1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Guy Only Movies/Humour

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Aaron, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

This Is Spinal Tap.

"We've got, y'know, armadilloes in our trousers; I mean, it's really quite frightening"

I'll second that one and Best in Show, and Waiting for Guffman, and...

A.

"There is a fine line between clever and stupid."

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

I can't believe people actually watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force and find it amusing.
    hey, not "people", me. anyway, it's funny, and i'm sticking with that assessment. [​IMG] at the end of a day of dealing with work and kids, i usually don't have what it takes to appreciate woody allen or even wes anderson. maybe christopher guest, because i feel that troupe is becoming today's monty python. but my go-to decompression shows are cartoons like ATHF and Ghost in the Shell, sci-fi like BSG and Doctor Who, hockey, and boxing. of those, the only one my wife watches with me is BSG. she, on the other hand, watches Buffy reruns (which i sometimes watch as well), american idol and survivor when they're current, and Big Love (which I started watching but it's growing tedious).

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

For all of John Waters's filthiness, he is actually a very dapper and natty man.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

For all of John Waters's filthiness, he is actually a very dapper and natty man.

Agree.

P.s. I also find Aqua Teen Hunger Force entertaining.

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

Striped jacket + solid pants...I thought you weren't supposed to do that [​IMG] [​IMG] My favorite Guest movie is Waiting For Guffman. Every character is great, but I crack up every time I think about Corky. "Boy I'd love to ride a sperm whale...among other things."

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

7. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Top Gun. I have seen it over a dozen times.
    the topic is guy movies, not gay movies.

8. matadorpoeta

one of my favorites. i was referred to it by a girl... a very strange, wonderful girl...

9. matadorpoeta

i recommend everyone here see glengarry glenross.

al pacino's first line is particularly apropos.

10. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

the topic is guy movies, not gay movies.
    Isn't making fun of gays a very guy thing to do?

11. Kent Wang

Although I loved Alec Baldwin's monologue in Glengarry Glen Ross I really don't think he deserved the Oscar nomination. Not that the Academy is right 100% of the time, of course...

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

only the guys loved spaceballs. goes to show women dont know comedy.

[​IMG]
    "combing the desert" hahaha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

one of my favorites. i was referred to it by a girl... a very strange, wonderful girl...

Excellent film!

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Although I loved Alec Baldwin's monologue in Glengarry Glen Ross I really don't think he deserved the Oscar nomination. Not that the Academy is right 100% of the time, of course...

not even 50% i say

15. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Huh. I really enjoyed it (though I never saw the original show). Why do you rate it as awful?

I think it was a total mis-reading by most of the cast (Mantello's fault); I certainly don't see the play as some sort of farce, which it was played as. Alda's opening scene pretty much set the tone, as he portrayed Levene as some one-note manic loser rather than the multi-layered tragic figure I intrepet him as in the play; Liev Schrieber mostly screamed, and Gordon Clapp seemed fairly clueless.

koji

16. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

I can't believe people actually watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force and find it amusing.

On occasion, definitely.

"Oh, well--he's in a better place..."

"He's in the grill of a truck!"

Coen brothers film fans seem overwhelmingly male. I know only a few women who liked Raising Arizona, and exactly two who liked Lebowski. My wife, bless her soul, appreciated The Man Who Wasn't There and Miller's Crossing, but didn't really enjoy them.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

18. Kent Wang

Coen brothers film fans seem overwhelmingly male. I know only a few women who liked Raising Arizona, and exactly two who liked Lebowski. My wife, bless her soul, appreciated The Man Who Wasn't There and Miller's Crossing, but didn't really enjoy them.
    Their humor is difficult to penetrate for many people, male or female. That said, I think you are right on some counts as many of their plots are highly violent. The action scenes in Miller's Crossing come to mind especially.

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Difficult humor doesn't seem limited to gender demographics; rather, it's almost elitist if you can call it that, which I suppose you can.

Dorothy Parker's humor was certainly cynical and not very female.

When I think of male humor I tend to think of something really crass like that awful Jackass.

20. Kent Wang

Difficult humor doesn't seem limited to gender demographics; rather, it's almost elitist if you can call it that, which I suppose you can.
    This is a major reason why I find their films so appealing. Let us consider the converse: what is female humour? Surely there exists female humour more sophisticated than romantic comedies and chick lit.