UO will stop selling CM?

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe with all the money they make from this they can finally open a web store for America!!

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's quite a bit money for just a stake of Cheap Monday - I wouldn't have thought that they'd be worth that much.

Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
seriously! They spend $91mil on Cheap Monday and can't invest the less than 1% of that needed for expanding the web store to the states?
It would take more than one million for a company like H&M to run a successful online store.

ww90

Reaction score
was never a fan of cheap monday

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
It would take more than one million for a company like H&M to run a successful online store.
true, but its just untapped profit that they are ignoring.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
true, but its just untapped profit that they are ignoring.
It would not be profitable at all for them right now. They only have a tiny bit of market share in the U.S., and they need to continue putting their money into retail growth.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Robin is correct. As big as h&m is here among fashion forums, but most people don't know about it. Same with Uniqlo. Don't they both offer online shopping overseas? Hopefully, while i'm still young they'll grow to the point where they'd make good money going online here in the states.

Cheap Monday jeans are already popping up in every store that sells clothes to relatively young people. I can't imagine how many more will carry them in the next year.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
YOu are right, it would but they already have a sucessful online store established. All they need to do is add the functionality to make it available to the USA which isn't nearly as large of a project.
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Robin is correct. As big as h&m is here among fashion forums, but most people don't know about it. Same with Uniqlo. Don't they both offer online shopping overseas? Hopefully, while i'm still young they'll grow to the point where they'd make good money going online here in the states.
I dunno, H&M is already in half the malls on both coasts and probably ever major metro area in the Midwest. I wouldn't want to wait for them to become as prevalent as Target before I can place an online order for a tshirt.

hi-val

Reaction score
Online retailing also requires distribution centers in many parts of the country. You'd need to set up an almost completely separate distribution system compared to distro -> retail because you're handling lots of small orders, posting them, etc. It requires having millions of dollars of inventory in a warehouse as well.

(I used to work in an auto parts warehouse, I have a general sense of how it goes)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics