• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H. Herzfield in New York

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just wondering whether any members know anything about H. Herzfield in New York. I walked by the store the other day on East 57th street (I think they used to be on Madison). They had some nice looking shirts in the windows.

Thanks in advance.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Great for old world accessories like sized gloves and such. The clothing generally does not fit me, but it's certainly well made.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally an excellent store. Sometimes a dog or two. Haven't bought anything there in a decade or so since the handle fell of my two-day old umbrella.

lisapop

Reaction score
Outstanding array of quality accessories, especially Viyella shirts and flannel shirts.  One caution, though, to not use their in-house custom tailor, who's a joke...an expensive, $4,000 a suit joke.  Have not returned to the store since because I wasn't amused.
Grayson

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
4 grand for a botched suit does not sound funny to me.

lisapop

Reaction score
The joke was one me because it wasn't until the second fitting that the guy, Anthony Zanghi (sp?), conceded to me that he is not a tailor but a "designer" (Whatever that means).  Plus, he was perpetually sick and kept sneezing and coughing on me.  His father, it should be noted, was, in fact, a highly regarded tailor and ran the New York outpost of the venerable Bernard Weatherill firm many years ago.  This time, the branch fell way far from the tree.
Grayson

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Yeah, if you want to spend $4,000 on "designer" cr*p there are definitely better sources
smile.gif
It seems odd that his father was a tailor but he did not pick up any tailoring skills.

lisapop

Reaction score
It seems odd that his father was a tailor but he did not pick up any tailoring skills.

Noblesse oblige.
Grayson

lisapop

Reaction score
If you're ever at Herzfeld, this Zanghi character looks like Eddie Munster all grown up, and all grown out.
Grayson

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
This is why, at least for suits, I generally stick to top-quality RTW (Oxxford, Brioni) bought at C21 or Filene's. It helps that I'm an easy fit off the rack.

Just out of curiousity--if you're buying MTM or full custom at a small haberdashery, what do you do if the suit is completely botched? Can you simply demand a refund (since you presumably wouldn't trust them to make you another suit)?

lisapop

Reaction score
This is why, at least for suits, I generally stick to top-quality RTW (Oxxford, Brioni)

You're a wise man.  This increases your chances of pleasing results.

Just out of curiousity--if you're buying MTM or full custom at a small haberdashery, what do you do if the suit is completely botched? Can you simply demand a refund (since you presumably wouldn't trust them to make you another suit)?

Any store with a modicum of integrity will offer to replace the suit or to fix it; most likely fix it.  In my case with Herzfeld, the suit was made a couple sizes too small and the trousers were made too short, without sufficient material to lengthen them, so it was a lost cause and I didn't have the desire to deal with them on the recourse.  Same deal with Richard Anderson on Savile Row---cut the trousers way too short and didn't leave enough material to lengthen them.  Given you can cut the trousers a mile long to begin with, this is inexcusable.
Grayson

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words, Grayson.

My two most recent purchases were a Brioni at C21 for $560 (an absurdly low price, and since I like Brioni's cut, really a no-brainer) and an Oxxford at FB for $799. For the Oxxford, I gambled a bit since they originally put it on the floor for $999 and it was the only one in my size...A lovely gray pinstripe.

lisapop

Reaction score
My two most recent purchases were a Brioni at C21 for $560 (an absurdly low price, and since I like Brioni's cut, really a no-brainer) and an Oxxford at FB for $799. For the Oxxford, I gambled a bit since they originally put it on the floor for $999 and it was the only one in my size...A lovely gray pinstripe.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Pay Full Retail.
Grayson

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Could not agree with you more, Grayson. This raises the question: why go to the trouble with the bespoke or MTM process unless (a) money's no object or (b) you're a difficult fit? Or--and this applies more to bespoke than to MTM--is it as much the process of bespoke that you love as it is the finished garment itself?

lisapop

Reaction score
Could not agree with you more, Grayson. This raises the question: why go to the trouble with the bespoke or MTM process unless (a) money's no object or (b) you're a difficult fit? Or--and this applies more to bespoke than to MTM--is it as much the process of bespoke that you love as it is the finished garment itself?

You're asking quite the salient question.  Having thrown in the trash a few dozen suits made by various custom/bespoke tailors in England and NY, and thus at least classing up the Secaucus, NJ garbage dumps (Hopefully, they've been recycled into something of actual usefulness and value), it's my experience that there are so many charlatans and con artists in and around the trade, it's scary.  With ready-made, you have the foresight of knowing what the final product will be.  MTM offers a few added bells and whistles (Choice of cloth, center vent vs. side, working sleeve buttons, etc) however if you find a ready made "house style" that fits you, you are golden.  The money you'd otherwise waste on bad tailors can be saved for a Summer house.
Grayson

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads