1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

^ Navy is more versatile, imo

2. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Streaky *gasp* Downtown Brown #117 and Japan Indigo Melange today.
    SchottNYC burgundy horsehide Chromexcel Perfecto and Viberg Stichdown Color 8 Shell Cordovan boots
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Senior member

Most of my Gustin T's are the tri-blend and not 100% cotton. My only 100% cotton is the oil washed. I do have a few pigment dyed ones in the mail, the description said 100% cotton but we will see when they show up...

The tri blends definitely lose their shape a little, but that is good for a guy like me with a belly!

4. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

The pigment dyed ones I posted above are all 100% cotton and Made in California.

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

I actually like the smaller size of the dopp kit. Others I've seen have been way too large for my needs and take up too much space in my bags. Honestly, a ziploc bag is what I use and it works fine for my needs. Would like something nice, but going back and forth as to whether any leather version is just going to take up more space than I'd like.

1 person likes this.
  6. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

Most of my shirts are actually the tri-blends, but that's because I liked the look of them more. There's nothing inherently wrong with them. That said, all of the "heavyweight <whatever> indigo" shirts are 100% cotton or organic cotton. G has not sold anything tri-blend as a "heavyweight" to my knowledge, certainly not something that's indigo. If the description says 100% cotton and they didn't notify you of a change, I'm pretty positive they will honor the return quickly. My bet is that it's simply the wrong shirt. Happens all too often. G will make good on it.

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Which style perfecto is that (#)? Was always worried because the pics on their website seem so boxy

8. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

P6521
    It was the California CHIPS limited edition run of 50 pcs.

1 person likes this.
  9. venividivicibj

10. PushDontPull

PushDontPull Member

Can anyone with any of the tri-blend shirts advise on shrinkage? I just received a three pack and they are longer and wider than the listed specs and I do not like the fit AT ALL. If they fit like the listed dimensions they would be close to perfect. I don't know if I should just return them or if they will shrink enough to fall into spec.

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I don't think they shrink a lot.
    I am relatively slim and they fit perfectly.

12. DMcG

DMcG Senior member

How accurate are the Gustin measurements in general and for the button-up shirts in particular? I haven't ordered from them before but am tempted by some of their current offerings.

13. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

The heavyweight indigo tee I got came in 1" bigger in the chest and 0.5" smaller in the shoulder. vs. the fit guide.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  14. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

They generally are good for returns/exchanges/etc when more than 0.5" out of spec. Regardless of how consistent they are, if they are out of spec, they will handle it. I mean, you might run into trouble if it's 0.55" or something or a weird position that's hard to measure accurately, but if you show them something is off by more than the tolerance, they'll pay for the return shipping and whatnot.

15. Medoc

Medoc Senior member

@mountainman3520

Looks like you got the wrong product. See below for pic of the tag on my light indigo hand dyed.

[​IMG]

16. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Senior member

There have been a few nice looking heathered / multi-color t-shirts Gustin has made using a synthetic blend. I previously asked them why they didn't make these shirts in 100% cotton because a high quality t-shirt should be 100% cotton and their brand image is USA/western made products using high quality materials. Gustin said that they couldn't hit their price point using 100% cotton and achieve some of the effects they want, such as multi-color heathering. There was a debate on here months ago about whether it was possible to achieve the same multi-color effects with 100% cotton so I posted photos of numerous heathered cotton t-shirts I own. It's definitely possible, just more expensive I guess. And when you add USA labor cost, plus organic cotton cost, plus more complex coloring processes such as the heathering, it just grows too high for most people shopping the Gustin model.

It's fine for people to choose to buy synthetic blend shirts, suits, pleather shoes, etc. They are usually less expensive and sometimes easier to maintain and for many people this is the best clothing choice. But I think it detracts from the Gustin brand so they should let Walmart have the $10 synthetic blend t-shirt market.

You're totally correct that Gustin customer service took care of it without issue. They responded the next morning after my email during the night and sent a return label. They said the item looks right but the wrong label was attached mistakenly by the factory. These shirts are 100% organic cotton consistent with the description.

[EDIT - Thanks Medoc. Your label photo confirms what Gustin said, ie the wrong label was sewn on my shirt. The color difference in the photos is probably due to the lighting in the room where I took the pic. The fabric texture looks the same.]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  17. policecar

policecar Active Member

I'm having a bit of a problem with the fit of my Gustin jeans. I have 4 pairs in size 33 slim. None fit well. My leg measures 23", and waist 31". When I buy a pair of Gustin's I pay around $45 to have the waist taken in and the legs shortened. The thighs are really too small and I can't move well in them. I measured a pair and the thigh is 23", and the front rise is 10.25". My best fitting jeans are Bonobos straight size 30x30. The rise on the Bonobos is 9.75" and the thigh is somehow measuring 23" as well. I'd like to have some Gustin's that I can move in and I see a few options:

Go with the straight fit. These offer more room in the thigh, but the front rise is 1" longer. This will not improve movement and will not make me happy. Also the straight fit doesn't taper enough so I would have to pay for a 3rd tailoring operation. I'm looking at $65 worth of tailoring now. This doesn't seem like a great option.

Move up to size 34" and have even more material removed from the waist and seat. My tailor doesn't think this is the best idea. He says pants will start to look weird if too much material is removed.

Pray that Gustin starts to offer an athletic taper fit.

Stop buying from Gustin

Thoughts?

18. dcg

dcg Senior member

Go with the last option, unless and until the next to last becomes a reality. Too many denim options out there to be putting so much time and money into something that doesn't fit. And even if they fit after tailoring, the value prop of Gustin isn't really there if you're adding $45 to the cost of each pair.

1 person likes this.
  19. venividivicibj

Honestly - stop buying gustin - why buy jeans that dont fit? It's no longer a 'deal' if youre adding in 40-60 in alterations

20. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

Hemming your jeans are a necessary cost for me. I pay about $25 on average for a hem. I simply can't do a double or triple cuff and prefer a single. Any alterations beyond a hem are a waste of money. Start buying jeans that fit

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2 people like this.