Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

Cheaper for sure. However, on sale I got Filson's dop kit for 60. That's only 10 more than Gustin's. I paid 170 for their duffel, That's 35 more than the duffel currently in Gustin's store.

For those sale prices, I'm more than happy paying a little extra for the Filson products. There's been a slow increase of Gustin prices across the line, to the point where their prices are close to competition's prices- which isn't the point that Gustin started at.

I still like Gustin. I wear their jeans nearly everyday, and a few of their shirts often as well.

2. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

lower price notwithstanding, it's still unsettling to copy someone else's work and sell it. Full Disclosure - I have no idea but maybe that style was made way before Filson.

3. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

Personally, I wasn't complaining, just making an observation which is pretty obvious. Although I don't see alot of integrity in outright ripping off the Filson design, when they could have just done their own take on it instead. It looks like an exact copy except for the absence of a button closure on the flap. And I got my Filson briefcase for a pretty good sale price ($175 IIRC), which is a great value considering the quality. So it will be interesting to see how much this one goes for. If it's close to Filson's price why even bother? Especially with the lead time. Also Filson has a lifetime guarantee.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

This doesn't involve Gustin, but since it's a dang similar situation occurring concurrently I thought it was worth mentioning. Combatant Gentleman released and very quickly sold out of a Weekender Garment bag that looks quite a bit like Hook and Albert's fairly unique Garment Weekender bag.

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

well I would say as of late thats its a real shift in business model...

I think they started as a disrupter adding great value in a higher end market with a lower price point and some unique fabrics.

As of late though the dopp kit, duffle bags and now briefcase do not feel innovative at all. More so just taking an established product and trying to sell it for less. Im not saying there is anything wrong with that but I don't think its nearly as innovative as where they were

6. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

fair point, but unless Filson owns a design patent (or whatever they're called) then these types of products are fair game to anyone that has the means to produce one. We could say the same thing about Gustin's trucker, of which there are a ton of variants out there and nothing I would consider innovative. Also, we're talking about duffle bags and briefcases - how innovative can one really get with something so utilitarian?

I agree though that if Gustin's price point on these items is close to Filson's products on sale, then it's a no brainer to go with Filson. I only own three items from Filson, a tin cloth short cruiser and two of their cascade shirts. all were purchased on discount. But I also own the G waxed cruiser which hits the perfect price point.

7. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

eh most of Gustin's non-basic products seem heavily "influenced" by other brands (EG CPO, Filson's cruiser). People support them for the business model/prices, not their groundbreaking designs.

Still sort of shitty to copy, but I also think a lot of people perceive the premier brands that Gustin is copying as being better quality. All I hope is, if the price really is worth the wait, that the quality is better than the initial runs of duffel bags.

8. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Their teaser pic features a tan twill bag ... they clearly weren't interested in trying to differentiate themselves from Filson.

9. esteban

esteban Member

we are not complaining about prices in any way. obviously if the price points are similar, most people would choose to buy the real deal (filson). conversely, if the price points are miles apart, some people would choose to go with the cheaper option (assuming quality is similar). but that is besides the point.

seems to me that most of us are disappointed more than anything. why? because it appears gustin more or less copied an existing, well-known design instead of putting their own gustin flavor on it.

the lead-in email explanation described an arduous, 2 year journey that was nearing its end and served to set expecations at a certain level. once we got to the bottom of the email, excitement and curiousity turned into disappointment.

10. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

LOL at the title of the email announcing the briefcase: "The story behind Gustin briefcase...."

Let me guess how that one goes.

Chapter 1. Make a Knock off Filson
    Chapter 2. The End

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

"It took us almost two years of sampling with factories from Chicago to Portland to Dallas to Seattle to find one that was able to produce the quality of bags we wanted."

FTFY

12. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I was speaking to the design aesthetics of Gustin vs Filson, not the cost specifically. I only brought up cost because the consensus seems to be that we'll back a Gustin product if it's cheaper than Filson (in some cases), but we'd also rather buy Filson but only if it's on discount. So in both cases we're all supporting a company based on our perceived value of a product.

I think Gustin's success is derived from the fact that their stuff is US made and in most cases, cheaper than similar products on the market. Some of Filson's stuff is US made but not all of it, and this is where I get confused when people tout Filson as the superior company. I have two cascade shirts which are made in Portugal. I bought them on discount and I liked the patterns and that was about it. I don't for a second think the quality is better than any other company producing flannel shirts because it's a Filson. I like both companies but we live in a free market economy and there are many imitators out there, including Gustin. But so what? If they're able to fund campaigns for these products then they're doing something right at the end of the day. The true test would be whether or not their products are built to last and whether they can continue on this trajectory of keeping prices low.

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Just a direct comparison if anyone's interested..

Filson:

[​IMG]

Gustin:

[​IMG]

I mean...

14. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

Filson's luggage is all made in America and has a lifetime warranty. I think that's what most of use have been referring to about Filson

15. evolved

evolved Senior member

Tough crowd, lol

I think it's a nice looking bag and is very close to the Filson counter part, but that doesn't really bother me.

If I were in the market, I'd be interested, but between my Saddleback, MH Ghurka and Belstaff, I've got my bases covered.

Now, if they offered a rucksack in the same style as this briefcase, I'd be all over that.