Guys carrying a tote bag, ok or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Baby Pink, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Baby Pink

Baby Pink Well-Known Member

i recently purchased a black leather Dunhill ADV8 tote bag. Does it look gay for a guy to carry this bag?

http://www.dunhill.com/en-es/catalog...s/adv8/l3g260a

I am 6ft tall, 200 pounds rugby guy. I am not gay. I am married with a baby. I always wanted to buy a tote as i really like the design. I carry the bag on the weekends with the strap thrown over my shoulders. I am afraid to just carry the bag in my hands as i am worried it would look like a handbag. I am afraid to carry the bag to the office as i am worried how my colleagues will take to it. What do you guys think?

2. Hobbs

Hobbs Senior member

Who cares?

As long as your boyfriend likes it, go for it girlfriend!

3. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

If you wear or carry anything with the fear that you'll be perceived as gay in your head, you won't necessarily look gay, but I think you'll look uncomfortable and insecure.

4. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

you will definitely look gay. you should probably find some real gheys on the way home and bash their heads in to make yourself feel less ghey

5. JelloLover

JelloLover Senior member

If you wear or carry anything with the fear that you'll be perceived as gay in your head, you won't necessarily look gay, but I think you'll look uncomfortable and insecure.

Agreed....but who really cares in the end....if you like it and are comfortable in it then go for it

6. thizzface

thizzface Senior member

Does it look gay for a guy to carry this bag?
    I am not gay.
    I am afraid to just carry the bag in my hands as i am worried it would look like a handbag.
    I am afraid to carry the bag to the office as i am worried how my colleagues will take to it.

seems like you're bit on edge, huh? i would say that carrying a designer tote bag just for looks is a bit "ghey" (as is using "ghey" instead of gay). i also think carrying a bag without context for why you would carry it is a bit "ghey".

maybe you should either get a nice bag for your your office stuff or a nice a bag for your baby stuff for the weekends. that way if someone gives you a bit of stick you can say, "fuck off i need it to carry my shit!"

7. Baby Pink

i use it to carry my wallet, blackberry, car keys etc. And when i go out, it comes in useful as i can just throw whatever stuff i buy into the tote. Plus, like i said, i just like the design of tote bags.

8. Benzito

Benzito Senior member

i recently purchased a black leather Dunhill ADV8 tote bag. Does it look gay for a guy to carry this bag?

http://www.dunhill.com/en-es/catalog...s/adv8/l3g260a

I am 6ft tall, 200 pounds rugby guy. I am not gay. I am married with a baby. I always wanted to buy a tote as i really like the design. I carry the bag on the weekends with the strap thrown over my shoulders. I am afraid to just carry the bag in my hands as i am worried it would look like a handbag. I am afraid to carry the bag to the office as i am worried how my colleagues will take to it. What do you guys think?

Seeing how your screen name is "Baby Pink," why are you having insecurity about carrying around a man purse?

9. Baby Pink

or is it a cultural thing? because in italy and japan, it's not uncommon for guys to carry totes.

10. Baby Pink

the baby pink is because i like the colour, especially for dress shirts

11. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

or is it a cultural thing? because in italy and japan, it's not uncommon for guys to carry totes.

It's not uncommon in NYC, either.

12. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

i use it to carry my wallet, blackberry, car keys etc. And when i go out, it comes in useful as i can just throw whatever stuff i buy into the tote. Plus, like i said, i just like the design of tote bags.

Your colleagues are probably idiots anyways. But since your screenname is BabyPink, I think you probably look gay with or without the bag. Sorry.

I'm just kidding.

13. thizzface

thizzface Senior member

i thought that was what all the pockets were for in a jacket. if you must carry something how about something a little less conspicuous and less branded than a full on designer bag...?

14. Baby Pink

i am surprised by the comments on this forum. i would have thought members here would be more open minded and would have evolved with time. i guess it will take more time for it to be widely acceptable for guys to carry totes without attracting attention or comments.

15. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I would thinks it's ok, it's almost looks like a gym bag just more expensive and sophisticated.