• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guy flatlined in my gym this morning

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
The wacky thing was that a whole bunch of people continued to do their treadmill and stairmaster within 5 feet of the guy while he was being brought back into the world of the living - It was a surreal sight. I'm not sure I could have carried on as though nothing happened - it's not like he fell off the treadmill and twisted his ankle.

Everybody thinks they're Fonzie. Gotta be nonchalant. Never let them see you sweat, especially at the gym.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was flying back from a court hearing/BR sale/closing in Oklahoma and was in Detroit waiting for my bags. Flew TWA (circa 1997). Rushing thru security with original closing documents including a $40M promissory note in my briefcase, I thru my car/house keys in my suitcase. They had to check my bag at the gate since there was no bin storage. Well, TWA lost my bag (not sure how when the plane was there) but I had to wait approx. 4 hrs for the next flight. I was on the phone calling the TWA customer service rep everything but a child of God and telling her how ****** my day was, etc when she placed me on hold. this old guy (approx 75+) dropped in front of me. Then the paramedics came and he flatlined right there. when she came back on, I told her my day was better than the dude who just died in the baggage area. she said she had no reports of this and blah blah blah when suddenly she said "oh ****" as it just came over their system. what was surreal were all of the people pushing to get their bags off the conveyor while the paramedics were working to save the guy.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Yeah, that was the surreal part. There were about 5 paramedics surrounding the guy. One had the defibrillator, the 2nd was pushing on his chest to get his breathing going, the third had the display unit that showed his heartbeat. And while this guy was fighting for his life, there were a half dozen people within 5 feet of the medics happily going on with their cardio... WTF?

I'm surprised they didn't clear the area, but regardless, have some respect for the guy and at least suspend your workout for a few minutes, for crying out loud...
facepalm.gif

I was at a beach resort over xmas and a kid drowned. little 6 year old boy. I was far away at the resort's restaurant and heard the commotion.

I run over an these thee huuuge German dudes (6'3" 240+lbs) are doing CPR on the kid and actually kept him alive (but naturally CPR did break his sternum and some ribs). . Even being a doctor I hate situations like that. Because all we could really do was CPR until the ambulance arrived.

So I accompany the kid in the ambulance and have to deal with his seizures with the medics until we get to the hospital. I stay with the kid until he's stable and inform his parents about everything ect.

So I come back to the resort about 2hours later and its like nothing happened kids still swimming and people still having fun. I can almost bet that there were still people just having fun in the nearby pools too during the whole ordeal. - it sucks but it happens.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
probably 6 or 7 years ago I was in a strip mall and these couple of 10 year olds were running around and one of them smashed through a glass door. I ran towards the poor kid and saw a deep gaping wound where his right knee used to be, I mean I can see the kid's ******* bone!

so I need to tie the kid's leg to stop the bleeding, and the store whose door he smashed is a fabric store, and I asked the salesgirl for a piece of fabric to tie the kid's leg, AND THE STUPID ***** DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE AWAY THEIR INVENTORY!!! good thing there was another guy who offered his bandana, and the kid was finally carried out and brought to the hospital. all this time, except for me and the guy with the bandana, no one else tried to help, and the mom even rushed in and just told her kid "what the hell did you do?!" wtf!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
probably 6 or 7 years ago I was in a strip mall and these couple of 10 year olds were running around and one of them smashed through a glass door. I ran towards the poor kid and saw a deep gaping wound where his right knee used to be, I mean I can see the kid's ******* bone! so I need to tie the kid's leg to stop the bleeding, and the store whose door he smashed is a fabric store, and I asked the salesgirl for a piece of fabric to tie the kid's leg, AND THE STUPID ***** DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE AWAY THEIR INVENTORY!!! good thing there was another guy who offered his bandana, and the kid was finally carried out and brought to the hospital. all this time, except for me and the guy with the bandana, no one else tried to help, and the mom even rushed in and just told her kid "what the hell did you do?!" wtf!
Lesson of the day/thread: Most people are dumb as **** and don't know how to react under pressure. If I were to tender an answer, I'd say social norms overpower instinct. Kinda lame.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the legal ramifications of helping or not helping an injured person?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower

In this circumstance, none. As someone noticed and called for paramedics. Those that continued their workouts just looked soulless.

Even if they tried to help, they likely could have killed him.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower

Some jurisdictions have laws that obligate someone who witnesses an accident/injury etc to assist to the best of their abilities and if there is no risk of injury to yourself or a third party until help (i.e. first responders, a doctor etc) arrives.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PiperInAlberta
Some jurisdictions have laws that obligate someone who witnesses an accident/injury etc to assist to the best of their abilities and if there is no risk of injury to yourself or a third party until help (i.e. first responders, a doctor etc) arrives.

Good way to get your socks sued off in America.

Simon Templar

Reaction score
Your stories reminded me of when i was touring New Zealand and the next morning was supposed to go with a small group and see Fox Glacier really close up. During the night we heard a siren, although baffled (no fire etc) we went back to sleep. The next day we found out that a young Canadian backpacker had been involved in a hit and run and had died, on the road leading to the glacier. The siren was used to alert the local volunteer emergency services as there was no hospital or police in this isolated small town. The driver that had hit and killed her kept going. The road to the glacier had been sealed off and thus there was no way we could visit the glacier. Although it was an utterly tragic event, one woman in our group was whining about how it had spoiled her plans to see the glacier!

I can't understand how insensitive people can be. I didn't even know this poor girl but was deeply saddened esp by the thought that her family in Canada would be told the worst news possible.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Good way to get your socks sued off in America.

That's what Good Samaritin laws are for, to protect your 'average joe' who stops to assist. Many laws also have the caveat that the rescuer uses only the skills/equipment he knows how to use or has been trained on or that the help they provide is 'reasonable'.

For example, if I was observe someone having a heart attack and go VSA (no breathing or pulse) and I began CPR using a defibrilator I would be covered if the victim or his/her family tries to sue because I've been trained in both and performing CPR on that vicitim would be considered reasonable. If the guy collapsed and was still conscious and I launched into CPR, I would be liable for any injuries caused because CPR on a conscious individual is not reasonable.

Same goes for people trained in advanced medical procedures who aren't medical professionals. Certain people are trained to use a tourniquet, quick clot or a perform a tracheotomy in certain situations...but if they were to apply those on the street they would be open for legal action (regardless of whether or not they saved a life) because these types of things are approved either a) only for use in certain situations or b) only for medical professionals to perform.

(now this is a Canadian example, not necessarily applicable to the US)

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I am aware, you are not obligligated to help in the US; even as a physician. Ethically yes, but not legally. Good Samaritan laws do exist to protect you in the event that you do help but you cannot charge for your services after the fact. I believe that if you attempt to do this you lose the Good Samaritan protection and can then be sued.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
As far as I am aware, you are not obligligated to help in the US; even as a physician. Ethically yes, but not legally.

Good Samaritan laws do exist to protect you in the event that you do help but you cannot charge for your services after the fact. I believe that if you attempt to do this you lose the Good Samaritan protection and can then be sued.

We've got one province up here (la belle province..also known as Quebec if you're not baguette-chaser) where, by law, you're obligated to assist and are protected in doing so.

Four (if memory serves me correctly) more provinces have Good Samaritin laws on the books where you're not obligated to assist someone but, if you, you are protected given the usual caveats ('reasonable assistance', only what you know how to do etc).

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
As far as I am aware, you are not obligligated to help in the US; even as a physician. Ethically yes, but not legally.

Good Samaritan laws do exist to protect you in the event that you do help but you cannot charge for your services after the fact. I believe that if you attempt to do this you lose the Good Samaritan protection and can then be sued.

thats what i ******* hate. the last thing i want to lose is my medical license for trying to keep someone alive. but **** it has entered my mind when there is an emergency outside the hospital.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
thats what i ******* hate. the last thing i want to lose is my medical license for trying to keep someone alive. but **** it has entered my mind when there is an emergency outside the hospital.

Kind of crazy how someone will sue you for saving their life or (the more usual occurance) someone's family will sue you for attempting to save their loved one's life if they end up dying under your care.

And people wonder why strangers walk right by them when they're in distress and need help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads