Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Woah!! That Zimbabew is a beast!!

2. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Which denim fit is similar to the slim chino?

Heads up to anyone who ordered a pair:

I ordered a 30 slim Japan Miltary green chino by accident. i need a size 31 and would be willing to trade.

3. EPrest90

EPrest90 Senior member

I have a 31 slim chino in Navy that's a bit too big in the waist. However, it's been hemmed to a 32 inseam

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

4. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Thanks, but I meant 31 slim chino in the same fabric (Japanese military green).

5. Noirkw

Noirkw Well-Known Member

Will you be selling it if no bites for trade?

6. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I don't believe there are many reviews on casual flannel shirts, especially juxtaposed to JCrew.

I just received mine yesteday and here's my initial thoughts on the Blue Cloud Flannel:

https://www.weargustin.com/campaigns/1264

Sizing: XS slim for Gustin is slimmer than XS for JCrew, but not to a point which you would need to size up. However, if JCrew XS is already tight on you, perhaps consider a normal fit rather than a slim fit on Gustin. Sleeve length is about 33' I believe, which is similar to JCrew in same respective size.

Pros:
    - Flannel is extremely soft, probably even softer after a few washes.
    - Details are appreciated - casual characteristiscs: middle button on the collar and contrast coloring on the bottom button hole.
    - Buttons attached are not flimsy and the stitching seem solid with no loose threads

Cons:
    - MOP buttons are nice, but it's very small and thin.

Overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

7. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

So for all the denim experts here, I picked up a pair of the Okayama Standards in early 2014. When first putting them on, they were tight to the point where I could barely (and I mean barely) button the top button, and extremely tight to the point of being uncomfortable. Nine months later, I've worn them maybe 15-20 times (I wear jeans pretty infrequently) but much more over the past month. Probably 10 times since the beginning of December. They have loosened, but are still pretty tight when fully buttoned and the inseam is still pretty snug. I have not washed, rinsed, or soaked them. They have only been worn.

My questions are:

When can I expect these to loosen up to where they're really comfortable?
    At what point would it be good to wash or rinse them (ie number of wears)?
    How should I wash or rinse them?

This has been an investment in discomfort, with the hope that when they break in, they will be comfortable as hell to wear. I just want to be sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks!

8. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I had the same problem with some American Sixteeners I backed a year ago. They never got to the point where I could comfortably wear them. I probably should've sent them back for credit after trying them on but I stubbornly thought they'd break in if I only kept wearing them. Two dozen wears, a wash/hang-dry-while-stretching-the-waist, and another half dozen wears later, nope. Still uncomfortably tight in the hips/seat. Since I've got nothing left to lose I might soak them and then try to stretch them with a jury-rigged bar clamp.

Funny thing, though -- I got some Summerweights a few months later in the same size (32 straight, figuring at 60% of the heft they'd stretch more easily). They fit almost like pajamas, and even unstretched measured out a good 1/2"-3/4" looser in the waist and seat. If sizing were consistent at least I'd know which direction to go with Gustin... but it wasn't, so I haven't bought their denim since March and probably won't again.

I hope you have better luck!

9. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

Practically everyone in denimland would disagree with me here, but I think most buy their jeans too tight these days, aiming for the ideal stretch-to-fit magic.

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

+1

I buy them fit just right. If I need them to shrink a bit, I'll hot soak that shit. Haven't had any problems with this method yet.

11. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Jeans don't really stretch much in the thighs and knees. That's a bit of a myth. Waist? Sure.

I worry about thigh measurement the most and would prefer to size up one then shrink a bit in hot wash. Has worked well for me.

Sizing raw denim has a bit of a learning curve.

12. barrelntrigger

Yes, thighs and knees don't stretch. That's why I've stopped buying their slim fit after the first pair and started to buy their straight fit.

13. zissou

zissou Senior member

Jeans do indeed stretch in the thighs and knees if you wear them enough. That said, it is possible for a cut to be too slim in the first place. My fail safe method for sizing jeans is to buy them one inch smaller in the waist than a comfortable pair. They stretch to fit perfectly.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

14. barrelntrigger

If you need to stretch out thighs and knees, stuff them tightly with other articles of clothing for a week. It will stretch out a bit. I've done it.

15. gentfarmer

gentfarmer Senior member

I would do a 20-30 min cold soak hang until 80% dry then wear out for a long walk. Do some knee bends and squats. Put hands into the waistband and pockets to help stretch while walking. I did this, granted it was 103 degrees in summer, but it really worked to give more room in the seat, waist and pockets.