Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I agree with you guys that Gustin should have stock on hand for some of their proven sellers. But, their business model exists so that they have no overhead to deal with. I can also see stock becoming an issue at some point. You know you'll get someone somewhere who will complain about why a certain size of X isn't in stock and then whinge about it until the cows come home.

2. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

#3 and 4.
    If anyone has a specific issue with a lead time, don't complain on a board, email Gustin.
    Your needs will be met and concerns addressed.
    I did this with a concern, and they addressed it in less than 24 hrs.
    This isn't rocket science.

3. evolved

evolved Senior member

I totally agree and they are awesome with fast response times, but allowing negative sentiment to fester can't be good for them.

4. zissou

zissou Senior member

Hearing the comments recommending that Gustin have stock on hand are pretty funny. It's like some of you guys like Gustin, but you want it to be something other than what it is. I speak from experience that having stock on hand is a tremendous pain in the ass (and costly, too) for a business that thrives on MTO.

I'm willing to bet that Gustin closed the community boards because of all of the whining. Really, guys, if waiting an extra month or two for a pair of pants is so disappointing, I suggest you find some hobbies. Maybe volunteering at the local soup kitchen will help you feel better about being "misled" about how long it would take your pants to arrive. Are you guys walking around in your underwear and have nothing else to wear while you wait?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

5. Phantoom

Phantoom Well-Known Member

Allow me to respond in a smug way that makes it clear I'm better than you. Oh wait, you took care of that.

Expecting a company that already asks you to wait months for a product (which is part of the deal...I get it) to be accurate with delivery estimations doesn't fall into whiny baby category, IMO.

6. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

Don't get me wrong, I have a hard enough time waiting the 2 days when I buy something from amazon. I want my stuff when I pay for it haha.

But going into Gustin, i knew the wait times. And waiting 3 months instead of 2, well, isn't that big of a deal. I have other clothes to wear. (for the record, I've only ever had one piece of clothing from them be late, everything else was on time, or before). Is it annoying? Sure. Is it the end of the world? Hardly. I understand they run into difficulties, so I don't really get bent out of shape if something is a few weeks later than anticipated.

That said, I'm also pretty much done buying pants from them, unless something really interesting pops up. I just have everything I want from them. Same with shirts, unless some really cool fabric shows up, I'm pretty set. Maybe another white ocbd or two though...

7. felizuno

felizuno Active Member

From a technology standpoint maintaining your own forum when you're trying to drive traffic to FB/IG just makes no sense. If I was their tech lead I'd have been bringing that up in every meeting. Operating a forum can be expensive and surprisingly dangerous, and if users already have this thread and the proboards community then to me it's a no brainer to drop if from the site. I mean, you probably ought to announce "hey, we're gonna turn this off next week", but leaving it on seemed like a really bad idea.

8. zissou

zissou Senior member

See, that's just it. You've lost perspective (and gotten defensive about it). Gustin isn't asking anyone to wait months. You need to accept that it will take at least months to receive your items if you choose to order from them. You're acting like it is an inconvenience from the very start, yet you chose to enter the situation knowing what it was.

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Right?

As an aside, I backed a Double Leather wristband that was supposed to ship next month. It showed up two days ago!

10. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

problems can and do arise in the supply chain which may delay orders. you don't run your own company and have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. if you have an issue with the delivery estimates then email Gustin or stop ordering from them. problem solved.

11. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

I don't want them to be anything other than what they are at their core, but as companies grow, they sometimes have to change. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to like their products but not want to wait 3+ months for an item (especially as wait times are increasing), and those are the types of customers Gustin could bring in by having some stock on hand. I'm not advocating for them to open a store or anything. but keeping a size run or two of some popular items on hand doesn't seem beyond their capabilities.

12. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

This is a great post. So let me ask as a newbie to the Gustin world: Does a three month plus wait shift he tipping point between high value/quality product via crowdsourcing versus company X shifting virtually all risk and advance costs to the consumer.....

13. khordkutta

khordkutta Member

Uhhh seasons are different in the US, so the denim I ordered for winter 2014/2015 I may not wear until winter 2015/2016 due to an additional 2 months, when I do get my gear on time its 1-2 inches off in spec, shirts and chinos, yup they've been cool with returns, but QC not cool, how do you get a 32 reg thats smaller than a 32 slim???,by like an inch... (side bar, Im of oh-fer-4 with gustin thus far), they came thru on a scarf and field notes cover though, lol.

Im holdin out hold hope that my tees and italy blackxblack and bluexblue denim orders fit, they are to be mailed out next week, or so im told.

14. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

On a different note, the Horween Dublin leather simple wallet looks quite nice, haven't seen that offered before. I have a pair of Allen Edmonds in what I believe are Dublin leather though quite darker, Rapid City's. Would be nice to pair those with the wallet.

15. raddoc

raddoc Well-Known Member

If you don't order your jeans too tight and anticipate they will stretch to a perfect fit, being a bit off spec won't matter. Buy a size that comfortably buttons from the start ...if it doesn't look good, you need a different cut.

50% of my "high end" Japanese denim is off spec...only a couple times they were truly too big, but nothing railcar couldn't fix.

All of my Gustins, tellasons etc that are made in "that" factory have been on spec...suspect the complaints here reflect a minute proportion of the product...