• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

H Lesser & Sons.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
9,420
Reaction score
294
How hard is it to source outside of the UK? I'd like to get my hands on a few books but I'm at a loss on how to get access to them in the States.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,891
Reaction score
4,054
Call Jodek in California, their U.S. distributors. You can ask them to send samples. Just be prepared to ask for specific colors and weaves (i.e. "grey sharkskin"), and have a reason ready for why you can't just go to your tailor's shop and look around. This worked for me.

Once you have the cloth number, Rubinacci should be able to order it for you I'd think.
 

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
40,703
Reaction score
31,727
David Lesser is very responsive - he can send you a bunch of samples if you explain what you are looking for. He sent me about 30-35 swatches when I emailed him, including several that were to be included in future bunches.
 

CMD.EXE

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2010
Messages
188
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Call Jodek in California, their U.S. distributors. You can ask them to send samples. Just be prepared to ask for specific colors and weaves (i.e. "grey sharkskin"), and have a reason ready for why you can't just go to your tailor's shop and look around. This worked for me.

Once you have the cloth number, Rubinacci should be able to order it for you I'd think.



FYI even branches of the same company i.e. H&S NY branch and London branch, do not like to send out books/bunches if your order is not going through their office. I'm not saying you can't, as I and other people have done it, but legitimate tailors now have trouble getting books because of people just asking for them and eventually they have to ration them.

Contact the head office first.
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,891
Reaction score
4,054
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE
FYI even branches of the same company i.e. H&S NY branch and London branch, do not like to send out books/bunches if your order is not going through their office. I'm not saying you can't, as I and other people have done it, but legitimate tailors now have trouble getting books because of people just asking for them and eventually they have to ration them. Contact the head office first.
Noted. I was totally upfront with them, though. When they asked why I couldn't just see my tailor, I explained that he is based in Italy and it's a pain to have Lesser swatches sent from there.
 

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
1,585
Reaction score
54
Do you just want to look at their books...or do you want to purchase the cloth yourself and then C.M.T. with the tailor which you plan on using?
 

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
9,420
Reaction score
294
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Do you just want to look at their books...or do you want to purchase the cloth yourself and then C.M.T. with the tailor which you plan on using?

Look at their books, I'll have my tailor purchase from them directly.
 

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
7,083
Reaction score
2,650
Contact Jodek in LA, ask who has their books in your area, ask if they would set up an opportunity for you to see the books.
 

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
9,420
Reaction score
294
Originally Posted by Despos
Contact Jodek in LA, ask who has their books in your area, ask if they would set up an opportunity for you to see the books.

That's a good idea, thanks Chris.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
158
Originally Posted by gdl203
David Lesser is very responsive - he can send you a bunch of samples if you explain what you are looking for. He sent me about 30-35 swatches when I emailed him, including several that were to be included in future bunches.

I think this is approximately the number that you need to make one of those FNB patchwork jackets, so David did you a solid.




- B
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
158
Originally Posted by Despos
Contact Jodek in LA, ask who has their books in your area, ask if they would set up an opportunity for you to see the books.

Just give whnay. your books. Like a reward for good deeds.


- B
 

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
40,703
Reaction score
31,727
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I think this is approximately the number that you need to make one of those FNB patchwork jackets, so David did you a solid.



Not in FNB's size....
 

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
40,703
Reaction score
31,727
I think I could maybe make a 13 oz patchwork sheath with those
 

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
7,083
Reaction score
2,650
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You're trim, though, so it should be enough.


- B


How many Lesser swatches to make a DB Topcoat?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,840
Messages
9,460,546
Members
198,258
Latest member
chuckfam
Top