1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Guy Only Movies/Humour

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Aaron, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Violinist

Violinist Distinguished Member

Is that you I've seen following me of late? [​IMG]

See, that's actually kind of funny - far more funny than those completely embarrasing, horrible movies that Ben Stiller does. When people feign seriousness in doing something rediculous (like dodge ball) it's funny when John Cleese or even Jim Carry does it, but when the idiot squad Ben Stiller, Luke/Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn and Will Ferrell (perhaps he's the only exception) do it, it's just tiresome.

2. CoryB

CoryB Senior Member

American Pie and its sequals are movies that only young males would find funny.

3. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Glengarry Glen Ross.
    WORD. I have had this discussion with my fiancee, with my sisters, with female friends, with friends of my fiancee, with friends of my sisters, with friends of my female friends.... I do not know a single woman who appreciates GGGR. On the other hand, I love it to death, and have a number of male friends who do, too.

4. Margaret

Margaret Distinguished Member

WORD. I have had this discussion with my fiancee, with my sisters, with female friends, with friends of my fiancee, with friends of my sisters, with friends of my female friends.... I do not know a single woman who appreciates GGGR. On the other hand, I love it to death, and have a number of male friends who do, too.

That film just RULES. If I'd read it first, I would have thought it mundane or ridiculous, but the performances transform it. Some dialogue is going to have to find its way into my signature.

5. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

I've seen the movie a couple of times, and my wife got me and herself tickets to the recent Broadway rendition. She had a similar reaction. She enjoyed seeing the all-star cast at work, but didn't care much about the story or the themes.

I, on the other hand, loved it. Generally, I think Mamet (at least up until recently - see The Winslow Boy and State and Main ) is a taste that is more often acquired by men than by women.

6. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

That film just RULES. If I'd read it first, I would have thought it mundane or ridiculous, but the performances transform it. Some dialogue is going to have to find its way into my signature.
    One of my friends likes to greet me with "shoes", to which I reply, "boots... yes." It's impossible to explain why that moment in the film is funny to anyone who hasn't actually seen it, since the rhythm of the delivery and the almost musical give and take is so much a part of the humor. I am also very fond of "Good father? Fuck you. Go home and play with your kids." Anyone who isn't dying laughing by the end of Alec Baldwin's speech just doesn't get it. Actually, almost every line in that film is amazing. JBZ, State and Main did have ONE redeeming moment--when Alec Baldwin gets out of the car after the crash and says, "So that happened."

7. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

JBZ, State and Main did have ONE redeeming moment--when Alec Baldwin gets out of the car after the crash and says, "So that happened."

Actually, I liked State and Main quite a bit. I just think that, unlike some of Mamet's other work, it probably would appeal to women as much as men (to the extent that anyone is interested in a satire about the movie business).

Actually, my favorite line from the film (also Baldwin's) was the last line: "Well, it beats working."

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I would have thought you find him pedestrian and bourgeois. I would have pegged you as a fan of Todd Solondz, the New Jerseyan Lautreamont.
    Anderson uses Austin Healey autos and has his characters wear draped buckskin bolero jackets. I think that's enough. Welcome To The Dollhouse was grotesquely pretty enough. What about Stan Brakhage? Working through "birth, sex, death, and the search for God" with live births, and autopsies.

9. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

my wife does not get my love of cartoons like aqua teen hunger force and spaceghost coast-to-coast, nor even tamer ones like home movies and family guy. basically anything animated that's not princess mononoke is not worth her time.

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I can't believe people actually watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force and find it amusing.

11. RenosanDufus

RenosanDufus New Member

On Wes Anderson: I dont find wes anderson to be funny, generally. I find his movies sad. The humor in them eases the characters pain. I think he's a marvelous director, and I love all his movies, but funny? Sure, there are laughs, but I wouldnt call them comedies.

I think most guy-only comedies rely on a machismo sense of humor, as any sensitivity is generally seen a feminine. But then again, as I write this...what is a 'guy-only' movie? Thats a tough category to create.

12. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Top Gun. I have seen it over a dozen times.

13. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

On Wes Anderson: I dont find wes anderson to be funny, generally. I find his movies sad. The humor in them eases the characters pain. I think he's a marvelous director, and I love all his movies, but funny? Sure, there are laughs, but I wouldnt call them comedies.

I would call them somewhat dark comedies, but they are definitely comedies. His characters are usually sad and pained, yes, but that doesn't preclude the movie from being considered a comedy. Rushmore leaves me rolling on the ground holding my sides every time. The Royal Tanenbaums, which features perhaps the greatest collection of sad and sometimes pathetic WA characters, is similiarly hilarious. Who says you can't laugh at someone and feel for them at the same time?

I don't think that WA is "guy" humor, though. Most women I know love his movies.

faustian, yeah, my fiancee doesn't get why I find Space Ghost so hilarious, either. But I think my sisters probably would. I will test this theory when I next get a chance. [​IMG]

Continuing the theme of macho/violent humor that doesn't seem to appeal to women: I'm not convinced that I've ever met a woman who really appreciates Takeshi Kitano (I mean in his films; I'm not very familiar with his comedy show). Some of the violence in Sonatine and Fireworks, for example, is actually pretty hilarious.

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

However, every once and awhile I like to engage my brain in a different way (some would say "turn off"). I find films like 40 Year Old Virgin/Swingers/et al to be absolutly hiliarious and in the case of 40 Year Old Virgin surprisingly endearing. As the hackneyed phrase goes, variety is the spice of life.

A.

Exactly, what is wrong with comedy simply for the sake of comedy?? Not everything has to be highbrow, or subtle or rife with cultural and historical references that only 10% of the audience get. Yes, I like and appreciate Wes Anderson movies, Dennis Miller monologues, early Woody Allen, "Lost in Transalation", but I also laughed my head off at Jim Carrey lighting his fart on fire in Dumb and Dumber and I regularly quote from "Top Secret" and "Austin Powers". I am not fat (I am bald but I shave my head [​IMG] ) nor moronic, but sometimes I feel like I want a beer and sometimes I feel like I want a glass of DRC.

15. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Man Bites Dog