Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Jdub6

Jdub6 Senior member

Looking at the cone denim website and a big fan of G workshirts; would be neat for a repro/update of this from their "found collection." Could be like a killer henley/workshirt.

[​IMG]

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Not a clue on tapering with impacting the hem. A good seamstress could probably do that though. But I am not one!

-M

3. noobedloser

noobedloser Senior member

I was wondering to anyone who has the ballistic backpack. Does this look right to you? On the website the leather is the other way.
    [​IMG]

Maybe @joshgustin could chime in?
    Thanks guys

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Looks like it was sewn backwards...Damn...

5. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

If that's the front of the bag, that's a pretty massive error. I can't imagine anyone could ship that out without noticing, can't get any more obvious than that.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

6. noobedloser

noobedloser Senior member

Yeah i think that is what happened. It looks like its been sewed on backwards. Ill send them an email about it.

7. Jdub6

Jdub6 Senior member

[email protected], please source some vintage blue such as:
    Ande Whall Mustang Special Roll #2 'Vintage Blue; how can you not love these...nice low weight for summer would be sweet. ​

[​IMG]

8. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Mike, I'm guessing she tapers from the inseam?

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Yeah, this is like pair 8 she has done for me or DV, so she knows what she is doing now. I let her practice on a pair of Unbranded brand denim before starting her on my RRLs or Gustins. :)

10. ksakke

ksakke Well-Known Member

Last fall I ordered a flannel shirt that had a late october shipping date. When the due date came and went I sent a mail on several occasions to them and got always the same answer: any day now / next week. Then in mid-december I got a refund because they could not deliver the shirt because there was a quality issue with my shirt. Maybe there was a quality issue and I did get a refund but still the whole process didn't feel very good.

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I just read an interesting statistic, which is relevant to the Gustin QC chatter...

Only 14% of customers will reach out to the company if there's an issue with the product. Additionally, one-half to one-third of customers who have had problems will never purchase from that company again (from a study cited by Yvon Chouinard in 'Let My People Go Surfing').

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015

12. cthip

cthip Senior member

Yup, I'm sure the numbers are different for Gustin based on their business model. I bet a higher number than 14% of their customers get in touch regarding issues, but it's probably still a minority percentage. Still, Gustin likes to cite that the return rates for their products are low (I can't remember if they stated it's lower than industry standard, or lower than their targets), and they use that as an indicator that these QC problems are not real. Either way, we all know that significant issues still exist for a significant number of customers, myself included.

The problem is, there's very little incentive for Gustin to change the way that they do business. Many customers (myself included) will continue to purchase despite these issues. True, I purchase less than I otherwise would have, but they haven't "lost" me as a customer. I'm sure that their number of new customers continues to grow as well, more than making up for the number of customers that Gustin loses. Sure, it's not the best way to do business, but I get the sense that it's all they can do right now to fulfill current orders and keep bringing new stuff to market (accessories, workshirts, chinos, new cuts, etc.). I wouldn't go so far as to say that QC is unimportant to them, just that it's not at the top of the priority list.

Even if Gustin were motivated to improve its QC processes, it would be difficult for them to do so because of their rapid growth. It's difficult to go to a contract production facility and say: "We need you to reduce the number of defects by half. Oh yea, we need to double our order this month too. Also, we need that order in half the time." That's a bit of an exaggeration, but the point is that in the real world, it's very difficult to effect all of those changes at the same time. Also, although they're quickly growing, I doubt that they make up the majority of the business at any of their production facilities, which means that even if they threatened to take their business elsewhere (if quality, speed, etc. don't improve), that threat wouldn't necessarily carry a lot of weight.

Lots of speculation there, based on limited outsider data, but it seems like a logical fit to our observations. I'm not holding my breath for anything to improve at Gustin. I've just changed my expectations. I don't have any realistic expectation for them to meet production target dates--I only back things that I'm OK receiving "whenever." I'm very wary of ordering patterned shirts--the fabric swatches are really difficult to imagine as a full shirt. I immediately try on everything I buy, and measure it if anything feels "off." I expect tons of shrinkage over multiple washes. I generally don't back anything "new" (such as the current t-shirts) until I've read a few reviews from others and seen a few photos. I only buy their lower-priced items. Not because I'm uninterested in the higher-priced items, they're just a tougher pill to swallow if I get burned.

If I didn't have to do all of the above, I'd probably double my purchases from Gustin, and the majority of my clothes would come from them. But, I've found that all of the above steps are necessary precautions that a Gustin customer needs to take.

13. cthip

cthip Senior member

double-post.

14. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

The downside to tapering just the inseam is that it alters the drape of the leg. To counteract the imbalance, denim tailors (eg. Railcar Fine Goods) will go the extra step and also alter the selfedge side.

Some companies such as Iron Heart will even "sacrifice" the selvedge line on some of their tapered models in order attain the cut that they desire.

15. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

This thread is starting to look like the Howard yount thread with all the negativity.

My .02 is if you guys have issues with them take it up privately via pm or email. I have had some changes/issues and I wouldn't put them on blast in their thread. Rather deal with them privately. Again just my .02