1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

H&K or T&A shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NewYorkBuck, Jan 19, 2005.

1. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

Anyone have any suggestions where to buy either Hilditch & Key or Turnbull & Asser shirts? Im not looking for retail, as I live in NYC, but I havent been able to find them for anything less than retail either, even on the web.

Any suggestion?

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

There is one H & K shirt left on Ben Silver's factory outlet link (bensilver.com). H & K's own website seems to be having a sale, as you can order a number of shirts for like $85 or so.

3. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

H&K sale by mail is excellent and, at $95 per shirt, the price is very good compared to the $225 retail price at Saks. I am very happy with my H&K shirts. Can't help you with T&A below retail.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Lets compare the two first (RTW):

Well, NM usually has sales where one can find T&A on sale, but the problem with T&A RTW is that the patterns don't match and they more often than not only carry one collar style: semi-spread. As well, the cloth IMHO in T&A's RTW is not towards the same level as that in RTW H&K. The nice thing about T&A though is their fantastic MOP button and their bold colors, unlike that found in any other shirt. The least expensive price I ever paid for a T&A was at NM in Bal Harbour, I think I paid $89, but this was like 2 years ago.

Whereas H&K is readily available on sale for about $85 direct from London on the companies website and they have the advantage of matching all patterns and providing two collar style: semi-spread and cutaway. AS well, whilst they do not utilize MOP buttons, they do use shell, which even though they lack luster, they are still a great material to make shirt buttons.

Jon.

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

If you are okay with used shirts, eBay is a good source.  Based upon my experience, T&A inevitably incites bidding wars, while H&K sells for around $20-$30 with very few bids.  Strange, but true.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

It's the name that sells, nothing more nothing less.

Jon.

7. DPDNYC

DPDNYC Active Member

I've wanted to order a shirt from H&K to check out the quality and fit, but the 20 pound shipping charge to the U.S. just seems excessive to me. Am I the only one who finds this prohibitive?

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

If you want to check out the fit, just go to Saks (5th Ave location) and try one on. If you like them order several from H&K to offset the almost $40 shipping charge into several shirts, not just one "˜test' shirt. As well that is a flat fee H&K charges, regardless how many shirts they ship to you, plus it includes all import fees.

Jon.

9. demeis

demeis Senior member

Don't know what size you are or if you want to travel but last week (thursday) i was at woodbury commons and the off 5th had probibly about 20 H&K shirts there that were kind of hidden and off from the normal shirts for about $75 each, saddly nothing in my size :Sigh:

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

Retail price is 121 euros in Paris, £70 in London.

How can it be so much in US?

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(bry2000 @ Jan. 19 2005,20:18) H&K sale by mail is excellent and, at $95 per shirt, the price is very good compared to the $225 retail price at Saks. I am very happy with my H&K shirts. Can't help you with T&A below retail.
    Retail price is 121 euros in Paris, £70 in London. How can it be so much in US?
    You are talking about H&K, not T&A prices correct? Jon.

12. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ Feb. 18 2005,01:05)
    H&K sale by mail is excellent and, at $95 per shirt, the price is very good compared to the $225 retail price at Saks. Â I am very happy with my H&K shirts. Â Can't help you with T&A below retail.
    Retail price is 121 euros in Paris, £70 in London. How can it be so much in US?
    You are talking about H&K, not T&A prices correct? Jon.
    correct

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Well, one of the reasons for the price difference, is that the $ to Euro exchange is crappy for us over on the other side of the pond. As well, there are fewer stores that carry them and that makes them for of a novelty item. I think Saks is the only nationwide retailer carries H&K, and even then not in all of their stores.

Same with T&A, only the 2 T&A stores in BH and Manhattan and Neiman Marcus carry T&A (as far as I know) year in and year out.

Jon.