Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. lalaland

lalaland Well-Known Member

They could do a two-tier pricing model - stock jeans at higher prices to compensate for the capital outlay. And have the lower prices available for people who are willing to wait.

2. GoldenBrown

GoldenBrown Member

I ended up backing the Blue 17 on Saturday, even though I just told myself I was done buying jeans for now. [​IMG] Also, they won't get in until its getting warmer out. But at less than $80 shipped, I couldn't pass that up. Okay, now I'm done with denim for a couple years at least. I just need the willpower to stay off the forums and get hyped for new drops.

3. rawrz

rawrz Well-Known Member

If I were to be perfectly honest, gustin products do not have the fit and finish to be something worth paying a premium price for. The appeal, for me anyways, is being able to grab something I would normally not wear at a price that is easy to eat.

It's super interesting to see how they grow the business in the coming year.

4. nomeX

nomeX Well-Known Member

I like my Gustin jeans. The are flat felled inseams, they have a leather patch, and they have lined pockets. I have other jeans that cost more that do not have all of those features (Imogene + Willie apparently Iron Heart doesn't flat fell). If they had hidden rivets and triple stitching, I'd be very happy.

5. prisonstrength

prisonstrength Senior member

I don't think having stock on hand is the answer for Gustin. That's complicated and it's not who they are.

I think their best bet is to run fewer campaigns and up the quality control. It could theoretically create more demand if they aren't doing as much, and I think people would be happier if they could lower the waits and have fewer mistakes.

6. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

I used to own a pair of IH-634S.
    Though they were too much for me, the fact that the seams aren't felled doesn't change the fact that the quality of those are well beyond Gustin.

7. th3buhbuh

th3buhbuh Senior member

The finish of mine (except for the 26s, those were another story - had to send mine back, but got a discounted "defective pair" that was a little bigger and had a busted chainstitch) has always been top notch as far as I am concerned. The fit is sometimes off, but it is rarely anything but sized a bit out of spec - I'm way past "normal" levels of jeans so I feel I can say that. My problems have always been "oh, this is consistently sized, but marked a size small/big" but if the size is in spec, the fit works for me. Saying the "fit" in a general sense doesnt seem worth the a premium is silly. It's a pattern, just like any other company that may not work for many. I like it better than the N&F fit by far. When it's in spec, it rocks. When it's out of spec, I send it back. I simply have never cared that I've had to wait and that wait may have been in vain due to some mishap. I've never had to just "eat" the price.

8. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

I did as well, got a great pair of Okayama's from someone on the board. I wasn't that active there, but it kept tabs on it. I think it encouraged me to spend, as opposed to discouraged. At the very least, it kept people going to the site for more than just to view product, which I think would further drive sales.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  9. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I'll miss the community board too. When I first started I found a wealth of knowledge and good guys there. Gave me a reason to go the Gustin site besides just looking at the loot for sale.

I'm a huge fan of G but honestly some of their more recent moves (bailing on the community is the latest), widespread sizing issues and product delays have really disappointed me. I wish them well but hope success doesn't make the lose their DNA, that would be a shame. Bonobos all over again.

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I've missed out on their selvedge chinos and heavy weight chinos. I kinda don't want to wait for them to come back just so I can wait a few more months for them...So, I backed a pair of The Quarter Century Pants on kickstarter. Hopefully, those were be on par with Gustin's quality, well, from last year.

11. Futzy

Futzy Member

Got in a button down from Gustin today, and was pleased to find that it now feels to be my best fitting shirt. I also have some jeans from Gustin that fit well, and will pick up their chinos in that Japan military green fabric if it rolls around again to round it out. While I love the fit I don't think I will really buy into this model, and only go in some really nice/unique fabrics that come around in the future - the best thing Gustin seems to have going for it, as the wait time (both pre and post ordering anything) is its own cost that I don't feel is worth it for common materials.

12. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

Boom. Your last comment really hit the nail on the head.

However, I still think they could easily have stock on hand for the Heavy Americans and some basic oxfords. They seem to pop up all the time anyway. It would solve the answer of antsy first time purchasers -- hook them on a still inexpensive basic and get them hyped on more exotic fabrics despite the wait time.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

^^ +10

Get back to the basics, to what what made them successful and well loved and improve and perfect that. Then branch it out. This may be at odds with their financial mission perhaps? At the end of the day I can't fault them for trying to focus on their economics, I guess all I can do is just decide if G is still worth my money.

on that note, the Japan GreyXBlacks came very late, but are still VERY awesome.. So I guess I'm on the hook a little bit longer..

14. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

The allure of Gustin, is that they have new fabrics rolling out twice a week or more. And some oddball stuff that people have to have and don't find elsewhere..

Most brands launch S/S and F/W. If they don't have exactly what you are looking for, you won't buy for another 4/5/6 months...

I agree above, I would stock 1 jean in all fits, 1 button down in all fits, 1 chino in all fits. Allow people to buy immediately and try right away. Like any other brand, you will know if this works for you or not. If you are after your 1st pair of RAW denim, the 3 month wait and uncertainty of fit, this may not be for you.

I do love checking the site and seeing the new stuff weekly.

15. evolved

evolved Senior member

I think, at this point, a lot of us would agree with a few points:

1. We obviously like the quality given the price point of Gustin's products. There may be a few outliers, but that will always be the case with any product/company.

2. We like the model that Gustin has built themselves upon.

3. We do not like the increasingly long/misleading lead times for various products and would prefer that to change.

4. The silence of Gustin NOT really publically addressing the issues that we are all voicing is somewhat frustrating.

At the end of the day, I would much rather a company come out and say "Yeah, we're having issues, we got a bit in over our heads, we know it sucks and we are working to correct it" vs. not addressing the elephant in the room.