Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

Really? Don't forget they like to say their jeans used to retail at for $200. This is at a level higher than Nudie. I'll agree with you on the supply/demand. There's probably a lot more demand for Nudie. They can after all sell jeans that match their spec :nodding:

2. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

All i'm saying is that G is a much smaller company and isn't as pervasive as Nudie. We're simply discussing the economics of organic cotton vs traditional cotton. I'm not trying to defend Gustin or their pricing structure. I have no interest in organic denim and I buy my organic tee blanks elsewhere. None of us run a company and have no idea what's involved in sourcing organic denim fabric. We're all just speculating

3. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

4. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

I'm in Europe, so I guess theyre cheaper here than in the US. Also, you get jeans that marry up to the fit guide. Also, production costs will no doubt be lower in the US. Remember, Nudie manufacture in Italy.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

5. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

Fair point

6. evolved

evolved Senior member

Has anyone received a shipment notification for their October-backed chino's?

7. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

No, but I see this: Production status: 2/3: Chinos will continue to ship out this week through early next week.

8. evolved

evolved Senior member

I won't hold my breath, at this point. We've received notifications like that since late December.

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

Man, I caved while drunk last night and backed the blue selvage Oxford shirt at the last second while wearing my Japan blue Oxford shirt.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

10. prisonstrength

prisonstrength Senior member

I backed the Army Green Duck Canvas Chinos and I've got this one: 1/15: Chinos finishing towards the end of the month and will ship in the last week of Jan and first week of Feb.

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

THIS is Gustin's marketing strategy... ;)

12. Chylo

Chylo Member

I have the same status update for the Japan Olive Chinos. I've purchased 6 items from Gustin thus far, and this is the first to be behind schedule.

13. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Pardon me for my soapbox, for a second.
    This (or parts of it) applies to more companies on Style Forum than just Gustin.

There are a ton of complaints, and then a lot of comparing Gustin to much larger companies.
    Lets step back and realize what we have here.
    1. Gustin is a small business. (as opposed to many of the other suppliers) It is likely smaller than most people think.
    [​IMG]

2. Gustin very likely (I would bet on this) doesn't have full time, in house QC folks in the factories that fabricate the goods.
    3. Gustin designs and has private label USA MADE goods made that we are able to get at EXTREMELY competitive prices.
    4. Every fabric will sew up differently, every fabric will wash differently, every fabric is also touched by human hands. This means variations are inherent.
    5. The quantities of each fabric in each run that gets sewn up is likely in the 10's, not hundreds. This means that neither Gustin nor the factory has complete control of how each item will sew, wash, and lay when worn. If this were someone JCrew or a company that many compare, you would see many pairs made up to test.
    6. What we get is custom almost every single time. Custom, at this price point is not Bespoke, and nor should it be expected to be.
    7. Suppliers get backed up and are not always 100% forthcoming with schedule issues and bottlenecks. Realize that we likely have the latest information that Gustin does.
    8. If anyone thinks there is an inherent flaw in this business or process, they can be sure to spend their money elsewhere.
    9. If you want my opinion, Gustin cares deeply about each of the issues brought up, and tries to remedy every person's concern that they are directly made aware of.

I am not being a fanboy of them. I am sticking up for the small business.
    ok, stepping off of the soapbox.

14. prisonstrength

prisonstrength Senior member

I think this is so important for people to understand. Gustin gets great goods at pretty unbelievable prices. It's unfortunate, but that means that they're going to have a tougher time with some things. The big thing is the funding model, but QC is occasionally going to be a problem as well. It doesn't make it any better, maybe, for the consumers that have issues, but it is understandable, from my perspective at least. On top of that, their customer service seems to be out of this world, and I think that's a huge deal. They really try to remedy whatever problems arise, at least from everything that I've seen.

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This is all true. But I will add that QC will kill a small up and coming company more quickly than a larger company...

I learned a couple of years ago that providing top notch customer services and standing behind my product will do more to grow my business than having low prices. I don't produce products, but I do need to accurately represent those items I sell, and get them to the customer on schedule and in the condition described.

If I can do this as a one-man shop selling 2-300 items per month, surely a slightly bigger business can do so?