1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

GVH purchase: not as pictured?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MysticAura, Jul 14, 2006.

1. MysticAura

MysticAura Senior Member

Hey guys,

I just bought a pair of RLPL sandals and they are not pictured on the website. I believe GVH used some type of polish to get them to look like they do in this picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RALPH-LAUREN-Tan...QQcmdZViewItem

However, the ones I received are pretty much a plain dull brown. Any suggestions on how I can polish them up to make them look like how GVH makes them look? If so, what type of polish, what polishes to mix, and where to buy? I live in NYC and am brand new to styleforum altho I love it =)

Thanks a ton guys!

2. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

Could be polish, a tweaked photo, or perhaps just the lighting.

Have you tried a basic shoe polish on them yet?

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Is it the general lustre you'd like to recreate or the apparent streakiness of the big strap? If the former, I'd try a brown or possibly dark brown cream polish and buff well with a rag. If the latter, some of the home-antiquers here could probably give you better advice, but I think the basic idea would be to thin the polish (I think people use rubbing alcohol for this?) to make it a bit more liquid and then brush it on unevenly to create the "streak" effect. The good news is you can always strip it off and try again if you don't like how it looks.

4. MysticAura

MysticAura Senior Member

I am trying to get the streaking down-but it is not working very well or at least what it looks like in the pictures. I polished it up with brown and now it looks shiny but not streaky as pictured. Moreover, this is my first purchase from GVH and I almost feel somewhat deceived, thinking I was going to receive exactly what was in the picture. Also, there are some small scratches on the leather of the sandal. Am I being paranoid??

Any home-antiquers have any tips / polish recipes? Thanks!

5. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I am trying to get the streaking down-but it is not working very well or at least what it looks like in the pictures. I polished it up with brown and now it looks shiny but not streaky as pictured. Moreover, this is my first purchase from GVH and I almost feel somewhat deceived, thinking I was going to receive exactly what was in the picture. Also, there are some small scratches on the leather of the sandal. Am I being paranoid??

Any home-antiquers have any tips / polish recipes? Thanks!

I think the ones in the photo were creased and then polished (or maybe just creased). Wear them and try a darker brown over them. If you wanted to strip them first with acetone, the polish might color them more.