• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gvh Psa

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
8,106
Reaction score
85
Before you go ape-shit over the "it's RL Purple label!" and buy, think about this:

-the bow is plaid, so not the traditional formal footwear for tuxedos. If wearing a traditional opera pump takes guts, wearing a pump with plaid bowties takes more guts

-ARE you seriously going to wear this? Let be honest.


Disclaimer: I ask this because I have a pair of RL Purple Label (EG made) black opera pump with black satin bowtie, sitting brand spankin' new in my closet. I've had it for 2 years and have never muster up the courage to wear them with blacktie. In fact, I purchased a pair of black patent oxford to wear with blacktie.
 

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
15,095
Reaction score
2,373
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Before you go ape-shit over the "it's RL Purple label!" and buy, think about this:

-the bow is plaid, so not the traditional formal footwear for tuxedos. If wearing a traditional opera pump takes guts, wearing a pump with plaid bowties takes more guts

-ARE you seriously going to wear this? Let be honest.


Disclaimer: I ask this because I have a pair of RL Purple Label (EG made) black opera pump with black satin bowtie, sitting brand spankin' new in my closet. I've had it for 2 years and have never muster up the courage to wear them with blacktie. In fact, I purchased a pair of black patent oxford to wear with blacktie.


Someone on SF bought these and dyed the bow black. Looked fine.
If I could get a pair of pumps that fit, I would wear them with black tie.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
155
Originally Posted by dopey
If I could get a pair of pumps that fit, I would wear them with black tie.

Poor fit is poor excuse for stylistic compromise.

You must suffer for your art.


- B
 

goodlife

Senior Member
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
205
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Before you go ape-shit over the "it's RL Purple label!"
Don't shoot the messenger. Everyone seems to love sub $400 EGs, and these are actually fairly common sizes too. As for pumps vs. patent (plaid bows aside), I think calf pumps are just as wearable as patent oxfords. A patent pump with a more noticeable heel is another story though. On a totally separate note GVH has the RL Polo Morrell boot in size 10 as well. It says it is made in England. Does anyone know who makes it, and how the sizing runs. If it is any wider than the C&J 337, I would consider these for the winter. http://stores.channeladvisor.com/grapevinehill/Items/1002960-p?&caSKU=1002960-p&caTitle=Polo Ralph Lauren 'Morrell' Casual Boots Mens - Brown
 

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,416
Reaction score
155
Originally Posted by goodlife
On a totally separate note GVH has the RL Polo Morrell boot in size 10 as well. It says it is made in England. Does anyone know who makes it, and how the sizing runs. If it is any wider than the C&J 337, I would consider these for the winter.
I believe they're made by EG.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 25 14.9%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 48 28.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 36 21.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 6 3.6%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 10 6.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 100+

    Votes: 9 5.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,310
Messages
9,196,771
Members
193,148
Latest member
new_one

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top