• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guy with a pet lion

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do these sorts of people (exotic animal lovers) want to die?
confused.gif
Keeping a freaking lion as a pet is not a great idea. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_431725.html

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's his life. If he's got the land for it and keeps it enclosed, I don't see the problem. Beautiful animal. I don't know if training lion cubs is anything like training puppies, but I hope it's well socialized.
laugh.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
people with "exotic" pets are ******* nut jobs man.

You do not and should not own an alligator, spiders or ******* gorilla. Jesus...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just the other day at the SHOT Show I ran into a business friend, a lovely woman, who owns a white tiger, two leopards and two mountain lions. This is on a rural property in Texas.

It has been estimated that there are far more privately owned tigers in the USA than there are running wild in Asia. A cousin of my wife lives in Washington State. A neighbor of hers keeps two tigers caged on his property. My wife's cousin's husband bought a .375 H&H Magnum rifle (a Winchester Model 70) in case the cats escape.

I don't think keeping big cats as pets is a good idea. There is an excellent choral passage in the Agamemnon of Aeschylus about bad things resulting from keeping a pet lion cub.

However, if people want to this and keep their cats secured, it's their business and risk, I suppose.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Just the other day at the SHOT Show I ran into a business friend, a lovely woman, who owns a white tiger, two leopards and two mountain lions. This is on a rural property in Texas. It has been estimated that there are far more privately owned tigers in the USA than there are running wild in Asia. A cousin of my wife lives in Washington State. A neighbor of hers keeps two tigers caged on his property. My wife's cousin's husband bought a .375 H&H Magnum rifle (a Winchester Model 70) in case the cats escape. I don't think keeping big cats as pets is a good idea. There is an excellent choral passage in the Agamemnon of Aeschylus about bad things resulting from keeping a pet lion cub. However, if people want to this and keep their cats secured, it's their business and risk, I suppose.
Why would you buy an animal that big and then leave it in a cage? What joy can the owner possibly get from that? There is a lion farm in PA that sells their meat but they didn't look very lion-like to me.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I have heard of people eating lions, but I didn't know it was regularly practiced here in the States.

What didn't look "lion-like"--the cuts of meat (not sure how you could tell) or the cats themselves (how could you not recognize?). Were they Ligers or something, perhaps?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Why would you buy an animal that big and then leave it in a cage? What joy can the owner possibly get from that? There is a lion farm in PA that sells their meat but they didn't look very lion-like to me.

uhoh.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of big cat owners may secure the cats in cages but also have paddocks in which they can let the cats out to exercise. It's probably not too much worse than the existence many dogs lead.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree that keeping big cats as pets is not a good idea, but I'll take one of those next door over a full-grown chimp ANY day.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I have heard of people eating lions, but I didn't know it was regularly practiced here in the States.

What didn't look "lion-like"--the cuts of meat (not sure how you could tell) or the cats themselves (how could you not recognize?). Were they Ligers or something, perhaps?

I tried to find the article and all I could come up with was this: http://brentwoodtradinggroup.com/limelire.html but this was not the original one that I saw and I have reason to believe that lion pictured is not the kind you would eat. Evidently these were smaller...they did not have the mass that one imagines when one thinks of a lion.

A lot of big cat owners may secure the cats in cages but also have paddocks in which they can let the cats out to exercise. It's probably not too much worse than the existence many dogs lead.

What joy does someone get from this? If the lion isn't free and roaming around, how different is it from watching Animal Planet or getting a picture to put on your wall?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just the other day at the SHOT Show I ran into a business friend, a lovely woman, who owns a white tiger, two leopards and two mountain lions. This is on a rural property in Texas.

It has been estimated that there are far more privately owned tigers in the USA than there are running wild in Asia. A cousin of my wife lives in Washington State. A neighbor of hers keeps two tigers caged on his property. My wife's cousin's husband bought a .375 H&H Magnum rifle (a Winchester Model 70) in case the cats escape.

I don't think keeping big cats as pets is a good idea. There is an excellent choral passage in the Agamemnon of Aeschylus about bad things resulting from keeping a pet lion cub.

However, if people want to this and keep their cats secured, it's their business and risk, I suppose.

Drawing a blank here... reference?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It bothers me when I see dogs that are kept in small outdoor pens or tied and never are takened on walks or allowed to roam freely in a fenced yard.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
It bothers me when I see dogs that are kept in small outdoor pens or tied and never are takened on walks or allowed to roam freely in a fenced yard.

a fenced yard isn't much better unless you have multiple acres imo. Dogs need to be walked, period.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Drawing a blank here... reference?

Line 717 ff. Fraenkel translates as follows:

So, once was a lion's offspring reared by a man in his house, getting no milk from its mother, still fond of the teat, in the prelude of its life tame, a good friend of the children and a delight to the elders; and may a time it was in their arms like a nursling child, looking bright-eyed to the hand and fawning under the constraint of its belly.

But matured by time it showed the character it had from its parents: for, making a return to those who had reared it, it made ready a feast as an unbidden guest in a horrid slaughter of the flock, and the house was befouled with blood--to the house-folk an agony not to be warded off, a vast havoc wherein many were killed; by the will of the god it had been reared in the house to be a sacrificer in the service of Ate.

On the topic of lion meat, I've heard mixed reports. Mountain lion, on the other hand, was esteemed as absolutely delicious on the American frontier. It's supposed to be much like veal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads