Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Just got the notice that my first Gustin item was funded... Guess I'll be getting a new belt soon!

2. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

So I'm sitting in my new Gustins for the first time. Finally got the courage up to break these bad boys in. The discomfort in the waist isn't sooooo bad. But I cannot button any buttons on the fly, which makes conversations with other humans a tad awkward! Seriously though, these things (the Okayama Standards) are awesome. I can envision this not being the last pair I buy, and I don't even wear jeans that often.

3. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Josh,

Any time frame on this? As soon as this is offered it will be backed by me!

Thanks.

4. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Do you mean that you can't, in regard to the fact that you didn't want a button fly and you find them tricky? Or you can't because it's so tight? If it's the latter, then they are *tooooooooo* small for you. Most people size so that they either just barely can button the top button, or for some super stretchy fabrics, so that it takes some time to get the top button (though I've always thought that was a mistake). But if you can't button the bottom button, then you don't have a viable pair and need to size up at least one size, if not two. Gustin will take the pair back for credit or exchange, so you're not SOL, but you do have to cover the shipping.

5. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Good question. I'd say it's a bit of a combo. Mostly just not used to buttoning the fly so it's probably more a matter of getting accustomed to that. I can actually pretty easily button the other three buttons once the top one is buttoned, now that I've really tried, and the fit in the seat and thighs is solid. The rise is also just right, so I wouldn't want to size up. Just probably need the two weeks to get these stretched a bit.

6. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Ah, okay. That's a lot different than "I can't button any of the buttons" then. And you'll get better at it. One of the things to switch, mentally, is that with button flies you go bottom to top, while with zipper flies you start with the top button.

7. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Another reason why I like button flys, I'll never forget to button them all while I've forgotten to zip up flies multiple times haha

8. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Great point!

9. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Untrue for me, unfortunately. I've definitely realized that I missed a button after using the toilet. Of course, I usually don't unbutton all my buttons, so I have to figure out which ones need securing. I know a lot of guys do, though.

10. cthip

cthip Senior member

I have one of their patterned oxfords. Assuming it's a similar fabric, I would say the texture and weight of the fabric works well a little more dressed up. It's not as "rugged" as many other oxfords, but it does have a really nice soft/fine texture.

You might have trouble wearing a tie with it though. I haven't tried it, but the collar is very short compared to more traditional OCBDs like Brooks Brothers or Land's End. You'd have trouble fitting all but the skinniest of skinny ties through the points, and the button in the back of the collar pretty much signifies that this shirt wasn't really meant to be worn with a tie.

11. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Cone Pima Fires on the first weekend of wear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. hardisty17

hardisty17 Well-Known Member

Just got a pair of american sixteeners slim and I'm super pumped to break them in! fit awesome. I usually wear naked and famous weird guy, but I think i like this better. I think there's a little more taper

13. JasonYeckel

JasonYeckel Senior member

O yeah the slim is more taper in the below knee and the top block is not near as tight or low as the naked famous.

14. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Just got a pair of American Classics from the grab bag. It doesn't feel like it needs to be broken in. However, this is my first real selvage as my last pair was a GAP selvage so I may not know what I'm talking about. The 31 straight fit seems like the widest I'd be willing to go in leg size. It's definitely slimmer than my 514s but it's stil not that slim. The thighs and seat are about as tight as I can go though. Definitely need to lose a few pounds and get the waistband to stretch in order to fit in them comfortably. Probably get the next pair in 32 slims.

15. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I got mine. But they stretched out nicely. Don't order a bigger size until you've worn yours for a week and see how they fit.