1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

H. Herzfield in New York

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Patrick Bateman, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

Hi All,
    Just wondering whether any members know anything about H. Herzfield in New York. I walked by the store the other day on East 57th street (I think they used to be on Madison). They had some nice looking shirts in the windows.

Thanks in advance.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great for old world accessories like sized gloves and such. The clothing generally does not fit me, but it's certainly well made.

3. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Generally an excellent store. Sometimes a dog or two. Haven't bought anything there in a decade or so since the handle fell of my two-day old umbrella.

4. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Outstanding array of quality accessories, especially Viyella shirts and flannel shirts.  One caution, though, to not use their in-house custom tailor, who's a joke...an expensive, $4,000 a suit joke.  Have not returned to the store since because I wasn't amused.
    Grayson

5. Patrick Bateman

4 grand for a botched suit does not sound funny to me.

6. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

The joke was one me because it wasn't until the second fitting that the guy, Anthony Zanghi (sp?), conceded to me that he is not a tailor but a "designer" (Whatever that means).  Plus, he was perpetually sick and kept sneezing and coughing on me.  His father, it should be noted, was, in fact, a highly regarded tailor and ran the New York outpost of the venerable Bernard Weatherill firm many years ago.  This time, the branch fell way far from the tree.
    Grayson

7. Patrick Bateman

Yeah, if you want to spend $4,000 on "designer" cr*p there are definitely better sources [​IMG] It seems odd that his father was a tailor but he did not pick up any tailoring skills.

8. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Noblesse oblige.
    Grayson

9. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

If you're ever at Herzfeld, this Zanghi character looks like Eddie Munster all grown up, and all grown out.
    Grayson

10. Patrick Bateman

This is why, at least for suits, I generally stick to top-quality RTW (Oxxford, Brioni) bought at C21 or Filene's. It helps that I'm an easy fit off the rack.

Just out of curiousity--if you're buying MTM or full custom at a small haberdashery, what do you do if the suit is completely botched? Can you simply demand a refund (since you presumably wouldn't trust them to make you another suit)?

11. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

You're a wise man.  This increases your chances of pleasing results.

Any store with a modicum of integrity will offer to replace the suit or to fix it; most likely fix it.  In my case with Herzfeld, the suit was made a couple sizes too small and the trousers were made too short, without sufficient material to lengthen them, so it was a lost cause and I didn't have the desire to deal with them on the recourse.  Same deal with Richard Anderson on Savile Row---cut the trousers way too short and didn't leave enough material to lengthen them.  Given you can cut the trousers a mile long to begin with, this is inexcusable.
    Grayson

12. Patrick Bateman

Thank you for your kind words, Grayson.

My two most recent purchases were a Brioni at C21 for $560 (an absurdly low price, and since I like Brioni's cut, really a no-brainer) and an Oxxford at FB for $799. For the Oxxford, I gambled a bit since they originally put it on the floor for $999 and it was the only one in my size...A lovely gray pinstripe.

13. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Pay Full Retail.
    Grayson

14. Patrick Bateman

Could not agree with you more, Grayson. This raises the question: why go to the trouble with the bespoke or MTM process unless (a) money's no object or (b) you're a difficult fit? Or--and this applies more to bespoke than to MTM--is it as much the process of bespoke that you love as it is the finished garment itself?

15. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

You're asking quite the salient question.  Having thrown in the trash a few dozen suits made by various custom/bespoke tailors in England and NY, and thus at least classing up the Secaucus, NJ garbage dumps (Hopefully, they've been recycled into something of actual usefulness and value), it's my experience that there are so many charlatans and con artists in and around the trade, it's scary.  With ready-made, you have the foresight of knowing what the final product will be.  MTM offers a few added bells and whistles (Choice of cloth, center vent vs. side, working sleeve buttons, etc) however if you find a ready made "house style" that fits you, you are golden.  The money you'd otherwise waste on bad tailors can be saved for a Summer house.
    Grayson

16. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Certain members have gotten a little far afield in knocking H. Herzfeld for a troubled custom experience.

It's one of the few independent stores left selling British-American inspired goods. It is one of a dying breed.

In my opinion its selections and service are excellent. I would say that its strengths are in shirts, ties, and accessories. The sales staff are all experienced, traditional clothing men. You won't find a pretty salesgirl who is trying to sell $500 shirts and mens hats. The staff and the establishment are old school.

The prices are reasonable. They carry Hickey Freeman and their own private label in suits.

In sum, I recommend them, and you can mention my name.

Mark Seitelman

17. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

They have some nice, quirky RTW merchandise. Be prepared to be attacked by the salespeople as soon as you walk into the store. It is not a place to browse freely. I met at one point with that same tailor or designer that Marc references. Was not impressed by the designer.

18. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

The sales staff might be perceived as aggressive, but they mean well and for the most part just trying to demonstrate good customer service rather than trying to pressure you to buy.  I've heard customers there, especially those from out of town and visiting from overseas expressing their appreciation for that personal attention at a time when other NY stores show indifference to their customers at best, and contempt at worst.  The owner is also a very, very nice, unpretentious guy who knows his stuff---Only gripe is the bad custom suit experience.
    Grayson

19. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I will not jump into the Tony Zanghi Jr. discussion.

I will say that the sales help and owners are really good people. Knowlegable

They are not inexpensive, but the quality of their offerings are all top shelf.

They used to do a huge business with South American businessmen.
    There style is a little old and stuffy though. They appeal to an older demograhpic.

20. Patrick Bateman

Gentlemen, As always, it's a pleasure learning from your responses. [​IMG]