• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Guys carrying a tote bag, ok or not?

Baby Pink

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
i recently purchased a black leather Dunhill ADV8 tote bag. Does it look gay for a guy to carry this bag?

http://www.dunhill.com/en-es/catalog...s/adv8/l3g260a

I am 6ft tall, 200 pounds rugby guy. I am not gay. I am married with a baby. I always wanted to buy a tote as i really like the design. I carry the bag on the weekends with the strap thrown over my shoulders. I am afraid to just carry the bag in my hands as i am worried it would look like a handbag. I am afraid to carry the bag to the office as i am worried how my colleagues will take to it. What do you guys think?
 

Hobbs

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2008
Messages
444
Reaction score
35
Who cares?

As long as your boyfriend likes it, go for it girlfriend!
 

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2007
Messages
1,317
Reaction score
49
If you wear or carry anything with the fear that you'll be perceived as gay in your head, you won't necessarily look gay, but I think you'll look uncomfortable and insecure.
 

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
7,219
Reaction score
31
you will definitely look gay. you should probably find some real gheys on the way home and bash their heads in to make yourself feel less ghey
 

JelloLover

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
160
Reaction score
15
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
If you wear or carry anything with the fear that you'll be perceived as gay in your head, you won't necessarily look gay, but I think you'll look uncomfortable and insecure.

Agreed....but who really cares in the end....if you like it and are comfortable in it then go for it
 

thizzface

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2009
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Baby Pink
Does it look gay for a guy to carry this bag?
I am not gay.
I am afraid to just carry the bag in my hands as i am worried it would look like a handbag.
I am afraid to carry the bag to the office as i am worried how my colleagues will take to it.


seems like you're bit on edge, huh? i would say that carrying a designer tote bag just for looks is a bit "ghey" (as is using "ghey" instead of gay). i also think carrying a bag without context for why you would carry it is a bit "ghey".

maybe you should either get a nice bag for your your office stuff or a nice a bag for your baby stuff for the weekends. that way if someone gives you a bit of stick you can say, "fuck off i need it to carry my shit!"
 

Baby Pink

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
i use it to carry my wallet, blackberry, car keys etc. And when i go out, it comes in useful as i can just throw whatever stuff i buy into the tote. Plus, like i said, i just like the design of tote bags.
 

Benzito

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2009
Messages
758
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by Baby Pink
i recently purchased a black leather Dunhill ADV8 tote bag. Does it look gay for a guy to carry this bag?

http://www.dunhill.com/en-es/catalog...s/adv8/l3g260a

I am 6ft tall, 200 pounds rugby guy. I am not gay. I am married with a baby. I always wanted to buy a tote as i really like the design. I carry the bag on the weekends with the strap thrown over my shoulders. I am afraid to just carry the bag in my hands as i am worried it would look like a handbag. I am afraid to carry the bag to the office as i am worried how my colleagues will take to it. What do you guys think?


Seeing how your screen name is "Baby Pink," why are you having insecurity about carrying around a man purse?
 

Baby Pink

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
or is it a cultural thing? because in italy and japan, it's not uncommon for guys to carry totes.
 

Baby Pink

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
the baby pink is because i like the colour, especially for dress shirts
 

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2007
Messages
1,317
Reaction score
49
Originally Posted by Baby Pink
or is it a cultural thing? because in italy and japan, it's not uncommon for guys to carry totes.

It's not uncommon in NYC, either.
 

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
1,645
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by Baby Pink
i use it to carry my wallet, blackberry, car keys etc. And when i go out, it comes in useful as i can just throw whatever stuff i buy into the tote. Plus, like i said, i just like the design of tote bags.

Your colleagues are probably idiots anyways. But since your screenname is BabyPink, I think you probably look gay with or without the bag. Sorry.

I'm just kidding.
 

thizzface

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2009
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Baby Pink
i use it to carry my wallet, blackberry, car keys etc. And when i go out, it comes in useful as i can just throw whatever stuff i buy into the tote. Plus, like i said, i just like the design of tote bags.

i thought that was what all the pockets were for in a jacket. if you must carry something how about something a little less conspicuous and less branded than a full on designer bag...?
 

Baby Pink

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
i am surprised by the comments on this forum. i would have thought members here would be more open minded and would have evolved with time. i guess it will take more time for it to be widely acceptable for guys to carry totes without attracting attention or comments.
 

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
2,376
Reaction score
5
I would thinks it's ok, it's almost looks like a gym bag just more expensive and sophisticated.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

  • Tassel loafers

  • Penny loafers

  • Horsebit loafers

  • Kiltie loafers

  • I hate loafers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
421,176
Messages
9,055,388
Members
190,616
Latest member
victorykid1412

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top