• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H. Huntsman -- What Say Ye?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does H. Hunstman compare to other Savile Row tailors?

I'm referring to their off-the-rack suiting.

How would you rank them in comparison to: Chester Barrie, Anderson, etc.? How do they compare to Oxxford?

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I just bought a Huntman cashmere sportcoat off of ebay. Workmanship is great, but you can defintely tell it is a "fitted" 44. If you like a lot of drape and huge arm holes, prob not for you.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
H Huntsman's RTW was made by Cheshire Clothing, which also made for Chester Barrie, the top lines of Spencer Hart, Ozwald Boateng and Gieves and Hawkes (not diffusion line "Gieves") and probably a few others. Cheshire Clothing has now gone into liquidation, so there are no quality ready-made suitmakers left in England. Cheshire Clothing was the suit manufacturer created from Chester Barrie after Chester Barrie went bankrupt. Chester Barrie is now a brand and a name on a shop and belongs to someone else. Huntsman may now be using Cantarelli. Richard James, most normal Gieves & Hawkes and many others use a few other factories in England but their quality is nothing special.

Anderson & Sheppard does not offer RTW, nor do Poole (outside of Japan), Sedwells, Dege and most of the smaller houses.

Oxxford will have the most handwork. Its silhouette is markedly different from a British silhouette, bar its Radcliffe model and perhaps some of its Crest line. It's a difficult comparison. It is probably better made than anything you will find in England.

Kilgour's RTW suits are now made in China. They are supposed to be excellent [insert "however"].

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJMan
H Huntsman's RTW was made by Cheshire Clothing, which also made for Chester Barrie, the top lines of Spencer Hart, Ozwald Boateng and Gieves and Hawkes (not diffusion line "Gieves") and probably a few others. Cheshire Clothing has now gone into liquidation, so there are no quality ready-made suitmakers left in England. Cheshire Clothing was the suit manufacturer created from Chester Barrie after Chester Barrie went bankrupt. Chester Barrie is now a brand and a name on a shop and belongs to someone else. Huntsman may now be using Cantarelli. Richard James, most normal Gieves & Hawkes and many others use a few other factories in England but their quality is nothing special.

Thanks for the update, RJMan. I had heard about Cheshire going into liquidation, but I didn't know what came of it.

progressive

Reaction score
On the general Huntsman question, I very much like the one button style and overall sihlouette, with softer shoulders, though the flair in the skirt is a bit much for my taste.

Who needs the second button on a two button suit anyway? If I ever make it to bespoke, I plan to have a one button made for fun. May not wear it to work, but I could see plenty of use for it.

Oh, and since this is my first post on the clothes forum, I would say that my user name is tied to a store I used to like in college and not my overall taste in menswear. Probably somewhere between american traditional and british style (southern roots coming out) in overall tastes. I have already read a lot of great advice here and enjoy the banter.

observer

Reaction score
Anyone in the know about who makes the rtw/mtm for Richard Anderson

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by observer
Anyone in the know about who makes the rtw/mtm for Richard Anderson
I haven't check recently ... but this is not exactly a recent thread.

I used to be Cheshire Clothing ... which included most of the tailoring talent from the earlier Chester Barrie.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tony Lutwyche resuscitated Cheshire Clothing (by rehiring many of its workers) as Cheshire Bespoke, which has continued making RTW and MTM for certain names. Not sure if Huntsman or RA are among them.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Tony Lutwyche resuscitated Cheshire Clothing (by rehiring many of its workers) as Cheshire Bespoke, which has continued making RTW and MTM for certain names. Not sure if Huntsman or RA are among them.

Huntsman RTW is from the Lutwyche / Cheshire concern.

Chow Chow

Reaction score
I saw a sports coat from Huntsman made a few years ago in their 1-button style, with slanted pockets and a ticket pocket. It was quite nice. I found a label inside indicating the maker was Cantarelli.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

Anderson & Sheppard does not offer RTW, nor do Poole (outside of Japan), Sedwells, Dege and most of the smaller houses.

Oxxford will have the most handwork. Its silhouette is markedly different from a British silhouette, bar its Radcliffe model and perhaps some of its Crest line. It's a difficult comparison. It is probably better made than anything you will find in England.

Kilgour's RTW suits are now made in China. They are supposed to be excellent [insert "however"].

I bought a suit and sb blazer from CB last early fall from their store in Saville Row. The guy claimed they were still being made by CB for what that's worth but what convinced me they probably were was the fit which I've been experiencing for 40 years. The items I bought felt just like all the other ones I've purchased. I've never had to throw one of their items out for any other reason than that I used to be a 38 long and now I'm a 42 long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads