• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guys, please help: Hugo Boss suits-are they worth the money?!

Tarleton

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Okay, so I have to ask: is there a general consensus that Hugo Boss suits are overpriced and definitely not worth a serious financial investment (e.g. $800+ for one suit)? I ask because I have been on a few different message boards where a lot of guys seem to think that Hugo Boss doesn't give you much actual "high-end quality" considering what they charge. In other words, I have been told not to buy a new Boss suit, because my $800-$1000.00 can purchase a MUCH better suit than anything Boss offers. Is this true? What is the main criticism of Hugo Boss suits? Are they made with subpar material? Are they not that durable? I am considering purchasing a Hugo Boss suit for an upcoming wedding, but I have been hearing some negative things about them lately. Any advice or personal experience with Boss suits would be appreciated. Thanks!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have had a few. They certainly aren't as awful as they are made out to be, butbthey are still a pretty big rip off. Mediocre construction, fused chest piece.

If you like that slim look, your money is much better spent at Suit Suppy.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, they are not "horrible" and i have seen many.
A mistake people most often make, is getting one straight off the rack. and thinking it's going to look awesome, when in fact they should get it tailored to fit better. this is where you would need to be sure the suit you are looking at is right for you and your body shape.
For example, some Boss suits on me look boxy. but Paul Smith fits like a glove. take your body shape and complexion in to consideration.

if you can get one on ebay for $200-$300??? Sure, do it. - you can get it altered, and look phenomenal. if it were a grey/Navy suit? you could wear it over and over again. for any time you need a suit.

in my opinion, i would not drop the money for one at retail prices. because if you look, you CAN get better at the $800 mark.

Check out some Paul Smith, And for a little more? Perhaps a reduced Canali or Zegna? - which are gorgeous suits. for the cash you are talking,

if going the used, but new condition route, you could get MUCH better, like a Brioni. and in a fitted Brioni? you really will come out looking like a boss.

Browse the 'Bay, and make sure you know your size. good luck!

38R

Edit: some browsing material.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-CANAL...prg=20131017132637&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=151237365964

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNWT-MENS...=UK_Men_s_Suits_Tailoring&hash=item258d99f3eb

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have had a few. They certainly aren't as awful as they are made out to be, butbthey are still a pretty big rip off. Mediocre construction, fused chest piece.

If you like that slim look, your money is much better spent at Suit Suppy.

I too have had a few. Only kept one as I like the colour and fit.

Benefit of hindsight... I wasted a lot of money, and time, on Boss and similar suits.

Given that time again I'd pick out a classic look or two I'd like to emulate then seek out pieces to put it all together. Difference being I'd hold on till I could buy timeless pieces of quality construction.

Plenty of places to look

http://www.styleforum.net/t/381083/waywrn-composite-20-thumb-minimum

I'll wager you won't see a Boss suit there BTW

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You will see a lot of Suit Supply there though. That's very high on the list of brands I want to try. Much cheaper than Boss as well. Half or full canvass. Generally better fabrics.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Expensive label with free suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads