Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I just received my thomas mason flannel. Havent had the chance to crack it open but super stoked as we have gloomy weather in the Bay Area.

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm sure that was something cool... You and @troika have turned me into a denim snob.

It took me a while to find the right pair, but those Gustin Super Lights are hands down the best pants I've ever owned... Once I've lost a few more pounds (I'm already down 13 pounds since Christmas), the Roys might suprpass them. But those retail for 3.5X the price...

3. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

What?!!!! I thought mine were bad. Yours is by far the worse I've heard of. Have you dropped Ren an email?

4. cashewvine

cashewvine Active Member

I just sent an email to the gustin support email. They are on their way back for a full return

5. mcdecker1

mcdecker1 Senior member

Has anyone done a high level "if you wear a size ___ in brand X you should wear a size ___ in gustins"?

6. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

It terrible to wait ages and then get burnt. To be honest, I feel for Ren too. It can't be easy getting bombarded with emails from irate customers.

7. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

I'm still waiting on my first Gustin order, the #9 Japan Military Green Chinos. They were originally supposed to ship in late-Dec, but still nothing. The last update on 1/15 said shipping last week of January/first week of February, but nothing since.

8. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Okay, I am hoping to change the pace a little here and post up a question or two.

I backed a pair of #150 Japan Graphite in a 38 straight, yes I'm a fat bastard. Any who, when I received them in September they were very snug, snug to the point I could not do up the top two buttons.
    Fast forward to this morning and I said WTF and put them on. I have been working out a lot lately and eating "better" in hopes to slim up some and get healthier. Looks like it worked. I put the jeans on this morning and got the top two buttons done up. Comfortable... No! but I was able to do them up.
    Fast forward to now (5:30pm EST) I have been at my desk all day and the odd time I get up to get a print, grab a coffee, step out for lunch etc. The jeans have started to loosen slightly. Not as uncomfortable as they were this morning but also not super comfy.

Not sure how many of you jumped on these but the denim is amazing. It's a nice weight at 13.5 and it has a bit of a sheen to it. I really dig the colour.

Okay, so now on to my questions.

1. When do you guys hem them?
    2. I have cuffed them with BIG cuffs but can't get them to stay, they seem to want to unravel even though they are close to 2" high. Do you guys iron the cuff? I cuffed them after I put them on, should I cuff them before and really make a crease on the cuffs to ensure it stays?

Here are a few pics I took this morning, unfortunately you cannot see the colour, it's amazing. I will try and get a better pic. But you can see the cuffs are big and not the greatest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, will I back them again, sure why not. I first want to see how these turn out for me after wearing them for quite some time.

This is my second pair, my first pair were a #37 Super Light in Slim.....those would not go on. Well they did but I had to do a man tuck to button them up and I could barely get my calf through the leg opening. I never bothered to check if they were cut as per the size guide. I informed Josh and he told me to send them back for a credit to my account but I never got around to it and I've had them since July. Don't even know if he'd honour that offer still.. guess I should ask.

Maybe next I try chinos or a shirt..... thoughts?

9. nomeX

nomeX Well-Known Member

I'm getting all of mine hemmed at Railcar. I'm not a fan of stacking, it seems.

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

The only small jeans brand from whom I haven't seen noticeable QC issues is Roy, and then it's one man doing everything himself. His jeans are amazing. Most smaller brands outsource manufacturing to a factory that has little investment in quality control. I remember the massive fiascos from WvG/Crate when every pair of jeans was screwed up. Hell, even some larger brands have serious issues. I've never been able to figure out LVC sizing, and have given up.

11. troika

troika Senior member

I mean yeah...that'll happen. It's really hard to compare Gustins to ROYs

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

The difference of course is that if Roy screws up a pair or batch of his jeans, it's HIS reputation on the line. It's all on him. He has motivation to get it right, and everything I've seen about him suggests that he is an absolute perfectionist.

When the larger brands get a bad batch from a factory supplier, they can (and often do, I'd imagine) move production to another factory. This motivates the factory to do quality control on the product that leaves their doors. Since Gustin (and Tellason, for that matter, since they use the same factory) is committed to producing their products in San Francisco, they have a limited number of choices (only one, I assume) of factories to use to make their products. In this case, it's up to the company whose name is on the product to check quality before it gets to the customer. With Gustin's business model, there's also not the middleman in the form of store employees to notice and catch mistakes before they are purchased by the end customer.

13. zissou

zissou Senior member

^yes that is true about there being no middle man(I.e., shop) to check the quality. Good point.

That's my point. I think there are some pretty high expectations on here. If Gustin is willing to exchange for credit or even refund if it is a big screw up, then where's the big loss? Do we really have to get upset about waiting an extra month or two for our ninth pair of jeans? It's pretty damn easy to go an entire year wearing a single pair.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  14. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

pinko realist

15. troika

troika Senior member

Sorry, wasn't privy to the discussion just got bat signaled in by fueco.

You guys are super right with regards to setting expectations however I disagree with you about the middleman. The founders and employees have just as much quality control opportunities as the other brands. While tellason does have a presence at brick and mortars with 3rd party employees, I bet tellason and gustin have the same amount of employees packing jawnz in boxes for shipping. Are they looking for faults? Probly not.

I think it comes down to the biz model. A company with stock on hand can afford to have higher quality control than the one that pumps out new shit all the time. But that's also why it's half the price.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015