1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Guys wear women's jeans, WTH?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Perdogg, Feb 27, 2011.

1. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

what do you mean? you predate that? how old are you? in your eyes do hardcore music fans wear sweatshirts and go to concerts at rec centers?

No, I think I'm not expressing myself clearly. I'm just saying that musically I wasn't too into most of the recent stuff called hardcore. Stylistically, I was always more interested in stuff that took its musical cues from early 80's stuff, I guess. Most of the people I knew wore leather jackets with tons of studs and black jeans and stuff, I dunno. Sweatpants?

2. tehbry

tehbry Senior member

5 years ago? Try 8 years ago. I remember when I was still in High School and this phenomenon of men in girls jeans came in. I was hoping it had passed by now....

3. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

still better than baggy stone-washed levis

4. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

nothing is better than baggy stone-washed levis

Now we're speakin' the same language! [​IMG]

Re: unisex cuts, it seems like it usually tends too far on one side of the fence or the other. KMW Rockers are supposed to be unisex, but I feel like they'd be a little too high in the rise for most girls (> 9"), even in smaller sizes. Kill City, I think, does a unisex cut, but they're all spandex-y and super-low-rise (< 8"). Not sure I've heard of anything that's a happy medium.

5. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

how about the 2 i mentioned ... apc ns and ps and rrl slim fit

i know girls that rock them and i rock them. both are unisex

6. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I gotta admit, I've never actually handled a pair of APCs. For shame, right?

I think I still have a pair of RRL Slims kicking around at home that I didn't like but never got around to selling. If I recall correctly, the rise might have been a deal-breaker for me. Maybe I'll try to dig them up and/or find a picture (I think I took a picture or two in a half-assed attempt to unload them at one point).

Also, do the Slims have full front pockets or just those half-pockets like on &quot;girl&quot; jeans? I bought a pair of RRL Slim Boots off B&amp;S, but I never wore them because they had those weird half-pockets.

7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Also, do the Slims have full front pockets or just those half-pockets like on "girl" jeans? I bought a pair of RRL Slim Boots off B&S, but I never wore them because they had those weird half-pockets.
    gendered pockets? are you kidding me? slim jeans have those "weird half-pockets" because if they actually fit slim you probably shouldn't be putting stuff in the pockets anyway

8. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

gendered pockets? are you kidding me?

slim jeans have those "weird half-pockets" because if they actually fit slim you probably shouldn't be putting stuff in the pockets anyway

I think I'd argue that that's the point at which jeans become gendered. So yeah, pretty much.

Not saying that they cease to be men's jeans or that they aren't wearable by men. I still have some fairly slim jeans with "normal" front pockets, though, and I don't think a little cell phone bulge always looks out of place. [​IMG]

9. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

how about the 2 i mentioned ... apc ns and ps and rrl slim fit

i know girls that rock them and i rock them. both are unisex

Whether or not girls rock the APC's does not change the fact that both of them are decidedly men's jeans. You would have a better case for new cures or hipsters. RRLs, I have no comment on.

10. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

i bought my apc ps from the womens section of barneys. [​IMG]

11. robbie

robbie Senior member

Welcome to at the very least 8 or 9 years ago.

Any kids into hardcore I knew wore girls jeans or kids jeans, because at the time no other accessible (mall brands) were making slim jeans.

-rF

12. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

i bought my apc ps from the womens section of barneys. [​IMG]

Out of curiosity, what's the pocket size like on those? I think I've heard that the front pockets are kinda small on APCs.

Also, submitted for your ridicule, I dug up a picture of me wearing RRL Slim Boots. I'd say these fall on the wrong side of the fence in terms of gendered denim. (FWIW, I was trying to decide whether or not to wear them; I opted against.)

Spoiler-ed for your protection:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Like I said, these have half-pockets on them, which I don't like. The legs were pretty snug (which is readily apparent in these photos), but this is the first size (26) that wasn't a little loose in the waist when I buttoned them up.

13. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

you could have sized up one to avoid that arse-sagging effect. and if it made the waist a lil loose, rock a belt

edit: maybe it was the style? never tried RRL slim boot

14. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

apc pockets are always small. with how slim my jeans generally are, i dont put things in the front pocket anyway.

you look like you're wearing your girlfriends jeans, sorry bro :/

15. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

OK, wow, those are very effeminate looking.

16. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I totally agree. Ergo I never wore them outside of the couple of minutes it took me to take those photos.

My point here - and I sort of almost have one - is that even if it's a unisex cut, it can end up looking pretty damn girly and not at all ok for a guy to wear.

It would look less bad if I sized up, but then I'd have to deal with either having the waist fold over when I belted them or having them sit inappropriately low, neither of which would've been ok with me.

(I don't think they would've worked well over cowboy boots - which was why I got them - regardless of what size I went with, so I just got some Nudie RRDS instead.)

17. bony boy

bony boy Well-Known Member

where have you been guys this trend is at LEAST 10 years old, from back when slim fit jeans weren't around

18. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

where have you been guys this trend is at LEAST 10 years old, from back when slim fit jeans weren't around

[​IMG]

19. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

^ Is that a Pokemon?

you look like you're wearing your girlfriends jeans, sorry bro :/

Wait, I thought that was the point...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. entrero

entrero Senior member

I wonder what the &quot;ex-wife&quot; would look like