• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GVH: Shoe auction ended abruptly!!!

foto010101

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was bidding on a shoe on GVH and to my astonishment the auction has suddenly been ended. There were still 3 days left!

Is this normal? How often do these kind of things happen on GVH? I think it's very rude of the seller to end it before the official ending without giving any reasons! I am quite upset
boxing[1].gif

Mike

foto010101

Reaction score
I guess the latter one is then an ebay fraud, isn't it? I mean, an auction should be treated as such. External sources should join the auction if they really want the item! I can't see any reason why there would be a violation though. Anyway, it sucks...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I dont think a seller does anything wrong by removing an auction early...it's not the best practice if done too often, but there's no crime in it. I'd say a bidder retracting a bid is a greater offense

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is quite surprising. I asked them to change a pair of EG - size-wise. I purchased a pair from their internal site, later I asked if they would exchange for a pair (same style, half size larger) they had up for auction. They would not.

Later I sent them an a separate email about shoe trees, inquiring about a size they did not currently have listed. I received this response, with the 'ending auction caveat' thrown in (no idea why).

Thank you for your email.

100% of our inventory is either listed on eBay or is available in our online store at: www.grapevinehill.com

Please use our eBay searching tool by following this link:

http://stores.ebay.com/grapevinehill

It allows you to search our entire available inventory by gender and size. We get new inventory almost everyday and it gets listed immediately upon processing. We do not know in advance what styles or sizes are going to be listed. We do not close auctions early so if the item is no longer available with a "Buy It Now," you will need to win the auction.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of the RL shoes currently listed for auction are also available in their fixed-price store. Perhaps someone decided to pay GVH's list price for the last available shoe in that size?

BigHandMan

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me today. I was the high bidder on a pair of RLPLs and the auction was scheduled to end in 2-3 days. (Earlier, I submitted a similar post in the pinned "eBay experiences" thread.)

Very frustrating and annoying. Given their reputation, I thought GVH would be above this. But, I guess nothing stops a seller from seeking an extra buck or two.

And I'm already missing what would have been "my" new black Piersons.
frown.gif

GR13

Reaction score
A GVH auction for a pair of RLPL shoes I was bidding on was cancelled on Friday. I've bid on a number of GVH auctions and have never had this happen before.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
This is quite surprising. I asked them to change a pair of EG - size-wise. I purchased a pair from their internal site, later I asked if they would exchange for a pair (same style, half size larger) they had up for auction. They would not.

Later I sent them an a separate email about shoe trees, inquiring about a size they did not currently have listed. I received this response, with the 'ending auction caveat' thrown in (no idea why).

I made an exchange and was worried they would run out of the shoe. They did make the exchange for a half-size up, but it wouldn't surprise me if they simply ran out of purple label shoes. the deals were ridiculous.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is really, really surprising as giving GVH's volume of business and given the prices that they have been garnering on auctions versus the earlier fixed price stuff, it makes absolutely no sense. I can almost guarantee you that they are not doing this for an extar couple of dollars. Something must have gone wrong inventory wise. Miscount, wrong sizes posted etc. Making an extra $50-75 on a pair of shoes is meaningless when they sell thousands of dollars of shoes at any given time and the auctions for these shoes has been garnering ridiculous prices (see the $600 C&J saddle shoe). They wouldn't tarnish their rep for this.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed is correct. They don't end auctions early to sell the shoes. With so many auctions going on there are bound to be some errors in listings so they simply end the auctions when they realize it. Don't you think it's better than finding out after you've paid for an item that it's no longer available (as a seller did to me a few days ago after I'd paid for a nice Zegna tie I won for $4 claiming he'd misplaced it
plain.gif
)

foto010101

Reaction score
I agree with the last statements made above. I do want to say though that I think it's appropriate to send all bidders the reason for ending the auction abruptly. That would be the best way of solving the issue. The highest bidder at some point in time before the end of auction is not necessarily the person who is going to win the shoes...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foto010101
I agree with the last statements made above. I do want to say though that I think it's appropriate to send all bidders the reason for ending the auction abruptly. That would be the best way of solving the issue.

Perhaps but when you're dealing with as many auctions and bidders as GVH, it doesn't make sense. This is eBay not NM.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree that it was almost certainly an error in the listing. If they do not have the shoes listed then they did you a favor by canceling the auction!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads