Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. zissou

zissou Senior member

I'd soak only the waist and wear them damp, then.

2. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

I agree with zissou, I soaked the waist on mine as everything else was fine. If your doing the waist and thru the hips try not to get the buttons and holes wet as they will stretch out and you don't really want those larger

good luck

3. stewpeanut

stewpeanut Member

@joshgustin any plans for a 3rd shirt cut without a button down collar? some of these heavier twills you've been dropping look great, but i'd prefer to see them with a standard collar (and a 2nd flapped pocket)

4. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

A vote from me too, I can't stand button downs

5. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

I prefer spread collars but dont mind button downs. I would, however, prefer to see an ordinary curved bottom.

6. stewpeanut

stewpeanut Member

i don't mind button down collars...just think they're not quite right for some of the heavier twills, flannels, and chambrays

7. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

Sorry, I wasn't conflating your opinion with mine, which is more adamant.

8. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

OK, I see what you're saying now. Our Legacy has made some nice heavy button-downs that worked, IMO. I don't know what the weight was. I'll be happy at this point if the shirt I ordered doesn't have any defects. I'm 2/2 w/ Gustin shirts so far, fingers crossed.

9. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

How accurate is the chino fit guide?

The slim fit guide doesn't seem that slim. However, on some of the posts in this thread, people suggest that it's too tight. I am a 32 waist and like my pants/jeans a little slim.

I have a Levis 514 in a size 32-30 that fit well. I have a pair of Luigi Borrelli cotton trousers that have a 7.75'' cuff opening that fit well, but aren't that slim.

BTW: I am 5'9'' 165lbs if that helps.

Can anyone compare the fit of Gustin chinos to the Levis 514?

Also, do the chinos match the fit guide out of the box or after a wash/dry?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

10. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

I ordered a 30 Slim based on measurements, but that ended up being too tight. I got a 31 slim and slightly tapered the thigh; it flares out too much. Otherwise, bang on fit.

I think the issue with measurements is that the tightness of the seat can't be accurately estimated based on standard set of dimensions (thigh, knee, waist). I have two pairs of other trousers that have nearly identical dimensions, but the seat is more rounded on one and thus doesn't fit as baggy.

Anyone see the olive drab coat? I have the army herringbone on order—the color is much more green and I prefer the brown buttons vs black on the olive drab—and a dark oak trucker that should be coming in soon. The olive drab is too close to either of those, but it looks like the fabric they should start offering the coat in...

Hint: please bring that heavy twill in a deep burgundy with brown buttons. Would look soooooo dope.

Edit:

Anyone else think the chore coat could stand to be a BIT trimmer, particularly in the arms? I still love mine, but I think it would work in place of a blazer (moreso) if sleeves and body were marginally trimmer.

JM2C

11. doodledoc

doodledoc Senior member

I have a bigger butt than most people my size and weight. The gray 32 slim cut chino https://www.weargustin.com/store/1424, according to the fit guide, looks good. However, I'm afraid that the seat may be a little too small. Do you think I should size up? It's look like that's what you did.

Did you dry your trousers in a washing machine? How did it fit out of the box and then post wash?

12. superseiyan

superseiyan Active Member

What's the leg opening like on the straights when you get TTS?

I'm in that terrible zone where the opening and waist for the slims is not working for the thighs, but to fit for the thighs i.e. a straight, the leg opening is ridiculous (based on the site's measurements). My thigh's stupid fault (I'll still keep doing legs though!).

I'm surprised none of the heavyweight denim manufacturers are making jeans for athletic body types I guess there's not that many of us.

13. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

I actually forgot to wash and dry them as I usually do with all pants before hemming, but my tailor knew that so he left the extra fabric from the hem inside the leg.

I will advise one thing I started doing with all garments from every brand. I use Retayne color fixative to cook the dye and resist color fade, on an initial soak, then wash/dry to get shrinkage out.

I use 2 capfuls per garment. Maybe 3 if it's a really large piece. Hot soak for 30 min and agitate every 10 or so minutes, then rinse and dry in dryer.

Retayne is on Amazon for less than $20.

14. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

I have to say it's a big thumbs up for the Heavy Americans. I like powder blue, super soft, worn-in jeans and was planning to wash the hell out of these; but they look so damned good right out of the box, I think I'll take Goldenbear's advice and just wear them. Yes, they're a tad loose, but the larger size makes the pockets much more accessible and I can stand with hands in pockets (while my boss is droning on and on during a meeting, for example) with complete comfort.

Personally, I don't think sanfordization is fool-proof. If you hot wash and hot dry sanfordized jeans, they're going to shrink.

On that note, here's a comparison photo with my 101s, which I've been machine washing on warm and hang drying for several months, and my brand new Heavy Americans.

Thanks for the input, fellas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

15. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

The new monster twill shirt fabric looks pretty nice. Trying out a tall M this time around.

I'm sure this just sounds greedy, but it would be cool to have a fit that's both slim and tall.