Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Agree on this. I've basically stopped following this thread because someone new comes and rehashes the same things a hundred other people have mentioned. I've bough three things from Gustin - two have been awesome, one not so great. I emailed them, returned it without any hassle, and moved on. Try going directly to them.

2. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

I have no problem seeing people complain here about QC issues. This is an open forum, you have to take the good with the bad. It's just that usually unsatisfied customers are much more vocal than satisfied ones. It does add some transparency and keeps a prospective Gustin customer informed. What baffles me is when someone comes here, reads the overwhelming evidence of QC issues, buys from Gustin, and then is completely shocked when they suffer from those same QC issues. If you're on this forum reading about all the issues people are having, then you should assume that risk when buying from Gustin. Is the situation perfect? No. But anyone on this forum, who has read a few pages should be aware of the risks when purchasing from Gustin.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015

3. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Senior member

this is the biggest issue with online forums. this is why Oak Street Bootmakers stopped being an affiliate. their thread got blown up by people nitpicking the shit out of their leather when in reality, most of the issues were not issues at all. I'm sure there are other examples.

the problem with all this transparency online is people tend to read here and there about X brand and become "experts" and start spouting out "knowledge" that in all reality is not the cold hard truth, may be biased based, or may not be the whole story. then Joe the new customer comes along, reads some truth and some bs and everything spirals from there.

it's hard to get the whole story on a brand or in our case a forum thread without being involved from the beginning so you can understand the whole big picture. sure in some cases reading 5 pages here and there may give all the info needed, but for a new customer to X brand, there is a good chance that it will lead to what i said above.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a suggestion. How about setting up two Gustin threads? One can contain specific questions and feedback on Gustin products. The second thread can be for posting all of the expert suggestions on how Gustin should run their business.

5. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

But what is the alternative? No forum at all?

Personally, I think this thread presents Gustin pretty fairly. Sure you get alot of people here complaining, but I see just as many, if not more, saying how in love they are with the products. The impression I get from reading the thread is that Gustin provides a solid product at a lesser price, but tends to suffer from QC issues and sometimes extended wait times. That pretty much lines up with my personal experience with them. So what's the problem? I think it's up to the reader to take every criticism and put it into context.

6. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

Well, there you go. An Appreciation thread and a Q&A / Feedback thread.

7. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I ordered a brown waxed trucker and got what I ordered in the 2 month time frame. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. The downside is that i've read so many threads pertaining to G's fit issues with their jeans that I haven't had the balls to pull the trigger on a pair. Plus, their jeans measurement guide isn't really what I had in mind when it comes to fit, especially with the size of their cuff openings. The straights seem insanely large and the slims seems to narrow. I prefer a cuff opening between 7.75 to 8.25", but i'm nitpicking.

8. GoodTwillHuntin

GoodTwillHuntin Senior member

Got all my chinos in the mail now. I ordered the Desert Ducks middle of October, Navys in middle of November, and Olives first week of December. I got the DD and Olives today and the Navy chinos came in first week of February. The reason why I got so many chinos before trying one is the measurements listed on the site looked perfect for me and I thought there was enough time in between my ducks and the other pants that I could receive them first and decide to cancel the other ones if it didn't work out. The ducks ended up getting delayed a lot.

Here are the measurements:
    Olive Chino:
    Tag: 30
    Waist: 31
    Front Rise: 10
    Thigh: 22.5
    Knee: 15.5
    Cuff: 15

Desert Duck Chino:
    Front Rise: 10
    Thigh: 22.4
    Knee: 15.4
    Cuff: 15

Navy Chino (after wash):
    Waist: 30
    Front Rise: 9.5
    Thigh: 22.1
    Knee: 15
    Cuff: 14.8

Fit guide:
    Front Rise: 9.6
    Thigh: 23
    Knee: 15.75
    Cuff: 14.75

I didn't measure my navy chinos when I got them but I should have. On arrival, they fit perfectly, but shrunk more than I was expecting after throwing them in the washing machine (on cold water). Now, they are a tiny bit tighter in the thigh, which is my limiting factor on pant sizing. It's a shame since they feel the best in my opinion. If I would order them again, I'd either gamble with another 30 Slim or go up to a 31 Slim.

In terms of material, I really like the navy chino material, while the olive one is good too. The duck canvas pants were the first quality duck pants I've had. They are noticeably heavier than the other two, and has the rougher duck canvas texture to them.

I would say the duck canvas pants feel a little tighter than the olives ones. I think the olives will fit me just right after going through the wash. There is a small nick(?) in the material at the shin area as shown in the image below. It's unfortunate, but I'll live with it.

[​IMG]

Overall, I really like the chinos. I wish my navy chinos hadn't been so under on the thigh. They fit great when I first wore them, which is why I didn't even think of returning them, but the wash just shrunk them too much. Maybe I'll treat the chinos like jeans and wash them very rarely. The feel and construction of them are very nice as well. I can't stop rubbing my hands on my thighs while wearing the navy chinos.

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, please implement my suggestion so that we will all know which thread to ignore.

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

This happens in so many threads, especially if it is in SWD. My theory is that much of SF, especially SWD, is populated largely by young guys who either (1) have a fair amount of disposable income, or (2) have poor financial skills, and (3) have endured little hardship in their lives (i.e., are to a degree sheltered or spoiled). Under these conditions, guys will complain about the littlest things unless their desires are met in just the right way. I see guys complaining about having to sew buttons back on their shirts, or measurements being slightly off, or having to wait an extra month for something. It's really absurd.

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm sorry, but this post is complete and utter bullshit.

Expecting a manufacturer to get the measurements correct is not the same as complaining about a button needing to be sewn on.

Normal wear and tear happens. Expecting quality products is not unreasonable.

There's a certain company I've been buying from for more than two decades from whom I have never received a defective product (there's a strong hint in my signature as to which company I'm referring). It's just good business sense to make a quality product consistently.

12. NXNW

NXNW Senior member

As someone who used to lurk here daily and is getting pretty turned off by all this complaining, I second this. However, we all know the upset people are just going to post on the appreciation thread anyways because they want to impact G's rep and that's what impatient people do.

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Appreciation thread? Where's that?

14. zissou

zissou Senior member

How many brands do you wear that consistently provide quality products with consistent sizing? Here's my list:

Well made garments with consistent sizing
    Mister Freedom
    Nigel Cabourn (although sizing can vary sometimes)
    Margaret Howell
    Gustin (I've only received two shirts so far, and they are exactly the same size)

Equally nice garments with inconsistent sizing
    Inis Meain
    Inverallan
    Brooks Brothers Black Fleece

They're not worth owning any less. It just takes a little work getting the right size. Or, maybe have a little tailoring done.

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

If I order based on measurements, I would reasonably expect not to have to have the item tailored if those measure TA would work for me if delivered as they are.

I rarely complain about sizing, though I would note that the problems I've had with Gustin have been the measurements being much too small (lim medium slim instead of medium large-tailoring would do nothing for me).

Brands I wear that I've had no problems with sizing? Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Tori Richard, Reyn Spooner, Filson, Orvis, Pendleton, Left Field, Tellason, LBM, and I'm sure others. I don't generally wear tailored clothing, so everything has to fit off the rack. The benefit of other brands is that I can try them on in stores, but I know that if I order a medium shirt from Patagonia, it's going to fit as I expect.