• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gym shoe recommendations

maacone

Reaction score
My Dad's been feeling some pain in his feet during his gym workouts. He doesn't use the treadmill after concerns about it possibly affecting his knee joints. His cardio workout consists of the elliptical, cycling and rowing machines.

He's been blaming his shoes since he's been using some cheap, no-brand ones for about a year now. My brother recommended he get the Asics Gel 3000 for added comfort and support.

I'd also be interested in knowing what forum members wear to the gym. I've been using the same pair of New Balance trainers for years now. I'm looking to change since they're starting to smell bad, even after putting Odor Eaters in them.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Nike Free 7.0's.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm doing work other than running I'll be in a pair of NB cross trainers or Nike Free's. But I would recommend he go to a running store and having a trained associate help out with fitting... They can help fit you to a running shoe or a cross training shoe... I recommend this especially if he has pain just from walking and less-stress cardio.

Reaction score
Does he do any lifting?

I have ultra-cheap Sugi Court Plus XL... They are very sticky and stiff... so verry good for bracing yourself on the bench or doing deadlifts....

It could be the pain comes from crappy unsupportive shoes, and him trying very hard to stay stable...

Rubber

Reaction score
For lifting absolutely a low bottomed wrestling shoe, for cardio regular running shoes will do as long as they fit your feet properly.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get running shoes fitted for yourself. Many running stores perform the service for free.

Suits You Sir!

Reaction score
I use Mizuno Wave Inspire 3's. The most comfortable shoes I've had. I highly recommend them but everyone's different.

Drop into a branch of The Athlete's Foot if you have one. You'll pay more but they work out how you are on your feet by using a pressure pad. Once they've determined which parts of your soles are taking the most amount of support and impact, they can easily recommend the most suitable pair for you.

adversity04

Reaction score
I use Free's 3.0

If he's having pain while running or walking you should see if he's landing hard on his heel......causes all kinds of pain.

BYucko

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Nike Shox 2:45 just for the gym (the 2:40's just felt too tight).

Shox help running surprisingly well (not all just a marketing gimmick). Plus, they look super rad.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
I run a moderate amount. Probably average 20-25 miles a week. So shoes are very important to me, and I approach buying running shoes with nearly as much care as dress shoes.

My advice to OP:

Tell your father do research some research. I don't know if this is an issue for non-runners, but observing how and where your shoes wear down is helpful, as is knowing what type of shoes accomodate your foot type. There is a right shoe for everyone at a decent price point -- especially considering what most of us here spend on other shoes.

My $.02.

jay0407

Reaction score
I would suggest going to a good running store and have your dad get fitted. I have a TERRIBLE instep and felt pain all the time until I did just that.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maacone
My Dad's been feeling some pain in his feet during his gym workouts. He doesn't use the treadmill after concerns about it possibly affecting his knee joints. His cardio workout consists of the elliptical, cycling and rowing machines.

He's been blaming his shoes since he's been using some cheap, no-brand ones for about a year now. My brother recommended he get the Asics Gel 3000 for added comfort and support.

I'd also be interested in knowing what forum members wear to the gym. I've been using the same pair of New Balance trainers for years now. I'm looking to change since they're starting to smell bad, even after putting Odor Eaters in them.

He should go to a podiatrist to get a diagnosis. The Pod can recommend him an exact model of shoe (i.e. Brooks Addiction, high arch support for over-pronators), and make him orthodic inserts if he needs them. Your feet are important, they're your connection to the ground, so don't take them lightly.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Get running shoes fitted for yourself. Many running stores perform the service for free.

Originally Posted by jay0407
I would suggest going to a good running store and have your dad get fitted. I have a TERRIBLE instep and felt pain all the time until I did just that.

+3 Made a world of difference for me. Whenever I ran more than 2 miles before doing this I would get terrible pains shooting up my leg, no matter how good shape I was in. This was the case even back in highschool and college when I was rowing twice a day and had a sixpack and all that. I still couldn't run very far. I went in a few months ago to a running store to get fitted, which was free, and the shoes that I picked out have made running much more pleasurable. Even if you don't buy the shoes at the store (which you should, to support the guys who helped you out), get fitted and then buy them online or something if the price is too painful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads