1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gym wear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StyleFan, Aug 14, 2007.

1. katon

katon Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with cotton drawstring shorts and an A-shirt. Works fine, look good. If you want to mix it up, just play with the colors.

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Besides, women generally freak out (internally, sometimes externally) when men approach them at the gym, so it's not a pickup spot anyway.
    My Chicago gym is a meet-market with some pretty aggressive females. While my NYC gym only recently allowed women to use the facilities, requiring swim trunks to be worn in the pool.[​IMG]

3. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

My Chicago gym is a meet-market with some pretty aggressive females.

Thank goodness, it isn't a meat market.

4. Pariolino

Pariolino Senior member

I think it naive to believe that people, especially women, don't notice the sartorial choices made while at the gym, on the slopes, track, bike path, tennis courts, etc....... I put as much thought into choosing my athletic wear as I do any other area of my wardrobe. Why give short shrift to athletic wear?

Are you a homosexual?

Don't get excited.

My Chicago gym is a meet-market with some pretty aggressive females. While my NYC gym only recently allowed women to use the facilities, requiring swim trunks to be worn in the pool.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. boo

boo Senior member

I don't know if it's still common, but I recall always seeing guys with a flannel long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up, sweats, and timberland boots. WTF is that supposed to be about?

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm suprised he didn't say it was David Barton in Chelsea, which often has the steam room and saunas closed for "inappropriate behaviour on account of other guests."

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

[​IMG]
    Well, it was a century old tradition which was common to all the great athletic clubs. BTW, if you've a problem viewing naked men it's best not to get involved in sports.

8. Pariolino

Pariolino Senior member

Well, it was a century old tradition which was common to all the great athletic clubs. BTW, if you've a problem viewing naked men it's best not to get involved in sports.
    Whatever you say Tommy Trombone [​IMG].

9. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior member

I have a good relationship with Nike and receive certain items for free. Why I do not try to be overly matchy-matchy, I like the new technology of athletic clothing. I am not a fan of having my t shirt stick to me like I just jumped in a pool with it on.

To each his own.

I like looking appropriate. Cut off t shirts and old nasty sweatpants do not cut it for me.

And no, I am not gay either. [​IMG]

10. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Well, it was a century old tradition which was common to all the great athletic clubs.

At said Bath Houses men also enjoyed the sexual company of other men (or young boys).

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Thank goodness, it isn't a meat market.

No, it's nowhere near as obvious.

12. atroopan

atroopan Senior member

I'm also a bit of a gym rat, and I usually can be found wearing one of my six underarmour loose fit heat gear t-shirts and one of three lululemon kung fu pants.

I also have a pair of lululemon shorts that I use for spinning and yoga when I feel like checking out the gurls [​IMG]

One girl actually told me that she didn't realize lululemon made clothing for guys. I don't think it was a compliment. But she was fat so... I'm gonna have to say she was just jealous. [​IMG]

troop

13. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I'm suprised he didn't say it was David Barton in Chelsea, which often has the steam room and saunas closed for "inappropriate behaviour on account of other guests."

David Barton, huh? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a looooong time.

14. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

They're testing the gym's slogan, "Look Better Naked"!

15. cbsteven

cbsteven Well-Known Member

When I can motivate myself to go to the gym, I just wear a simply white adidas wicking shirt, and some black running shorts. White socks, and some ratty running shoes I've had for years. Simple, but looks fine.

16. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I do not like the new kind of athletic clothing. It just looks too much SF to me. Not Style Forum, but SF like Star Trek, etc. Too plastic, too "modern".
    I like cotton. Nothing wrong with trying to look good at the gym, but I think you can do it also with nice cotton clothes. I know that they will not bring the sweat away from your body, but sweat does not disturb me as long as it does not smell, and my cotton t-shorts do not start smelling after only one or two hours of exercise.
    Of course, I know that am just old fashioned, but I am perfectly happy with that.

FYI, most of the people with B.O. can't smell their own B.O. so while you work out drenched in sweat, it is quite possible that you do in fact smell. Maybe you don't have BO, I wouldn't know since I haven't worked out next to you. But the real test... Get on a treadmill or elliptical and see if someone uses the machine next to you for 5 minutes or less and goes to a different machine, far from you. I've had to do that countless of times. So has my girlfriend. It's hilarious when the gym is crowded and there are no other machines to go to and she recounts the story of how she wanted to throw up in the middle of her work out.

The main culprits? Hairy white guys drenched in their all cotton work out gear. Sure cotton is "breathable," but it's also one of the most absorbent fabrics. Dry fit goes a long way. Might not work if one suffers from BO though.

17. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Speaking of David Barton Gyms, here's a shot of my t-shirt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. xkmasada

xkmasada Active Member

If it's the days when I'm on the eliptical, I put on an Under Armour form-fitting top, and a headband. I don't care how dorky it looks - I can't stand getting sweat in my eyes.

If it's the days when I'm lifting weights, any cotton t-shirt will do, preferably sleeveless ones. Lately, I've been getting pleasant conversation wearing dri-fit t-shirts from Chute Boxe, my favorite Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu team. The implication being that I might be able to bench press as much as you, but I know enough martial arts to kick your ass. [​IMG] Some of the latinos at my gym wear soccer t-shirts from their favorite Brazillian/Argentine/etc. teams, and that looks really cool.

For bottoms, I use mid-length poly shorts, half way between soccer shorts and basketball shorts. Overly short shorts leave disgusting sweat marks on the workout equipment, while overly long shorts make you look like a midget.

Basic black Reeboks do the job for me, although I've been eyeing the Brooks Beast gate-control running shoe. Slim Pumas look nice, but I don't think they're very good for running.

19. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

I'm going to 2nd Dry-Fit

I tend to wear dry-fit T-shirts or dry-fit sleeveless by nike or adidas. The nike ones tend to be hug the body more and the adidas tend to be looser.

Shorts - almost always - length ranges from knee level to 1.5 inches below the knee, I wouldn't want it any shorter or any longer.

No jewellery or headbands for me.

20. jamiemcp

jamiemcp Senior member

I tend to wear a merino wool tshirt, a pair of above the knee running shorts over a pair of skins compresion shorts, my worn out running shoes (i run a lot and replace my shoes at least every 6 months) and what ever socks are handy. I have been known to wear old race t-shirts but I dont realy like synthetic fabrics.