1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gut end braces

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Smooth Jazz, Jan 25, 2005.

1. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior member

Thanks J. I've already spoken to my tailor about buttons. I was hesitating about having them done because I can have extremely sensitive skin. I was worried that the buttons would chafe, even through a shirt. A wallet in an inside pocket of a jacket hurt me once. (And not through spending its contents, either.)

Buying these for testing purposes seemed easier than going to the tailor.

2. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I find this exchange interesting because several folks (Flusser in "Style and the Man") have lamented the fact that Thurston "doesn't make them like they used to."  I had always thought that this meant they don't make them with catgut ends any more, but it appears the situation is more complex.  If I understand Smooth Jazz's post correctly

1. Thurston first made them with (white glove leather covered) catgut.

2. In the 1960's Thurston made them with (uncovered) catgut.

3. In the 1970's, Thurston then made them with (uncovered?)nylon monofilament.

4. Today, Thurston makes them with (white glove leather covered) nylon monofilament, which is visually identical to the braces made in the 1890's.

I have several of the Thurston braces with uncovered white catgut, and have never had a problem with breakage.  I wonder what causes the breakage - normal wear, drying of the gut.

Bic

3. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior member

Yesterday got got emails confirming my order and answering some questions.. The buttons arrived today.

I'll test them over a few days, but I'm not sure when that will be.

4. Bracemaker

Bracemaker Active Member

If you want it from the horse's mouth (I run Albert Thurston ), so to speak, here is the actual historical timeline...
    1800's up to 1960's Gut was covered with gloving leather
    1960's to late 1990's Gut was uncovered.
    In the 1990's gut no longer available as it was used by the fishing industry as THEY (not us) started using nylon monofilament. We do not use nylon monofilament.
    In the noughties (2002 on ) we ran out of our stock of gut and have been using a better cord alternative which we cover with gloving leather, so now they look like the ones we made prior to 1960's. Hope all clear ..

5. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior member

The clip-on buttons are doing their job well. I've been wearing them for three days now with three different suits. No problems so far. Based on current experience, I'd recommend them.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Welcome to the forum, bracemaker. I've heard many good things about your braces, don't own a pair yet (or any pair), but plan to at some point. I hope you join in some of our varied discussions, and not just your specialty.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

welcome to the forum as well. I am a brace fan, but have not yet been able to aquire any of yours. hoping to next time I am in the UK.

8. Trilby

Trilby Senior member

Welcome. I'm a big fan of your braces, and was getting very worried when I heard the reports about the gut-end braces no longer being available. Boxcloth braces with ordinary leather ends just don't do the job. I wear your boxcloth braces almost every day (all with the uncovered gut ends) and was pleased to see the new version with the glove leather covering.

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I add my name to the chorus of welcomes. I have been wearing Thurstons for more than a dozen years, and don't wear or even buy any other brand. The best.

10. Webmaker

Webmaker Member

Hello all, I am Bracemaker's younger brother (and builder of the Thurston website for my sins). I have here in the office the 1870's catalgue of Thurston products, with wonderful victorian diagrams of their products at the time, rejoicing in fabulous names like 'The india rubber Albert". (india rubber braces with catgut ends) . I have been meaning to scan it in and add it to the site as something to browse through, if these forum members think it worthwhile, I'll finally get around to it. all the best to you all, Jerry

11. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior member

You've got a solid little site. Quite user friendly. I think the scans would add to the history section.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Come on now Webmaker, do you even need to ask? Yes. That would be great.

13. Bracemaker

Bracemaker Active Member

Typical, isn't it. You hear nothing from the Thurston mob for 185 years, then two of them turn up on the same afternoon.
    Hi Jerry . (he is at the other end of the country to me).

I must say I am pleased with the kind words from you all - I was expecting dog's abuse, but that comes from only ever posting on a sports fan site previously. This is much more civilized.

Can I pick your collective brains? I am seeking a photograph of Gary Cooper taken in the 1930's - seated as I recall - wearing striped braces. Any ideas?

14. Manton

It is in several books, including Flusser's latest, Dressing the Man, page 224. Â The Ben Silver catalogue has also used it more than once. Â Great picture. Â Are they Thurstons?

15. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

16. Manton

17. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Bracemaker,

do you have a shop in a passage off of Jermyn street? I was in a place that was full of what appears to be your product, but I had written down a different name, could they be private label customers of yours?

18. Bracemaker

Bracemaker Active Member

Thanks - that is indeed the one. On close examination they dont look like ours, I'm sorry to say.

One more boon to crave - I seek a picture of Fred Astaire wearing a pair of gut end Thurston braces in The Barklays of Broadway. Now those were ours.

19. Manton

I don't think I've ever seen a single picture of Astaire in braces. Perhaps in some photos he has them on under his vest, but there is no way to know. His reputation is that he mostly wore lower-rise trousers with belts (or old ties).

20. Bracemaker

Bracemaker Active Member

My (admittedly poor) recollection is that he was dancing round a bedroom whilst getting dressed, and they are on view. There may, of course, be no stills from the scene.
    Shot in colour - his first?

Anyway, thanks again for your welcome everyone.