Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]
    Well, that was entertaining.

Seriously, though, want some advice from those who have worn the straight fit. New to raw denim but like what I've read about Gustin and the pricepoint was good for this poor academic. My ideal waist is 33.5 on a well fitting pair of pants, so went for the 32 in Gustin (32.5 inch), assuming about 1 inch stretch. Got a pair yesterday (lighter weight denim) and it's fine everywhere except at the crotch. Noticeably snug. Not painful, but just "hmm...don't usually notice that on my other pants".

As far as I've read, there is little stretching of the denim in this area?
    Maybe it's the fact that the jeans are still "starchy"?
    Is the rule for raw denim that if it is snug at crotch, then opt out because they won't stretch at that point?

I'm surprised as I usually take slim fits in 32 khakis/wool trousers (e.g. epaulet/howard yount). Not an issue in those cases.

Advice appreciated. A good joke as well (but with advice [​IMG]).

2. TweedyProf

Stitchy, looks nice! Hope they fit you!

3. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

My experience with denim is that as the top block stretches, the crotch loosens up somewhat. My first pair of raws were a pair of Raleighs, and they had this issue for sure. After a week or two of wearing, there was not this issue any more. And that was with a pair that while the exposure aspect diminished, the crotch bridge never stretched enough for me to spread my legs. With the naturals, I had enough room in the crotch bridge to spread my legs even with my previously mentioned issue.

Basically, your hips and your ass are going to stretch the denim enough so that there isn't as much tension, and things stop being in sharp relief, in my experience. But, if you can't spread your legs a reasonable amount without a massive amount of tension across that bridge, that is never going to get better and you'll get a blowout nice and quickly.

With my Super Heavies, I found I had more than enough room from the start though.

4. johnbrain

johnbrain Active Member

I took some additional pictures of the Natural before returning them if anyone wants to see more details. Hopefully another campaign comes soon because I live the fit of the straights. The waist was too small for me.
    Beeranddenim.wordpress.com

5. TweedyProf

Hey Wdahab:
    Thanks for the response. I might just wear them as you suggest and hopefully, loosen some tension in a few weeks. I'll do a few hurdler stretches! Appreciate your advice.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks! only did one quick try on so far, but they seem to be just right. will probs wear on sunday and see how it goes through a full day of wearing.

7. BernieIsMyCat

BernieIsMyCat Senior member

Here's another idea for you to try; it's how I was able to solve this problem. If you are used to higher rise pants, you may be hiking up your jeans too much. Try wearing them a bit lower on your hips. Gustin's straight fit is a mid-rise jean and shouldn't be worn with the waist too high up. Wearing the jeans lower will create more room in the crotch area.

8. TweedyProf

You might be right. I have a tendency to wear the pants higher as this leads to less bunching below the seat. But these are jeans after all! Thanks for the suggestion.

9. BernieIsMyCat

BernieIsMyCat Senior member

If your jeans disappear into your ass crack like in this photo, that is a sign they are being worn too high.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

10. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Senior member

You wear them like this and the front will look that way as well.

11. johnbrain

johnbrain Active Member

Gustin offered up either the Japan Classic or the Heavy American in a 32 to immediately ship. Went with the lighter Japanese denim because it never gets cold here.

Great customer service.

12. livinindarkness

livinindarkness New Member

Anyone else find these pants to be extremely long? I got a pair of the Greensboro and these have got to be the longest pants I've ever worn. I'm almost 6'4", so this is a really weird feeling for me. Neither my Naked and Famous or West is Dead jeans have nearly as crazy an inseam.

13. Stitches

Stitches Senior member

It's meant to be hemmed or cuffed. It would be difficult to get the "perfect" fit if there wasn't enough material to take away, hence they have a 34 and 36 inseam.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

14. gustin

gustin Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

We're putting a campaign of grey silk out in 2 minutes, if that interests any of you!

15. johnbrain

johnbrain Active Member

Dang @gustin y'all are busy today! I was going to wait to try on my first size 32s before ordering the heavy and its already gone.

Beeranddenim.wordpress.com