Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Gustin uses flat-rate mailers, probably internationally as well as domestically. Jeans are sent in small-size mailers, which are about $5 domestic, $20 international. Jackets get sent in either a medium or large flat-rate mailer, which domestically is either $11 or $15. The international price on those is $40 or $50 depending on the size. So there is a slight up charge to get to $60, it's possible that they just don't have it set to the right amount, or that there are extra factors. Check with them, though even the best case scenario would only be a slight reduction down to cost.

And yes, other retailers are very often taking big hits to their bottom line to subsidize international shipping, when they charge much less.

2. who8mahrice

who8mahrice Senior member

I was looking at shipping prices as I was thinking I might be able to help out with some proxying. International priority shipping on Gustin's site is showing $23 for me. A 2 pound priority package from US to Canada would be $28 (that's online discounted price too). So it seems like Gustin's actually giving a discount. With domestic shipping $5, and 2 pound first class shipping to Canada at $15, there's really no benefit of getting it proxied (and is just slower in fact).

3. althanis

althanis Senior member

I think the chore coat is a little heavier, so there's that. But they do use First Class Priority shipping with tracking and stuff, which I think is pricier than just regular shipping (not priority).

The charcoal's funded now though :(

4. troika

troika Senior member

Just got my trucker in. Holy shit this thing is stiff. Fits me kinda tight [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. thejrob

thejrob Member

If you don't mind posting, what size is your jacket and how big are you?

I'm thinking about ordering the denim trucker.

Thanks

6. troika

troika Senior member

Got the XXL. I'm a big dude, it says in my profile.

Gustin has measurements for everything on their website.

https://www.weargustin.com/fitguide#jackets

7. thejrob

thejrob Member

8. woodibly

woodibly Member

Question about the waxed jacket...is there a specific wax that's made for it that we can reapply as the wax on the jacket wears down?
    [​IMG]
    I'm loving the jacket. Already broken in after a few days and has easily become a favorite. I'm 5'6" 155lbs wearing a Small.
    Also wearing Gustin Thirteeners and Red Wing Legacy 875s.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  9. Hobbs32Reg

Hobbs32Reg Member

Awesome pic, thanks for sharing. Nice combo too.

10. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

The more I see that trucker jacket, the more I covet it. Must...remain...vigilant...

11. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

There are a lot of different waxes you can get to re-treat it. Filson probably has some. The one I've used recently is Australian Leather Seal from Saratoga Saddlery.

http://www.saratogasaddlery.com/leather-care/

All these waxes are is a mixture of beeswax, maybe some lanolin, sometimes some other natural oils (nothing petroleum-based), and some fragrance.

I will say, I've had a variety of oilskin and waxed jackets over the past 20 years, and you're lucky if you need to re-treat it once every five years or so. If you notice a spot where it doesn't seem as water-repellant as it used to be, just put some of the wax on and work it in with a hair dryer on high or a heat gun on low. You definitely don't need to re-wax the entire thing unless something very bad happened to it (like washing it in hot water for some reason).

12. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

I might try to re-wax mine in a bit. Someone from Gustin can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this fabric (at least the olive) has as much of a coating as most Filson or other outdoor pieces might, and don't think it was really intended to serve the same purpose either.

13. who8mahrice

who8mahrice Senior member

I've used Otter Wax on a cotton jacket and canvas bag, worked great. I bought quite a number of blocks of them and have a few left. If you wanted to work something out for one or two bars, PM me.

14. LoveOfJack

LoveOfJack Member

15. woodibly

woodibly Member

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I need another pic when their duffel's ship! :D

Also, Gustin contacted me back and recommended Otter Wax as well for their jackets! I don't think I'll need to wax it in the near future, but it's good to know what to get when I do.