Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. StopRupp

StopRupp Active Member

The waist is close to 33 overall, so not far off of the 32.5 description. I haven't taken any pictures but I can take some and send them in a pm if you still want them.

2. felizuno

felizuno Active Member

I do and they're pretty sweet. I'm not a big black fan, and yet when it comes to jeans I want black x black not black x white, so these are great. They're an interesting texture, a little rough on the surface like the hemps on day 1. The fabric is flexible, and feels "thin" for 14oz which only means it's woven more tightly than my grey x white or Okayama standards.

With black jeans you have to watch out for the fact that sulfur/sulfides are used as the mordant in the dying process. I can say that my Italy BxB have almost no sulfur smell to them, which has been an issue with Black x Coal and a few others in the past. I can't smell them form any sort of distance, only if I hold them up to my nose, and I expect this to go away over time.

I'm really happy with mine, and think these are a great silk-free example of what Italy (Candiani) is bringing to the table.

3. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

The silence is deafening.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

4. GoldenBrown

GoldenBrown Member

Steve Albini is the man, especially Shellac.

5. GSG

GSG Active Member

I will answer my own question as I received this week the oxford shirt I funded back in December. The fabric is neither beefy nor textured. Honestly, I have been unimpressed with this shirt, I was hoping for a thick, slubby cotton, similar to Gitman's and this is none of that. In my opinion, Gustin's compares very well to Lands End's sail rigger oxford shirt, only Gustin is 3x the price. If mother of pearl buttons and a red color eyelet are worth to you that much, then get the Gustin. I do not see the added value from a $25 sail rigger. The Gustin slim fit is also very tight on the top block. My shirt is going back for a credit refund. Again, unimpressed.

6. exophobe

exophobe Senior member

*high five*

7. joshuaveldman

joshuaveldman New Member

Josh from Canada here.

Just got my Heavy Americans.

I had ordered a 30 of the slims BluexBlue, not looking at their size guide closely, and always wearing a 30 in my other pants. However, they were wayyyyy to small. So I contacted Gustin and they accepted a return for store credit.

I used that credit to order my Heavy Americans in 32 skinny and waited the couple months. Then, I didn't hear anything. Then I got an email, saying people had been missed in a run of the jeans and I was one of them. A month or so later, they shipped my pair.

Have to say, even though it was a super long wait, I am currently rocking these jeans and everything is on point with them. There was only one thread on the side seam that was sticking out a little, but up to three sticking out threads is normal in my experience even with high end denim.

They are tigggghhhtttt right now, but I can tell they will loosen. However, I will wear them for days, weeks now, because I know that no one in my city is probably rocking a pair of these with the sweet chain stitch on the bottom. The length is great for one roll up, since I am known as a bean pole.

All in all, I think Gustin is definitely feeling growing pains and need to sort their stuff out as they grow, but for me, the quality of these $81 jeans is unreal.

Hats off to you Gustin. My Naked and Famous stretch deep indigo are going to be a little quiet for a while.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Just got my Ebbets chambray hat. Super nice but ultimately not my style. If anyone is looking for one shoot me a PM and we can work something out

9. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Would you mind posting a fit pic before you send it back? I'm curious as to how it looks worn and whether the front or sides of the crown stick up vs. laying flat against your head.

Still waiting for them to come out with an all-chambray version without a contrast brim.

10. westie187

westie187 Senior member

+1. Steve/Big Black/Shellac is the shit.

11. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior member

I just got my first pair in the mail today, the Italy pink ID in 38 slim. I normally wear a 36 but followed the fit guide measurements.

I have not broke out the measuring tape but these are slightly big around the waist but fit great everywhere else. THey are not falling off me and are nothing that a belt wont handle.

My newbie question is, this will shrink a bit right? If so I'm right in the wheelhouse as a 36 based on the fit guide and compared to measuring my regular jeans looks to be too small.

12. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Wear them with a belt for as long as you want. Wash and than fire them in the dryer if needed.

13. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Ive worn my 23 ounce jeans for a while and now they are finally breaking in comfortably. Love these bad boys especially in todays shitty bay weather

14. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Put in my first order with Gustin today. Been watching things come and go for a while and the American Heavies seem as good a place to start as any. Straight fit seems a touch looser in the thigh, seat and rise than the pair of 501's they'd be replacing, right?

15. FatBinary

FatBinary Member

I'm a fatter bastard (40 Slim). The Graphites were my first pair of Gustins; and, so far, are my favorite color. I'm tall, so no hemming, but have a 1" double cuff on them. As they've been breaking in, I noticed that the back of the cuff (heel area) has become taller than the front. I've started ironing my new pairs to help train the crease; seems to be helping.