• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H Harris?

zoorado

Reaction score
Does anyone knows what happened to H Harris, who once tailored for the Duke of Windsor?
As a tailoring firm, George Frazier, in a 1960 Esquire article, considered it unsurpassed in quality. Was it's demise (I presume it's no longer around) documented anywhere?

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was sold to Rogers Peet in late 1961 and became a department of that company's store at 600 Fifth Avenue.

zoorado

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I gathered at AAAC that it became part of Rogers Peet & Co. I guess it went under along with Rogers Peet in the 1980s.

Reaction score
I worked for Rogers Peet Company in the Advertising Department at The Broadway offices. We , as H.Harris custom tailor made all the suits for JFK. Mr. Harrtis would go to the Waldorf when Mr.Kennedy was in NY and fit him. He usually purchased 8 suits at a time. > Mrs.Lincoln, his secretary bought him an umbrella for his birthday from our D.C. store. There were also stores in Boston/When the President was assassinated I removed references from our mailer. That's where I was when it happened. I also worked at 42nd street store and we had one in Paramus NJ when I came out of the Army in '67. Moved to Dallas and had a position available at Dreyfuss here but not a UNION store. No money.Had the best clothing experience, Learned everything from Harry Rothstein at 42nd street

Reaction score
Funny response from MR Harris. As I recall , Mr Kennedys suits started at $800 apiece. Our store suits were in the 300-500 range. Our 3 piece University Suits for young men started at $100.00 His same as everyone was not correct. I am sure that was no ones business except the President's

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any connection with Harry Harris, New York custom shirt-
maker around the same time? He made my Dad's shirts.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics