• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gynecomastia

natnib

Reaction score
Can a 'substantial' chest be reduced with exercise? I'm not a particularly fat person, my BMI is about 23 and my body fat % is approximately 20%. I was considering surgery but that is pretty drastic. Intense cardio is something I have tried before, I dropped about 7kg off my present weight and though there was a slight improvement in my chest appearance it didn't have any great impact. Any tips?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it would be a very good idea to talk to a doctor about this. it could be the sign of a hormonal imbalance, of a variety of other more serious syndromes.

fkl118

Reaction score
Exactly, there are a number of medical conditions that could cause this, especially if you say you're not a generally overweight person. You definitely should see your doctor regarding this, rather than jumping to something like surgery or assuming it's a just a cosmetic problem.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I don't think that's right. Something like 15 or 20 percent of males have it, and it isn't necessarily linked to any other health problems. The problem is (if memory serves me right about a blurb I read about it) there isn't really any amount of exercise or diet that'll fix it. I'd be surprised, though, if there wasn't prescription medication that could help you out a bit. So, I disagree w/the other posters' reasons for going to a doctor, but it might still be your best bet.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ken, the vast majority of people who have rectal bleeding have no serious problem. but you know what - if you do, ou should get to a doctor to get checked out, because there is always a chance that you have something more serious.

gynecomastia, same thing. worth checking out.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Meh. I haven't been to a doctor since my neighbor did my pre-high-school-football physical in his den. It's just a lifestyle choice; I'm not big on advocating doctor visits for something that's most likely nothing. But you can advocate all you want. I was just throwing my ideas out there.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Meh. I haven't been to a doctor since my neighbor did my pre-high-school-football physical in his den. It's just a lifestyle choice; I'm not big on advocating doctor visits for something that's most likely nothing. But you can advocate all you want. I was just throwing my ideas out there.
good luck with that....

fareau

Reaction score
Are you sure that it is gynecomastia? This typically refers to palpable breast tissue in a male and shouldn't be confused with simple fat (breast tissue tends to be firmer). Gynecomastia is extremely common with increasing age (30-70% of males over age 45) because of decreasing production of testosterone and increased conversion of male androgens to estrogens in fat tissue.

When a patient presents with gynecomastia, 50% of the time it is simply "idiopathic" or physiologic. 10-20% of the time it turns out to be due to one or more medications (the list is extensive); 10% of cases are due to primary hypogonadism (severe decrease in testicular tesosterone production); and 10% of time because of a variety of other conditions (liver disease, kidney disease, thyroid disease, etc). There is a final 3% of cases that are due to testicular tumors that produce excess estrogens. Breast cancer in males is rare (less than 0.2%).

The most important presenting features we screen for in clinic are the rate at which the gynecomastia develops, and the presence of breast tenderness. Tenderness or rapid enlargement are both worrisome features and would demand more extensive investigation. Evidence of discharge is also concerning.

If you have gynecomastia, exercise will not diminish the size of the breast tissue, and the tissue does not usually resolve spontaneously. Tamoxifen is probably the best medication for treatment (least side effects and highest response rate); this works best if the gynecomastia has been present for less than 6 months and the tissue is less than 3cm. Surgery is another option and may be preferable if there is a fairly large amount of tissue.

If you are not sure whether you have gynecomastia or not, you should see a physician. As an MD (endocrinolgist no less), I would recommend to any male family member that they be evaluated. Call it a professional bias, but it's better to play it safe.

ct2272

Reaction score
A BMI of 23 is considered obese for a sedentary male. However if you exercise a lot the BMI scale goes way out of whack and not relevant anymore.

Fareau is absolutely correct in his post as to what to do. I would guess if it is not a diagnosed problem, continuous cardio along with muscular exercises (bench presses and flyes) will improve the area.

Regards,
CT

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ken, let me tell you a little story:

I was 248 lbs. 2 years ago, slightly normal-high BP, 130/90, but not out of control...anyway, I went on a diet, extremely well watched I might add, loosing on average about 2 lbs. a week, and slowed that to a lb. a week after 3 months...anyway, my cholesterol went down from 219 to 179, my bp went to 124/83, in that range and you would have thought that I was the perfect specimen of health having gotten down to 184...well then we had a little move in our company, we lost our lease and had 60 days to get out, well we moved to this big beautiful store I have here now, and guess what, biz sucks, I had only one thing supporting us for a couple of months...you guessed it, Grenson....as the pressure and the tension mounted, I began to feel like crap...more and more everyday...and I like you, hate going to the doc, lifestyle thing...well my wife convinced me she would like me around for a while, so I went .
Now, I am on Blood Pressure medicine, my BP was 140/112...the tension and pressures of making a biz make it had stressed me out, and now I am happy I went. Now, it is 124/75, heart is working good, and I have less tension it seems.

Moral of the story, you are probably young and healthy, but god man, go to the doctor once in a while, it won't hurt, and it could save you life when you are an old f*ck like me. And some of us cherish the friends from the SF family.

Listen to globe, he is a pretty intelligent man.

Kind of odd for a first post IMO.

No ****.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Ken, let me tell you a little story:

I was 248 lbs. 2 years ago, slightly normal-high BP, 130/90, but not out of control...anyway, I went on a diet, extremely well watched I might add, loosing on average about 2 lbs. a week, and slowed that to a lb. a week after 3 months...anyway, my cholesterol went down from 219 to 179, my bp went to 124/83, in that range and you would have thought that I was the perfect specimen of health having gotten down to 184...well then we had a little move in our company, we lost our lease and had 60 days to get out, well we moved to this big beautiful store I have here now, and guess what, biz sucks, I had only one thing supporting us for a couple of months...you guessed it, Grenson....as the pressure and the tension mounted, I began to feel like crap...more and more everyday...and I like you, hate going to the doc, lifestyle thing...well my wife convinced me she would like me around for a while, so I went .
Now, I am on Blood Pressure medicine, my BP was 140/112...the tension and pressures of making a biz make it had stressed me out, and now I am happy I went. Now, it is 124/75, heart is working good, and I have less tension it seems.

Moral of the story, you are probably young and healthy, but god man, go to the doctor once in a while, it won't hurt, and it could save you life when you are an old f*ck like me. And some of us cherish the friends from the SF family.
Doctors, schmoctors.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Gyno can only be surgically removed - Nolvadex can help only if you've had gyno for no more than 4-6 months and it is not herediatry but derived from anabolic usage.

You may want to check out Bruce Nadler in NYC - he's the world authority on gyno removal and all the pro bodybuilders (i.e. big-time juicers) go straight to him.

Panzer

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Though I should point out that at 20% bodyfat you are overweight and the 'fat' on your chest may just be excessive adipose tissue and not gyno.

Panzer

wja

Reaction score
Two points:  First, it was mentioned that a BMI of 23 is obese for a sedentary male.  The CDC says that obesity begins at 30 and sedentary or active ain't in it...it's just height and weight.

Second, I believe I recall that one of the leading causes of unilateral gynecomastia is smoking dope.  Use that knowledge as you will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads