• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guys carrying a tote bag, ok or not?

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
are you like a gay lumberjack or something?

LOL hardly....but that totally made my day.

thizzface

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
when i my wife makes me carry her tote bag when we shop i feel ****... then again those big stores in soho usually have seating in the middle ... what i like to call "boyfriend and husband seating"

thats where the whipped guys sit.

thizzface

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Yes, looks like an expensive gym bag. Looks fine to me.
the link brings you to a holdall first, i assumed by "tote" he meant the tote bag that a coupla pictures down. but even if you thought it was an "expensive gym bag", wouldnt you think its weird or excessive to walk around with, essentially, a piece of designer carry-on luggage with just a blackberry, a wallet, a some contrived junk just to make it seem full and "necessary". the question is not really about whether or not it makes a person look homosexual, but rather the necessity of it for fashion's sake. if its not a brief case, or full of stuff you can't carry in your pockets (ie. laptop, sweater, books, groceries, etc.) then there's no point. if you are carrying an empty bag for fashion then you've fallen for a marketing ploy you ****-asses.

Zintintin

Reaction score
I don't get what people are carrying around EVERY day that they need a man purse... we don't need tampons and makeup so wtf?

thizzface

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
The Asian contingency on the forum (ones from HK/Australia) ALL carry totes. Ask them if they feel gay.
i'm not saying that the asian contingent aren't fashion whores, but... as i understood, those bags that PG, etc carry are for a camera or office stuff. the tote seems like it would be only for fashion's sake. on a side note, the "man-purse" is an evolution of the "man-clutch" for alot of men in asia. many places in asia are a "cash society". in china, credit cards are pretty rare. as such, a big timer would need to carry alot of cash. unfortunately in china the largest bill is 100rmb or about $15. so...a big timer would need to bring out 3-5 stacks of worth 10,000rmb each to adequately cover his entertainment expenses. in this case, the changing from the "man-clutch" to the "man-purse" is a step towards masculinity. plus in many cases, the money in the purse is used to pay for KTV so i suppose thats pretty firm in the non-**** category.

Baby Pink

Reaction score
just ignore those comments. there will also be rednecks lurking in these forums trying to make a statement about how macho they are

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thizzface
the question is not really about whether or not it makes a person look homosexual, but rather the necessity of it for fashion's sake.

U R Totally gay

An open top bag with handles has its uses. Especially for anyone who lives in a city and uses public transportation. On the east coast you will regularly need to carry: laptop, cell phone, keys, wallet, umbrella, sunglasses, etc. It's not practical to carry this stuff in pockets, not in 95% summer humidity.

In fact in terms of practicality, a "tote" is far easier to operate than a briefcase, and about 5 lbs lighter.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baby Pink
just ignore those comments. there will also be rednecks lurking in these forums trying to make a statement about how macho they are

In all honesty its how you carry yourself, the bag wont effect you unless you look self conscious about it.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zintintin
I don't get what people are carrying around EVERY day that they need a man purse... we don't need tampons and makeup so wtf?
+1, but if I had necessity, that is a very nice bag.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
In all honesty its how you carry yourself, the bag wont effect you unless you look self conscious about it.
+1.

Firstladyofsong

Reaction score

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baby Pink
i recently purchased a black leather Dunhill ADV8 tote bag. Does it look gay for a guy to carry this bag?

http://www.dunhill.com/en-es/catalog...s/adv8/l3g260a

I am 6ft tall, 200 pounds rugby guy. I am not gay. I am married with a baby. I always wanted to buy a tote as i really like the design. I carry the bag on the weekends with the strap thrown over my shoulders. I am afraid to just carry the bag in my hands as i am worried it would look like a handbag. I am afraid to carry the bag to the office as i am worried how my colleagues will take to it. What do you guys think?

I prefer duffel, weekender, or weekend bag. Tote sounds like a girls bag to me. I use one. Just be sure to carry it like you are ready to roundhouse someone, not like you are on your way to the salon for a manicure.
smile.gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads