Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. zissou

zissou Senior member

You'll get some serious knee bags if you do squats in damp jeans. I don't even do initial soaks on jeans unless they are unsanforized denim. Just break 'em in the hard way... dry.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

2. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I'll soak 'em upside down just past the crotch (hoping capillary action doesn't draw anything too much beyond that) and then take that walk, if we get a freak 55°+ day sometime before spring.

3. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

Based on your habits and expectations, you may consider cutting your losses and selling them. It's unlikely you will attain a satisfying fit. They will likely stretch a little more but will remain tight in the hips, thighs and knees. Fit is subjective. And though others may be satisfied with a slightly constricted fit, you are not likely to get "comfortable as hell" out of this pair of jeans in the size you bought. In the future try sizing up or move away from raw selvedge denim altogether and try something off the rack at a department store. Though they don't get much love here, A&G, Joe's Jeans, J Brand, ect. will hold up fine for your purposes and can be found on sale for a similar price as Gustin.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

4. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Squats are your friend. Totally agree.

I stuff the jeans with clothes? They don't seem to put enough outward pressure to stretch denim. I've tried a foam roller in damp legs; worked well. For me, if the thighs can stretch from wear, they were too tight to begin with.

As long as your can barely button the top (initially) and the legs fit fine, that's likely the size you should buy. The wait will stretch at least 0.75" sometimes 1.5".

5. Hobbs32Reg

Hobbs32Reg Member

When you do a soak be sure to turn the denim inside out. I'm not sure why but it is what I have read and can't hurt.

6. raddoc

raddoc Well-Known Member

Get jeans that fit from the start. That is, you can button them up all the way without trouble. This idea that your jeans need to fit small at first is incorrect and they will never look good...unless you are woman or they are APC.

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

^buying jeans that fit right from the start invariably results in jeans that are too baggy after a few weeks of wear. They shouldn't be painful or impossible to button up, but just a little difficult to get on.

Turning denim inside out is only necessary when machine washing. This prevents creases from forming and fading during the wash. It's totally fine to soak and hand wash jeans right side out.

8. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I disagree. Not everyone likes their jeans to be skinny/slim and look like they're painted on. I prefer jeans that reach a good middle ground, not too baggy and not too tight. Yes, jeans will loosen up and stretch over time but that's not a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

+1, but then I'm an old geezer...

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

I also do not like this. I'm pretty sure we're not disagreeing here.

11. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

This is correct. There's a big difference between a little tightness (which is necessary to avoid bagging and excessive stretching) and being extremely uncomfortable.

12. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

Gotcha. I think I've read too many Gustin threads of guys who go down a size and can't get their jeans buttoned. I usually buy TTS or a size up based on measurements to ensure a comfortable fit. It's worked so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. zissou

zissou Senior member

Yeah, if you can't quite get them buttoned, that's one size too small in my book. By the time I'm ready to wash my jeans around six months, they've gotten pretty loose. Measuring my ideal waist and starting one inch smaller has worked out well in this regard.

14. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

So the knees and thighs are no issue. Those fit perfect. It's the waist that's primarily the problem. If they wouldn't loosen a bit, that would also help loosen the inseam, I'm guessing. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

15. NXNW

NXNW Senior member

Factor in the weight of the denim too. Summer lights <=10oz will stretch a full size or more, at least mine did to the point of looking silly to me. Anything 20oz+ skin tight, well, that's just asking for a fight.