• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guys, some advice please!

cmrocks

Reaction score
I recently bought a black cashmere cardigan sweater. I'm looking for suggestions on what color shirt I should wear with it. I'm younger, still in college so I plan on wearing the cardigan with a pair of jeans and a well tailored shirt that will be worn untucked. Just to note that I plan on having all my future shirts custom made for me in Vancouver, BC so they will fit very well I'm sure.

I'm unsure of what colors I should wear with a black cardigan. I have fairly dark skin naturally if that helps.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the right thing and tuck your shirt in. Untucking was the thing to do a couple of years ago. Seriously. Tuck the shirt in, college or not.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I really think it's not necessary with jeans...

cmrocks

Reaction score
I would definately tuck the shirt in with any other pants besides jeans. Tucked shirts with jeans just look odd to me especially for someone my age.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I've worn it both buttoned and unbuttoned. It's honestly kind of a hipster look I guess. I have weird looking hair, glasses and gauged ears so I can get away with more. The cardigan is pretty simple as well; just straight black.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
I've worn it both buttoned and unbuttoned. It's honestly kind of a hipster look I guess. I have weird looking hair, glasses and gauged ears so I can get away with more. The cardigan is pretty simple as well; just straight black.

Ahh, now that helps. Context is everything. I'm still having a hard time integrating the black cardigan in my mind -- I think I'd reach for a moth-eaten skinny-fit sweater in brown, green or light blue first -- but I have a better understanding of where you're going with this. What about a well-faded shirt in yellow? That or white would probably be my choice, just because the contrast with black is so stark.

You might get responses more in tune with what you're looking for over in the streetwear forum.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tuck with the cardigan, especially if the shirttails are longer than it.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cardigans are somewhat de rigeur at the moment, I gather. Tuck in that shirt, and definately avoid tshirts if you don't want to look like a poser. Slim grey trousers work well. Prince of Wales Check or stripes, if you're feeling adventurous.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Tuck it man. Untucked under a sweater is a very feminine look.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think that light colors would work best with your complextion. Try white, light blue, lavender, pink. Almost any color will work with black because it is a neutral.
I agree with all, do not wear your shirt tails out, especially with a cardigan on. There are shirts that are made to be worn outside of the trouser which would have finished bottom.

Best Regards,

Gary

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
I think that light colors would work best with your complextion. Try white, light blue, lavender, pink. Almost any color will work with black because it is a neutral.
I agree with all, do not wear your shirt tails out, especially with a cardigan on. There are shirts that are made to be worn outside of the trouser which would have finished bottom.

Best Regards,

Gary

I'll second blue (french), white, lavender. In that order. (IMO)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With regards to the untucking of the shirt, I think you can get away with it if: 1. Your overall looks doesn't appear too contrived, and 2. It's not a dressier type shirt. If you have a button up, say a cowboy style shirt from Diesel, then I say go ahead and leave it untucked. If you're going for hipster, that's cool, but don't be wearing some non-iron shirt from Brooks Brothers or Van Heusen (god forbid) is all i'm saying.

To actually answer your question, I second suggestions of purple/lavender, pink, even something light orange or light green/lime, light blue. Those would work for good contrast. Otherwise, white is a good, classic color. And this can either be solid or patterned (whether it be stripes, checked, etc.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads