• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guy Only Movies/Humour

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I've seen the movie a couple of times, and my wife got me and herself tickets to the recent Broadway rendition. She had a similar reaction. She enjoyed seeing the all-star cast at work, but didn't care much about the story or the themes.

I, on the other hand, loved it. Generally, I think Mamet (at least up until recently - see The Winslow Boy and State and Main ) is a taste that is more often acquired by men than by women.

Unfortuantely, the recent Broadway rendition was quite awful.

koji

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Unfortuantely, the recent Broadway rendition was quite awful.

koji

Huh. I really enjoyed it (though I never saw the original show). Why do you rate it as awful?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Exactly, what is wrong with comedy simply for the sake of comedy?? Not everything has to be highbrow, or subtle or rife with cultural and historical references that only 10% of the audience get. Yes, I like and appreciate Wes Anderson movies, Dennis Miller monologues, early Woody Allen, "Lost in Transalation", but I also laughed my head off at Jim Carrey lighting his fart on fire in Dumb and Dumber and I regularly quote from "Top Secret" and "Austin Powers". I am not fat (I am bald but I shave my head
smile.gif
) nor moronic, but sometimes I feel like I want a beer and sometimes I feel like I want a glass of DRC.

What percentage of the time that you want DRC do you actually have it?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
What percentage of the time that you want DRC do you actually have it?

Believe it or not, everytime. But, I am not a big wine drinker, maybe going through a bottle or two a month and my DRC desires are far less than that. Most of my expensive wine has been gifted and I only feel a need to drink it during special celebrations. Drink some DRC.....smoke an OpusX, if it did it with any frequency I'd be homeless.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anderson's films are more witty than anything else. A sort of cinematic throwback to the original New Yorker short story, none of that pretense that characterizes today's New Yorker stories.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find most modern comedy films to be too vulgar, both in the sense of coarseness but especially in being plebeian. I prefer more subtle humor, in the vein of American Beauty or the films by the Coen brothers.

I'm with you, Kent. Which is why I have a special place in my heart for Christopher Guest.

Not that a movie being vulgar or plebian means I won't like it....after all, Pink Flamingos is probably my favorite movie of all time right now. I just LOVE early John Waters dialogue.

"Baby I love you more than the sound of dogs dying, of babies crying. I love you more than my own filthiness!"

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I'm with you, Kent. Which is why I have a special place in my heart for Christopher Guest.

This Is Spinal Tap.

"We've got, y'know, armadilloes in our trousers; I mean, it's really quite frightening"

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn

Not that a movie being vulgar or plebian means I won't like it....after all, Pink Flamingos is probably my favorite movie of all time right now. I just LOVE early John Waters dialogue.

"Baby I love you more than the sound of dogs dying, of babies crying. I love you more than my own filthiness!"

Bwahaha. John Waters has made some serious gems, my wife had made me watch Pink Flamingos when we first started going out, she is a big John Waters fan. I guess I should add Troma's productions to the list although my wife had seen a number of their films before I met her (her depraved sense of humour is a big reason why we get along so well
biggrin.gif
). "Redneck Zombies" (!), "Cannibal the Musical" and "Orgasmo" come to mind (she has been bugging me to see that one for a while now).

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
This Is Spinal Tap.

"We've got, y'know, armadilloes in our trousers; I mean, it's really quite frightening"

I'll second that one and Best in Show, and Waiting for Guffman, and...

A.

"There is a fine line between clever and stupid."

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I can't believe people actually watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force and find it amusing.
hey, not "people", me. anyway, it's funny, and i'm sticking with that assessment.
tounge.gif
at the end of a day of dealing with work and kids, i usually don't have what it takes to appreciate woody allen or even wes anderson. maybe christopher guest, because i feel that troupe is becoming today's monty python. but my go-to decompression shows are cartoons like ATHF and Ghost in the Shell, sci-fi like BSG and Doctor Who, hockey, and boxing. of those, the only one my wife watches with me is BSG. she, on the other hand, watches Buffy reruns (which i sometimes watch as well), american idol and survivor when they're current, and Big Love (which I started watching but it's growing tedious).

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
For all of John Waters's filthiness, he is actually a very dapper and natty man.

Agree.

P.s. I also find Aqua Teen Hunger Force entertaining.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Striped jacket + solid pants...I thought you weren't supposed to do that
wow.gif
B000929UPA.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
My favorite Guest movie is Waiting For Guffman. Every character is great, but I crack up every time I think about Corky. "Boy I'd love to ride a sperm whale...among other things."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads