Guy Savoy or Joel Robuchon?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Jan 17, 2012.

1. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I've never been to a Keller restaurant. I tried getting reservations at Per se last summer, but it was a pain in the ass and I stopped trying after two calls. I'm going to be in Cali again this summer, though. How far in advance do you need to book at TFL?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

2. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Except for one dinner at the Vegas Bouchon I've never been anything but thrilled with every meal I've had at a Keller restaurant. +1 fanboy.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

if I'm ever in the mood for a $14 ham sandwich, there's a Bouchon Bakery not too far from my work.

More often than not though, I am in the mood for a $7 sandwich and go to Pret.

4. hopkins_student

When I booked three years ago it was 8 weeks to the day. I'm told by some friends that just made a half-hearted attempt to get reservations that the timing hasn't changed.

And it seems per se is much easier to get into. We were there in October and I think they were either 4 weeks or 30 days to the day and reservations were easily had by phone or Open Table. For the week nights there were even reservations open within one to two weeks prior.

5. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Did you stay over in Yountville? I'm going to be in Santa Barbara, so I imagine the drive up would be pleasant.

I called two times at exactly 10:00am when they start taking reservations. I was on hold for 30 minutes, and all the tables for two had already been reserved. I didn't bother to continue trying. Plenty of other good eats in the city.

6. hopkins_student

We stayed in Napa when we went.

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Thanks again, Matt.
    I'll get to TFL eventually.

The older (more curmudgeonly) I get, a terrific food moment can easily be cracking a wheel of parm and a bottle of Nebbiolo. $500 for disappointment feels better spent on a couple of nice bottles.

8. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Did you find the food at Savoy Vegas better? I've never been to the Vegas one, but I though Rue Troyen would be basically a perfect restaurant if they served better food (other than the dessert and bread trolleys, which kick ass.)

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I've been to the Paris one probably close to a dozen times, though it has been probably seven years since my last visit there. Given that difference in time, my memory could be spotty, but I remember them being very, very close in quality. Savoy's food is very simple, and definitely avoids most of the conceits of modernism, and a good number of the innovations as well. Still, my experience has always been that the food is extremely well prepared, well seasoned, generous, though not beautiful. Taste is personal, though, and if your preferences are for more contemporary food, you are probably not going to be wowed by a great number of his dishes.

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Do you have the recipe for his artichoke soup?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

11. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

No, I theoretically liked everything that I ordered, I just got a past its prime piece of fish and sloppily cooked lamb. I suppose I could have just been unlucky.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

IMO, establishments at this price point and reputation are not allowed to have an off day.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Well, they all do. I am shocked to hear that they served a piece of vintage fish, however.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I think there is risk that it becomes a bit like designer fashion... charge whatever the crowd will pay, quality irrelevant.

OK- overstated, and the costs behind (some) fine foods is probably considerably higher than $1000 denim... but I think it's still true too often.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

That's what I was referring to more than anything, and I know every business has an off day (mine included), but I still more or less stand behind that thought. At the very least the GM or Captain needs to recognize it and take steps to make it good or comp the meal.