Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

Gustin's prices aren't all that different from end of the season prices for more established brands. Sure, a lot of their stuff is a good deal, but w/ the pervasive QC issues and extensive wait times it ceases to be such a great deal. Not to mention there are competitors with similar price quality ratios with shorter wait times and fewer QC issues. This is getting ridiculous. And I've yet to hear Josh make any statement regarding QC issues and what, if anything, is being done to address it. I'd rather pay a little more or shop around for deals than wait 3 months to find out if my purchase is wearable. And I've supported this brand in the past. But I can no longer do so. If it works from a business perspective, so be it. But I will no longer use or endorse this brand until there is improvement. And I'm not the only one.

2. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Me, for being a JDM snob, I think Gustin make great quality goods for the price they are offering. I would continue to support them.

3. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

OK. Let me make this very simple. They ask that you use their guide to select jeans. Are you with me so far? I use their guide and select the size that best marries up with my favourite jeans. Hang in here. Now the problem, the size I order does not match their size guide or has major defects. Do you not see the problem here? I've so far received 5 pairs. The first pair were fine. The second pair has misaligned buttons on the fly but I let it slide because the fit was as per the guide. The third pair had a major defect in that the stitching on the inside of one of the legs had completely missed the denim. The fourth and fifth pairs did not match up to the size guide. By my calculation, that's an 80% failure rate. That's a laughably high failure rate. Now to compare with other brands, I have never had sizing defects eg one leg smaller than the other, with ANY other brand. Most denim companies are small operations. Before you jump and and compare prices, ask yourself why they charge more. Maybe, just maybe, the Gustin model is flawed! People carrying out QC costs money. If you're trying to undercut your competitors by avoiding quality control, then you really do not deserve any respect whatsoever.

4. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

Well said!

5. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

The QC issues are more than occasional! Read around. I gave them a chance and got burnt badly!

6. MidGen8

MidGen8 Member

Any tall guys own a trucker? I love the style but worried about the body length being too short, especially as I'd need an XL and the chest size jump is big between L and XL. My chest size is about 33" so im worried itll be to wide and boxy. I'm 6'4" 14.5st.

7. prisonstrength

prisonstrength Senior member

From your comments, you've clearly had a bad experience and justifiably have it in for the company, so I'm not going to get into it with you. All I'll say is that people that don't have QC issues don't post about not having QC issues. I'm not saying it's not a problem, I just shared my perspective on the issues.

8. felizuno

felizuno Active Member

It's called sample size. If you line enough people and have them flip coins, after 10 flips somebody will have flipped heads 10 times in a row. You're doing the equivalent of flipping those 10 heads, then turning around and yelling to everybody that the coins are rigged.

I've had 11/12 show up excellent, so that's a 91.7% success rate, an order of magnitude greater than yours. There is wild difference in our numbers because neither of us has a large enough sample size to make any type of statistically confident claim.

I'm sure everybody feels bad for you that you had bad luck. I certainly wish I was seeing you post fit pics instead of having difficulties. Let's just keep in mind that people who receive on-spec items usually don't turn around and post about it. You see a lot of complaints because you are looking at what is essentially the complaints box.

I don't blame you for not wanting to try again, but bad luck is bad luck man. I say be glad it's just pants and not a lemon car or house with hidden issues that you can't just send back :)

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

And a lot of people who've had an issue let it slide. Some people just take the loss and move on.

This thread on SF is a very small microcosm of Gustin's customers... We also tend to be incredibly picky and knowledgeable about clothing and fit. I'm sure that a great majority of Gustin's customers are happy with their purchase, or else products wouldn't keep getting backed.

My own defect rate with Gustin products is 2 out of 5 (belt with backwards buckle (they've since switched to Chicago screws, I see), and a shirt that was cut more like a slim tall medium than like a slim large. The other products are awesome... I cut Gustin some slack, and am still backing products. They ARE making steps to address QC issues, as evidenced by the switch to screws for the belts (which also conveniently allows one to swap buckles). I would assume that Josh sees what we posts here and shares the comments with his team. I only regret that I can't make it to their get-together at the office tomorrow night. It would be cool to meet these folks in person!

I cut Gustin some slack because they are still new to this whole business model. They WILL iron out the problems, or they'll die. It's up to them... I cut them slack because I like and appreciate what they are attempting to do. I love the clothing I have from them that fits. I really like my Field Notes case and my denim apron. Do I think they're perfect? No, but for the price, at least I can get a product that fits (or return ones that don't), is made within 50 miles of home, and looks good.

10. evolved

evolved Senior member

I totally agree with all of this except for #7. Saying that an item is complete and shipping in order of backing (multiple times, mind you), only for that shipping NOT to happen is not indicative of us having the latest information that Gustin has. I would rather them say "we really don't have much of a clue when these will be done" vs. telling us that something is finished and shipping when it's really not.

11. cashewvine

cashewvine Active Member

Just got my pair of gustins. Waist was 1 inch less than the fit chart. Thigh was nearly 2.5 inches off from the fit chart. Completely unbelievable and unacceptable. I waited essentially 4-5 months for nothing.

12. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

Given that almost all my jeans have come in dodgy and all of FELIZUNOs jeans have come in on spec, clearly, there's a batch issue going on here. With me and you both receiving recent shipments, my guess is that the latest batch were one of the dodgy ones. Rushed due to being late? Who knows? For me, Gustin's customer service has stepped up to the mark. However, they shouldn't have to do this. Fundamentally, their jeans are very well designed and use good material. The sewing shop is letting them down. If their jeans came up to spec, they'd have a damn fine product at a very good price. However, for me, it's too late. I hope they get a grip of these issues.

13. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Stephen made me an old fashion drink during their first SF meetup. They got me, bro! They've got me! lol but seriously though, I'm lucky to be an hour away from their head quarter so any time I need an exchange I can just hop on up to them. I can even try on their wares to get a better idea of the fit. Lucky me! Either way, I'm sure Josh is aware of their quality issues. I'm sure something's got to give.

14. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I am sure @joshgustin can chime in on quality issues, and if he so chooses he can comment on my previous post.
    I certainly do not claim to understand their business in enough detail to comment more than I did.
    Personally I am not going to get bogged down in what seems to be leaning toward spam on this board.
    There are a few who just appear to like to read their complaints and stir the pot.
    Bottom line is take up specific quality issues with Gustin directly. They will likely address the concerns directly.
    If you just want to complain on a forum, then you have every right, but you start to look like you think the sky is falling 100% of the time.