Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

1) Just wear them to stretch out the waist. If you don't want to do that, you can cold soak it inside out for like 30-45 minutes (I used woolite dark) and then stretch the waist with your hands and then hang dry which is what I did. I wore it the next day after it was dry. Some people wear it when it's damp. It's up to you.

2) If you cold soak it, hopefully it got rid of any potential shrinkage and then you can get hem hemmed. How much is up to you and how big you want the cuff.

3) Can't help you there. I like button flys.

2. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

3. Iipe

Iipe Well-Known Member

1) No need to soak them right away. Just wear them and they'll stretch.

2) Do not hem them until you have soaked them or washed them if you ever plan to do so. You want to shrink them to their final dimensions before hemming. Two inches is a good length for a single cuff. I like it that way but you can like some other length for the cuffs.

3) You don't want a zipper. Button flys work well with pants that are expected to stretch. Zippers won't stretch. If you want a zipper, change it when the jeans are broken in to their final state. You might also wan't to pick a size that is initially very tight and stretches to be the perfect fit. Just like your slims appear to be. Zipper might break while buttons can handle the tightness.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

4. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Thanks Wonsmithr8, wdahab, and lipe for the advice. I guess I'll persist on the buttonfly and see if it grows on me. I've only had one pair with button fly before and it just seemed a pain every time I needed to piss. But I can understand how a zipper might negatively affect the construction of that section of the jeans. As for breaking them in, I'm not sure how I can wear them for more a few minutes at a time right now, but I assume based on what you're saying that they will stretch pretty quickly.

5. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

So far I only have one pair of Gustins (that will be changing in a day or so), and they are the American Classics. I have a few other pairs of other brands. I'm not a hardcore denim-head, so I throw them in a cold wash as soon as I get them to get any shrinkage out of the inseam and remove some of the starch and rinse off whatever else is just laying on the surface of the fabric. I let them hang to dry. The inseam on my American Classics shrank 1". I have some heavier weight raw denim that shrank 2".

That is just my experience.

6. Daphy

Daphy New Member

I can usually open button fly pants faster than zipper. You just need to undo the top button then pull down/apart all at once and every button will come undone. Buttoning it will get quicker as you get used to em.

7. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

My bifold in natural chromexcel just shipped, so I can let you know when I get it.

I hate zipper flies. So very, very much I hate them. I only buy certain brands of chinos because I don't like dealing with zippers. They add no value unless the pants are relatively high-rise because you have to undo the top button anyway. That goes double for raw denim. Zipper tape doesn't stretch, so if the waist stretches, the zipper might not want to go up all the way because it no longer aligns with the dimensions of the jeans. The worst is a zipper fly on unsanforized denim, because then you have the added effect of the zipper not shrinking which leads to additional problems.

8. Nick Lowery

Nick Lowery Well-Known Member

Is it improper to ask if anyone is selling Gustin shirts size medium in this thread? If it is sorry, noob to the rules.

9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

1) Do not soak for at least 6 months.
    2) Don't get them hemmed. Stack them or cuff them.
    3) GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, that's the basic denim head answer. For your own, do whatever you want as long as you don't tumble dry your denim. You'll be ok, my friend.

10. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Hahahaha! Look, I now better understand the structural strains putting a zipper on raw denim might create, but it will take a good long while for you all to convince me that unbuttoning and buttoning four buttons is easier or more convenient than pulling a zipper up or down. I don't see technical climbers pushing buttons through buttonholes on their storm jackets. But everyone rest easy, I won't touch the fly!

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]

12. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Just ordered a pair of Natural Indigo2. Hope these are a good first pair. I'm trying to nail the sizing but I'm not even sure if I'm measuring my pants correctly. Can someone tell me if these are around the measurements I should be getting?

31" Levi 514s
    waist 33
    front rise 10
    thigh 24
    knee 17.5
    cuff 17.5

30" Gap 1969 Skinny
    waist 32
    front rise 9
    thigh 23
    knee 15.5
    cuff 14.5

I'd like something between the two of them but not sure if I should go with a 32" Slim or a 31" Straight. My inseam is like 28" and I'm a little overweight right now so I'm leaning toward the 32" slim.

13. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

I try to go commando as little as possible.

14. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Josh,

That roughout wallet is sweeeet. Can you guys make it in the simple wallet style? I prefer a card case over a bifold. I would be all over that.

Thanks!

15. davidw25

davidw25 Senior member

I love the roughout, it would even match a pair of boots I have. But I do not like the design of the bifold wallet, only thing holding me back. Not enough card slots and too sharp on the corners.