• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gym sandals / gym bag strategy

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So for the first time, I'm at a gym where I'm showering after a workout. Previously I worked out very close to home so I'd just walk home and shower there after exercise.

What do you do with your sandals after showering? Right now I'm putting them in a plastic grocery bag after drying them off and putting them back in my gym bag, but this is starting to get a little gross and smelly. Is there something that I can put them in that will allow for some ventilation?

I want to turn this into the ultimate gym bag strategy thread.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clip them to the outside of your bag, making sure that they are a good flip flop that wont absorb water.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Clip them to the outside of your bag, making sure that they are a good flip flop that wont absorb water.

Use a carabiner. $3.00 flops from Old Navy are what I use at the gym. Two for $5.00.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
What do you do with your sandals after showering? Right now I'm putting them in a plastic grocery bag after drying them off and putting them back in my gym bag, but this is starting to get a little gross and smelly.
Regularly replace the plastic bag and wash the sandals with bleach.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
Use a carabiner. $3.00 flops from Old Navy are what I use at the gym. Two for $5.00.

I should have clarified -

Good = not absorbing water, costing less then like $3. Those ^^ are great, can be $1 if you can grab them on sale, if you care that much.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a bag, I think it was a speedo bag designed for swimmers that had all these vented pockets. it also had a rubber sealed pocket (like vinyl on the inside) that must have been for a towel or your wet suit. Keep looking, you will find one. Your not the first person to have wet/sweaty gym clothes.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Why wear sandals in the shower? Just bring an extra hand towel to the gym and dry your junk and your feet completely before you get dressed (don't use the same towel you took into the shower).

Fungus loves moisture and you're just creating a moist environment in your gym bag for fungus to grow (and taking it home with you).

ma1

Reaction score
+1. There's no need to wear sandals in the shower unless you are a germaphobe.

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Nylon mesh bag.

yeah this

i found a nylon mesh bag at target for like $7 or something. big enough to hold all my shower stuff and the entire bag is mesh.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
if you dont mind walking on **** and piss, go ahead and go barefoot in the gym lockers!

why dont u just wear the sandals on the way out of the gym too?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have cheap plastic sandals and wipe them with my towel. Then I throw them in with my dirty gym clothes for the ride home. My shoes are in a separate pocket, so everything in the one pocket is dirty or plastic.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCreekHitter
if you dont mind walking on **** and piss

Urine is sterile, can't do any harm. As for the other stuff, just turn on the shower before you get in and make sure everything rinses away (and don't use the last stall, that's where the shower sluts hang out).

derpenstein

Reaction score
+1. There's no need to wear sandals in the shower unless you are a germaphobe.

Um, yeah, unless you listen to podiatrists or anyone else who knows anything about foot/nail fungus. Yeah, even if you don't wear sandals in the gym shower, if you dry yourself well, you *probably* won't get anything. But if you have a little cut under your toenail, or any of a number of other issues that you may or may not be able to see, drying off afterward won't matter at all. And even if you don't have any issues and you do dry yourself thoroughly, it's still possible to wind up with a fungus.

It's such an easy thing to do, and it drastically reduces your chances of picking up something really unpleasant. I don't see how that rises to the level of "germaphobia".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads