Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

... aaand that went fast. Oh well, you snooze -- you lose.

If anyone ordered a 34 Slim and changes their mind, send me a PM.

2. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

I have a problem with my jeans. One entire leg is 1/2'' - 1'' bigger than the other. That's not normal right?

3. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

No. It's definitely not. Contact Gustin. It sucks if you can't get an exchange, but they'll do their best.

4. zissou

zissou Senior member

Man, I've been wondering why I feel like I've all of a sudden gained ten pounds. I realized last night that all of the slim medium Gustin shirts I've received have shrunk a full two inches in the chest after a cold gentle wash and hang dry! It's nuts. I wore one chambray shirt right out of the package and washed it last night for the first time. It measured 41" in the chest before the wash, and 39" in the chest an hour later. Gustin says they pre-wash all of their fabrics, but I don't think I've ever experienced anything quite like this. Now, I have four unwearable shirts.

Looks like I'll need to order classic fit medium and wait for it to shrink down to slim dimensions. Or, go with slim large and expect shrinkage all around?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

5. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

Which chambrays shrunk? Just curious since I have a few new shirts as well.

6. zissou

zissou Senior member

Japan blue and wine oxfords, true navy selvage chambray, and navy slubby-nep chambray all shrank the same way. I also received the Japan coal chambray, which I am going to return unworn.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

7. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

I have two Gustin shirts, the royal blue gingham and the rocket flannel, and I haven't noticed this problem. Maybe because I'm pretty thin already? I don't know.

8. chupas

chupas Senior member

O frabjous day!

[​IMG]

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

Well, I'm 6'2", 155lbs, which is pretty thin. I remeasured some of the slim medium shirts, and they almost exactly measure the same as slim small on the charts now. They've lost more in width than length.

10. Noirkw

Noirkw Well-Known Member

if you cant wear them and wanna get rid of them. PM me with what you have. i wear a cl/sl small

11. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Anyone have issues with buttons falling off their shirts? The one in the back of my collar and one in the front have detached themselves already and it's only been a few months. I don't know if I have any extras to have sewn back on either. Really disappointing.

12. cthip

cthip Senior member

Buttons fall off of shirts. That's why essentially every shirt (Gustin's included) has a few extra buttons at the bottom of the front placket. Snip off one of those spares and replace your lost buttons. If you're in a pinch, you don't actually need two at each cuff, so there are technically extras there as well. If you're really in a pinch, I bet Gustin would send you some new buttons if you asked nicely.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

13. cthip

cthip Senior member

Yup, all of my Gustin shirts have shrunk pretty significantly. They've never been in a dryer, and washed in cold water only. Some are borderline unwearable at this point now, so I size up on future orders in anticipation of future shrinkage. I'm a little heavier than you, but I order Large-Tall these days, mostly because of the shoulder width, and length at the side scoops. Since I'm now sizing up, I will use the dryer on the first three or four washes to accelerate the shrinkage down to my normal size. I've only tested it on one shirt so far, but it seems to be working.

I've posted measurements previously, but your estimate of about one standard size of shrinkage is correct. It would be nice to get more data on this, so that we could make better decisions, but based on the business model of bringing new fabrics to market, it wouldn't be feasible for full garments to be made, washed, and measured prior to shipping.

Although, it would be possible to wash, shrink, and measure the fabric samples that Gustin posts, and include a % shrinkage expected figure.

14. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

I meant thin relative to the shirt. You are thinner than me, But I buy slim large. I haven't noticed any shrinkage but I probably have more room to begin with.

15. TheObserver

TheObserver Senior member

I also have shrinkage issue, mostly width, not length, about one size smaller, but I have anticipated this so I size up a bit and now they fit just right.

I recommend use dryer on first wash only as I did. 3-4 times might be overkill.

All of my $30 Uniqlo OCBDs have been worn and washed several times and no buttons have ever dropped off. It would be a huge turn off if Gustin shirts do.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015